German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I am in the same situation as you, supposedly my pup was 7 weeks old on 2/23 and when I got him he was 3lbs! He's now almost 11weeks and around 5-5.5lbs. I still have the feeling I got one from the younger litter the breeder had (he maintains its not and even gave me papers for the older litter so idk) , which would make him just now 8 almost 9 weeks. He's still small but he had hookworms very bad and as soon as we took care of that he gained two pounds in a week! I have gotten a lot of drama from some German shepherd groups about it as if his size was my fault but dont worry, none of this is you're fault and your guy will grow and be a happy pup as long as you care for him the best you can! If you need someone to vent to about being overwhelmed and frustrated by this feel free to message me, I've been through every emotion imaginable about this.
Wow I’m sorry to you’re in the same situation. You’re right it is super stressful and I’ve definitely held back on posting him on FB groups because I know the negativity is just gonna make me doubt my dog. I’m glad you’re still positive about it but TLC should pay off if the genetics are right. I don’t have anything against Dwarf (I’d definitely neuter) but the thing is that I wanted an actual working dog, and intimidating dog since he’s going to be trained as a guard dog so I hope he pulls through. I’ll dm you I’d really like to see some pics of your fur baby.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Did the ears stay up every day? I still haven’t seen mine with his ears up but I read that depending on the age they’ll go up and go back down them back up
His ears were always up (I told him every day how stronk his ears are 😂) , just a few days ago they began to teepee, but I've had a gsd take until 5 months before they even started showing life.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
His ears were always up (I told him every day how stronk his ears are 😂) , just a few days ago they began to teepee, but I've had a gsd take until 5 months before they even started showing life.
I’m getting a full exam done tomorrow on my guy (I still haven’t named him, I’ve been to busy researching his size problem) you have a very handsome boy though and I appreciate your offer. Let’s keep each other updated on their growth:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I’m getting a full exam done tomorrow on my guy (I still haven’t named him, I’ve been to busy researching his size problem) you have a very handsome boy though and I appreciate your offer. Let’s keep each other updated on their growth:)
For sure! Thank you, I believe you're guy can make a full recovery also! Best of luck to you guys! I have a thread called Little Luca's growth I plan on updating on Sundays if you want to follow, and I have plenty of pics from the last month I can send if you like 😊

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
For sure! Thank you, I believe you're guy can make a full recovery also! Best of luck to you guys! I have a thread called Little Luca's growth I plan on updating on Sundays if you want to follow, and I have plenty of pics from the last month I can send if you like 😊
Thank you!! I hope he can too and same to you! I’ll follow your thread:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Okay so before I found this website I spent numerous hours watching videos of GSD puppies, grow videos, training videos etc. Then I spent even more hours researching Pituitary Dwarfism then again looking at those dogs in videos. Then looking for ways to determine age and then I frankly landed here where other owners had similar concerns. So I got my GSD puppy on 03/05/2021, his birthdate supposedly is 01/15/2021. I say supposedly because I want to believe that he is really about 5-6 weeks old which would not be a good thing either but would give me a piece of mind due to his size. So long story short when I got him he was exactly 7 weeks old according to the birthdate I was provided with. I had him weighed that same day and he came in a a whopping 4.5 pounds! Which to my understanding is not an ideal weight at all not even for a female pup. My fella is a guy, a really small one at that. I feel that he is younger because of the way he acts, how he cries. How he runs with a little bounce and the way he looks obviously but I can’t find a reason as to why the breeder would be lying to me. I don’t think it was a rush to sell them that doesn’t make sense to me since they would still sell. I also counted his teeth but somehow I counted 25 I might’ve counted wrong though. So I have provided some pictures. The breeder told me to give him goat milk if I could get a hold of some. He also mentioned that the mom was not caring for the puppies properly. Whatever that means, he didn’t elaborate and the scary thing is that his other siblings are the same or even smaller. I was super excited to finally get a GSD and now I just feel disappointed. I wanted to take him back but I felt bad and the breeder said he would take responsibility if it turns out to be a genetic defect. Any input would help. I’ll provide some pictures.
I was in the same situation as you a few weeks back. I got Stella at 7 weeks buts she looked much younger. She is now 13.5 weeks and about 20 pounds. The key is to be careful with the vaccines if you don’t trust exactly how old they are. You may think you are giving your pup their 3rd round at 14-16 weeks but they could still be 11-13 weeks and still have their mothers antibodies, rendering the shot useless. As long as your pup is eating and gaining weight, I don’t think you have anything to worry about!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I totally agree! The vet said we should wait just in case or give him 2 of the same shots but I’ve decided to wait and just keep him away from other dogs in the meantime just to be on the safe side. I’m glad to hear that your pup is doing well I weighed mine today since he’s supposed to be 8 weeks today and he weighed 5.3 pounds so gained a little over a pound in the week that I’ve had him :)

·
Registered
621 Posts
@GSDOzzy
I thought he might be the runt, but you said his siblings were even smaller!

I got Juno at 11.5 weeks and she was then what they typically are at 8 weeks, the breeder said. These are her first few days at home. I have no photos or weight measusrements of her when she was younger.

·
Super Moderator
32,747 Posts
There's no way Ozzy is 8 weeks old. He's not just small, he looks very immature. The fact that the breeder suggested goat milk is another clue, an 8 week old puppy shouldn't need a milk replacer, that's something I'd expect during the weaning process. Here is Cava at 5 weeks old, she was 8.2 pounds, the smallest of her litter:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well, I think your little one was 4 weeks old when he came to you, not 7. I just recently happened to see a not-quite-4-week-old GSD puppy, and she looked similar to your guy. She’s almost 4 months now and still looks a tad small for her age, but certainly within the norm.

Here is a pic of my Beau and a couple of his litter mates at 3 weeks, 6 days:

Beau’s the guy to the back and right with the sky blue collar. I don’t know what he weighed at that age. Here he is at 8 weeks:

I took Beau home at 12 weeks, and at 13 weeks the vet weighed him at just under 30 lbs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That was going to be my comment ,
the face hasn't matured another for 8 weeks.
This is Azra at 8 weeks coming home

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
I totally agree! The vet said we should wait just in case or give him 2 of the same shots but I’ve decided to wait and just keep him away from other dogs in the meantime just to be on the safe side. I’m glad to hear that your pup is doing well I weighed mine today since he’s supposed to be 8 weeks today and he weighed 5.3 pounds so gained a little over a pound in the week that I’ve had him :)
How is your pup doing? Loved this thread bc I related to it so much so I wanted to check in. Has your puppy been gaining weight? Stella was 8 pounds at 8 weeks and today she weighed in at 26 pounds at 14.5 weeks.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts