German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that we get a lot of these threads but it really hit home for me this past week why it is SO important.
Last Tuesday this gorgeous boy showed up at my house

He is super sweet, loves kids, cats and other dogs, good with livestock and chickens, loves to cuddle and play... Teeth cleaned, ears clean, nails (even dewclaws!) neatly trimmed. OMG the sweetest dog I have ever had show up at my house. Unfortunately, he is also intact, has no tags, and isn't microchipped. He's been here a week now and Singe hates his guts.
I've posted flyers everywhere and placed ads and posted him on all the lost dog groups on Facebook. So, if no one has claimed him by Friday, he will be going to a new home. I wish so much that he was going back to his family. I know that he misses them. When I took him to be checked for a chip, he would jump up wagging his tail every time the door opened. Then he would sigh and his whole body would just droop when it was another stranger. He's so attached to me that I know that it will break his heart when he leaves us too. But, he will be going to a nice home where he will live in the house and have kids to play with.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I have my girl chipped, the thing about those cheap/discounted chip events is they require spay/neuter. How could I do that to my 2 month (at the time of chipping)

·
Registered
423 Posts
I hope the owner comes forward. I would be going nuclear if I was missing a pet....

My last two GSD's have had the green ear tattoo for ID. Below was Kaos at around 9 weeks old. The green dye eventually goes away. The ear looks normal and the green ID number is left......

Why is it unfortunate that he is intact?? I would never neuter a dog unless it was medically necessary....

·
Registered
624 Posts
Microchipping is the first part of making it easier to recover a lost dog. A combo Fur Code collar/tag for your dog is the other part.

You're given an ID that can be be scanned by a smartphone with a QR reader or you can look up the info on the Internet. This makes finding the owner of the dog a real breeze.

Considering how cheap and cost-effective BOTH methods are, there is every reason to do them. It will save you a lot of stress and worry in reuniting you with your dog!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Dainerra, just checking in case.... (I know this problem is becoming less common) but did you make sure that they used a universal scanner?

There are still a few scanners/chips lingering out there that aren't compatible and also some problems with chips migrating from time to time.

Cute boy, sometimes people will drop dogs off too, who are in good shape because they've had a sudden change of fortune. I know it's not the right thing to do but it happens.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have my girl chipped, the thing about those cheap/discounted chip events is they require spay/neuter.
I have never seen one of those events require a dog to be neutered.

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah they used a universal scanner.
His owner picked him up last night. My husband made me give him to her but at least I got to give her an earful before she left.

She has lived in the area for a couple months. Drives past my house every day, lives less than 10 minutes away. She has seen him here on my porch for the past week!!!! and was just waiting for him to come back home. She saw me outside last night with him so she decided to stop because she saw that we had him on a leash.
It seems that she has always let him roam and it's not uncommon for him to be gone for a week or more. I told her that if he had showed up in the yard two houses down, they would have shot him on sight. Told her all about the dog/livestock laws in AR plus reminded her that it's going to be tourist season soon and we are right on the highway. Not to mention all of the people who hit dogs on purpose because they are sick twisted individuals.

She told me that she wasn't worried about it. I told her if he shows up at my house again that he'll be going to a home that will keep him safe. :(
Poor baby. Even if I never see him again I'm probably always going to be worried about him. He deserves better

·
Registered
270 Posts
yeah they used a universal scanner.
His owner picked him up last night. My husband made me give him to her but at least I got to give her an earful before she left.

She has lived in the area for a couple months. Drives past my house every day, lives less than 10 minutes away. She has seen him here on my porch for the past week!!!! and was just waiting for him to come back home. She saw me outside last night with him so she decided to stop because she saw that we had him on a leash.
It seems that she has always let him roam and it's not uncommon for him to be gone for a week or more. I told her that if he had showed up in the yard two houses down, they would have shot him on sight. Told her all about the dog/livestock laws in AR plus reminded her that it's going to be tourist season soon and we are right on the highway. Not to mention all of the people who hit dogs on purpose because they are sick twisted individuals.

She told me that she wasn't worried about it. I told her if he shows up at my house again that he'll be going to a home that will keep him safe. :(
Poor baby. Even if I never see him again I'm probably always going to be worried about him. He deserves better
Wow...there's a guy on my street that lets his dog walk its self...almost getting hit by cars ...he literally opens the front door and lets it walk its self around the neighborhood. I discovered he did this only a few weeks ago when I thought the dog got out and went to go inform him...really considering calling the city or the non emergency line next time (I live in a city..not rural)

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
we don't have a leash law so I can't even complain about this woman. One day later and I could have told her to go pound sand. That would have been 10 days and legally he would have been my dog :(
The sad thing is, she thinks that she is giving him a great doggie life - freedom to roam wherever he pleases

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
keep him. she clearly doesn't actually care about him if she's letting him wander on his own. She had a chance. Send that beautiful boy to his new home where he'll be loved.

ETA: I don't usually condone rehoming a dog like that if you know who the owner is, but its clear she doesn't really care about him even after being warned about the area and tourist season. He deserves better.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Another vote to keep that poor dog. That woman doesn't deserve him or any other dog....

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, technically I don't know WHO the owner is. Just the road that she lives on. My daughter said he was here yesterday morning then went to the neighbors to play with the kids. He comes to my house to sleep.
She knows where he is. Drove by on her way home so it's been almost 24 hours and she hasn't stopped by to get him.

I'm going to talk to my friend today. She should be at work this morning so I'll ask her if she wants me to bring him over this afternoon.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
well, technically I don't know WHO the owner is. Just the road that she lives on. My daughter said he was here yesterday morning then went to the neighbors to play with the kids. He comes to my house to sleep.
She knows where he is. Drove by on her way home so it's been almost 24 hours and she hasn't stopped by to get him.

I'm going to talk to my friend today. She should be at work this morning so I'll ask her if she wants me to bring him over this afternoon.

poor dog. Pretty sad when your dog wants to be anywhere but at home with you. Such a sweet boy got landed with an idiot for an owner. Hope your friend is able to get him this afternoon.

·
Registered
32,076 Posts

That reminds me of a story:

One day an animal lover saw a dog shivering on her porch, so she let the dog in. He politely wagged his tail and then, as if he owned the house went over near the fire, and lay down and went to sleep. 2 hours later he got up and went to the door, and cocked his head asking without words to be let out. The woman complied.

Every day for a week the dog did this exact same thing.

She saw that he was fed and groomed and decided he must be someone's dog, so she affixed a note to the collar explaining that the dog was sleeping at her house every afternoon.

The next day, the dog came back as usual. There was a note affixed to his collar in a different color. On it was written:

Thank you for being kind to Toby. He is an old boy, and is very gentle and plays all the time with my seven boys. He is very nice and we love him a lot.

So she wrote another note and put it on his collar: "That's OK, I suppose he just needs a nap in the day."

The following day there was another note on Toby's collar: "Thank you for understanding, could I come too?"

·
Registered
32,076 Posts
Since you have no leash law there. If you know, in general, who owns the dog, and you give the dog to someone else, you can get yourself into trouble.

If you have a shelter where you can drop off stray dogs, some of them have a policy that the dog must be altered before they can go home -- though I really don't like that policy, it may be a good thing in this case. Also, the neighbor will have to get off her butt and go and get him, if she wants him. Maybe you can ask them to call you if the dog's time is up, and no one claims him. Then, I think it would be safe to give him to your friend.

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I talked to animal control. We were past the time limit that the dog was legally mine when his owner came to pick him up.
he was at my house for 9 days. as far as animal control/the law is concerned he is legally my dog to do whatever I want with.

Since we don't have a leash law here, AC doesn't take dogs that look like they might have a home. They consider a dog "owned" if it has a collar on or looks "reasonably well-cared for" Strays are kept for 3 days and then put down. They ask that if you have a dog show up that you make an effort for at least 7 days to find the owner. After that the dog is considered to be yours.

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was waiting because the Humane Society told me I had to wait 9-10 days before I could rehome him. If I had known that, I wouldn't have let the woman take him in the first place.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts