German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Normal for an 8 week old to not want to leave the security of home and venture out into the big wide world. Just work on getting a itty little bit further out each day. At first, just getting on the front lawn is fine, then the sidewalk, then to the end of the property, and so on. Bring toys and treats with you, and entice your pup to take a few steps and reward with treats, engage him in play with your tug toys: make the walk fun and exciting!

At this age, to exercise them properly, find an enclosed, fenced area and let your pup run and explore off leash. Good way to practice your recall by calling your pup and running the other way - your pup will want to chase you! (NEVER run after your pup - you don't want him thinking that you chasing him is a fun game) - he should always be chasing you, so make yourself fun and exciting!

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Because he's a baby and has no idea why he has something around his neck with you pulling on it. A very normal response.

If you put him on lead, you follow him.

Think you need to spend time playing games making it fun to come to you. Be the most fun being in his universe and he'll want to come with you.

It takes time, patience and maturity.

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts
When i take him for a walk he resists me and stand there and pulls back on the leash
He won't walk with you because you haven't taught him to walk on leash yet. :) As easy a skill as this may seem to you, it's actually not that easy for a puppy, especially a very young one who has no idea what's expected of him. Training is a process that can take time, patience, and consistency.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
You should show him you are his mother, whine like a doggy yourself and see if he comes to you outside himself, stroke him on every step. Maybe better to try it first inside. Later on, this behaviour will be a behaviour of a leader, literally, teach him to follow you. Forcing him with the lead isn't a good idea at all, he might develop aversion to walking with you.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
start slow. walk around indoors with your pup with his
collar on and leash attached. do it for a few minutes.
put your dog's collar on and leash him and let him drag
the leash around. watch your dog closely when he has
collar on and leash attached. let your pup where his collar
and leash for a few minutes. then 15 minutes maybe a 1/2
hour later do it again. kepp doing it for short periods of time
indoors and outside. walk around the yard a little. then walk
from the backyard to the front yard. walk up and down the driveway.
walk a short distance down the street. build up. do things slowly but
sure and sound.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
My GSD pups don't like leaving the yard for months.

I don't even try to fight it anymore. Instead I pack them in the car, go to a new place, and then the leash training and walking begins....

Good luck! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts