German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ripping part their beds? Is my dog the only one that does this? I got her a pillow when she was a small pup. Thought maybe she accidentally put small holes in it w/ her sharp little teeth. After that, it was a fun game to disembowel it. Cut to now, I gave her a nice blanket to lay on after she got spayed, something soft... well, she's worked a whole in it and is ripping all the guts out. WHY do they do this? How do I keep her from doing this? Is it because she's a pup or do they all do this even as adult dogs?

It's annoying and I'm not going to spend good money on a bed if she's just going to EAT it!!!

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Same thing here....Molly has a tanty and kills her bed(s) including her outside hammock type bed! My old dog used to do the same, I would get home and there would be 'snow'( stuffing) everywhere! So I used to make her a bed out of really thick canvas or denim and use a duvet as the filling. Never did manage to murder that one!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm kinda peeved at her right now. If she wants to eat her bed, then why should I make a special one for her not too... maybe she'll just get the floor for a while! Gurrrr....

I'm sure I'll cave in and do something nice for her, but gurr!

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
LOL!!! So frustrating I know! Molly just has a big pillow and a blanket at the mo as I haven't fixed the last one she tore into!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bella runs from the kitchen, sneak attacks her bed in the family room, runs back into the kitchen, turns right around and does it a few more times.

It's her puppy bed and she's now 65 pounds so we really don't care and just laugh. But, she's always beat her bed up. We'd jokingly turn to eat other and ask "what did the bed did to her that got her so angry?".

We've been waiting for her to stop before we go out and buy a really nice one.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HAHAH, see, not that's funny and one of the reason's why dogs are such joys to have around. They sure know how to keep you laughing w/ their antics. I can so see any dog doing that. Thanks for the laugh!

·
Registered
622 Posts
We try to make them as comfortable as can be, but noooooooooo, they gotta get to the stuffing inside! Heck dog, it's not a twinkie!
We bought Bear a nice pad for his crate, even put in a pillow, and he destroyed them both. Now all he has in there is some toys. His bed was so comfy, even the cats couldn't keep out.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Our first two dogs (GSD & Akita) destroyed every dog bed I ever bought them, well into their adult years, before I finally gave up. They obviously thought the carpet was just fine and the beds another toy.

Our 2nd GSD Klaus never destroyed any dog beds, but would only occasionally sleep in one.

Tora (mix) destroyed everything when she was a pup. She was a holy terror: car covers, grill covers, dog beds, whatever. Once she settled down (around 3 or 4 yrs!) she quickly came to love using a dog bed for an actual place to sleep.

Max loves using dog beds and has never attempted to destroy one. So now I have two dog beds in the bedroom, two dog beds in the family room, a dog bed in the dining room (by the big window to the front yard) and one in the living room (in the crate that stays open but they still go inside and use the dog bed.)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Bella don't have a bed she will eat it and I'm worried about chokeing she jus has the flat crate foor to sleep on. I feel bad because how comfy can that be and prob not good for hips. But she chew it Up (sigh) I really want her to have a bed too. Every one else has one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bella around 35 pounds in her puppy bed.

She's now pushing 70 pounds and not only beats it up but also still uses it. It's kind of funny. She curls up in it and half her body is hanging over the sides but she's still able to take her naps in it.

Sometimes she shakes it around, it goes inside out, upside down, and then she'll climb into it and look at us as if to ask "what's wrong with this thing? it doesn't feel right".

Attachments

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I guess I've been lucky. Hondo has never torn up any of his bedding, and he even has "his" pillow. He hasn't even torn up any of his toys.

He doesn't destroy, but if it squeaks:

squeaks...squeak...squeak...squeak...squeak...squeak...squeak...squeak...."Will someone please throw that dog's toy for him?"....squeak...squeak...squeak.....argh...

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Ripping their beds apart... I wish...

Stark perfers mine!

*This photo was from when he was a puppy and my sister forgot to crate him when she left. Still makes me laugh!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I couldn't stop laughing when I walked in from a 9 hour work day to this. My sister was home with him all day, left 20 minutes before I was due home and he decided he was bored and dragged my bed 3-4 feet from where it was and chewed the box spring. I was actually proud about how far he moved my bed.. he likes tug.. lol. ;)

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I couldn't stop laughing when I walked in from a 9 hour work day to this. My sister was home with him all day, left 20 minutes before I was due home and he decided he was bored and dragged my bed 3-4 feet from where it was and chewed the box spring. I was actually proud about how far he moved my bed.. he likes tug.. lol. ;)

Thank goodness you don't have a water bed! :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts