German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was on the phone yesterday, and puppy (5 and half months old), was about to chew an unauthorised item as he was getting bored. As I did not want to interrupt my phone conversation I instead:

• Snapped fingers
  • When he turned towards me, I made facial expression for "No. Stop immediately"
  • Hand gesture pointing to his bed.

He immediately went to his bed. I did not teach him the "snapping of fingers part", and the facial expression was more of a reflex.

While I am happy with the result, I would like to improve or build upon this for situations where we need to be quiet. Right from the start I have been associating verbal commands with hand gestures, and also trying to get him to understand when I point to things.

The one thing I did not teach is the snapping of fingers, so wondering if there is anything I need to do to strengthen this, or if it is already something he has just learned? Is it just because it is a sudden short noise? Will he eventually ignore it? Do I need to reward it, or reward just the action after the following command. Or should I link this snapping of fingers to "watch me" ?
I guess this will work only in situations where there isn't much ambient noise, but I guess its ok, because I'm looking to use this method just when we need to be quiet.

· Registered
118 Posts
I was on the phone yesterday, and puppy (5 and half months old), was about to chew an unauthorised item as he was getting bored. As I did not want to interrupt my phone conversation I instead:

• Snapped fingers
  • When he turned towards me, I made facial expression for "No. Stop immediately"
  • Hand gesture pointing to his bed.

He immediately went to his bed. I did not teach him the "snapping of fingers part", and the facial expression was more of a reflex.

While I am happy with the result, I would like to improve or build upon this for situations where we need to be quiet. Right from the start I have been associating verbal commands with hand gestures, and also trying to get him to understand when I point to things.

The one thing I did not teach is the snapping of fingers, so wondering if there is anything I need to do to strengthen this, or if it is already something he has just learned? Is it just because it is a sudden short noise? Will he eventually ignore it? Do I need to reward it, or reward just the action after the following command. Or should I link this snapping of fingers to "watch me" ?
I guess this will work only in situations where there isn't much ambient noise, but I guess its ok, because I'm looking to use this method just when we need to be quiet.
You spoke dog.
I interpreted it as, You interrupted the dog snapping your fingers, dog sensed your emotional state, dog obeyed your command as you gave a dominant command.
Call it "dominance", "leadership", "alpha", "pack leader", "master", "pet parent", "authority figure", this is most likely why your dog obeyed you.
You don't always need to offer a reward or give a correction to have your dog respect you as a leader. Good and proper body language and communication many times is enough. I would still reward the dog after they went to bed to reinforce that listening to you is not only required, but fun and rewarding.

· Super Moderator
6,652 Posts
Dogs are always learning from us, whether we intend to teach them something or not, good and bad. These are smart dogs and they pick up things 24/7 by just being around us. I would say that the majority of what my dog knows are things I never taught him, not the commands that I did teach.
And it’s really easy to inadvertently train a behavior you weren’t expecting, lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts