German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 7 year old female gsd. She’s always been a little weird around other people’s dogs, never our own though. We thought we socialized her properly as a pup but apparently we didn’t. We used to live in a house with a little fenced in back yard and that’s when she showed the most aggression towards other dogs. 2 years ago we moved to a big ranch where she never has to be on a leash and she can run and roam all she wants, and since then her behavior towards other dogs has greatly improved. If they show up, she’ll charge at them but then stop, do a little sniffing and then goes on about her business. And there are a lot of other dogs out here that just show up, but they are all male. Well, my mother moved onto our property in a trailer with her 2 little dogs who are also female. One of them is about 10 pounds the other is like 4. The bigger one is mean and wants to be dominant. My dog attacked her one day after she tried to be feisty with her. We thought ok we have to keep them separate for a while and/or make sure they are supervised if they are out together. She never attacked that dog again. Instead a few months later she went after the smaller more submissive one, and for no reason at all. I was not outside when it happened and my mom did not let me know that she had her dogs out. What’s weird is that they went months being perfectly fine around each other. It’s not like it happens every time they see each other. I did some research and learned that female on female aggression can be bad and sometimes German Shepard’s just don’t like smaller animals. Keep in mind, my dog is not aggressive at all. She’s a super sweet heart. My mom was of course pissed and I explained to her that we just got to comfortable and we needed to do better keeping them apart. My dogs usually stay out about all day playing. So I said when your ready to let your dogs out for a while let me know and I will put her up, unless I’m outside with her because she listens to us very well. So we did good with that for a while. I usually would be outside, my dog acted like she didn’t care about hers they were fine around each other. A few months went by and my mom got a little too comfortable again. She started letting her dogs out and not telling me. This went on for months (which makes it just as much my fault for not correcting her) and nothing happened, my dog didn’t seem fazed. So the last attack was about six months ago. Well today, my dog was on my porch. She let her dogs out. My porch is about 50 yards away from my moms. I was not outside, my dog charged down there and grabbed up the little one, slung her around, and then let her go and ran back up to the house. My mom is pissed. She says she hates my dog and she wishes she would die, which I get to an extent. But I tried explaining again, that this is not her fault because we knew there was potential for it to happen and yet we didn’t do what we had to to prevent it. I said yet again that we got too comfortable not thinking it would happen again and it did so therefore it is our fault for not taking the proper precautions. But why is this happening? It seems so random. She’s such a sweet dog it makes no sense. And the other dog is a tiny timid little thing. My dog is obsessive over our cats and likes to chase them but when she gets close to them she doesn’t attack. I just don’t get why she does this unprovoked. Is there something else I can do? Or someway I can atleast better understand what is making her do this?

·
Registered
711 Posts
I think the only safe answer is to put a fence around your mother's trailer so her little dogs are safe. You need to provide

a safe place for them to do their business. And if you plan on leaving your dog out all the time, the fence has to be

sturdy enough and high enough to keep your dog out. I've had a shepherd (female) that could easily jump a 6 ft.

privacy fence, but the one I have now could never jump that high.

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
I like the idea of a fence around your mother's trailer because apparently your mother will not follow your direction or take responsibility for her action.

·
Registered
124 Posts
And if you don't want to deal with a tall fence all the way around (or even partially), a decent kennel run would be enough for such small dogs. I agree that protecting them is essential--it may be no one's "fault, or everyone's fault, but when you get right down to it, there is a pretty easy solution.

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
712 Posts
Agree with the fence, if it’s not in the budget for a super tall privacy fence; make it hot. Get a wire around it to keep both parties contained.

Honestly, I see why your mom is upset about her little dog getting bombarded but she knows the ris of letting hers out unsupervised and plus it is your property where you have been gracious enough to let her live.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts