German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so before I found this website I spent numerous hours watching videos of GSD puppies, grow videos, training videos etc. Then I spent even more hours researching Pituitary Dwarfism then again looking at those dogs in videos. Then looking for ways to determine age and then I frankly landed here where other owners had similar concerns. So I got my GSD puppy on 03/05/2021, his birthdate supposedly is 01/15/2021. I say supposedly because I want to believe that he is really about 5-6 weeks old which would not be a good thing either but would give me a piece of mind due to his size. So long story short when I got him he was exactly 7 weeks old according to the birthdate I was provided with. I had him weighed that same day and he came in a a whopping 4.5 pounds! Which to my understanding is not an ideal weight at all not even for a female pup. My fella is a guy, a really small one at that. I feel that he is younger because of the way he acts, how he cries. How he runs with a little bounce and the way he looks obviously but I can’t find a reason as to why the breeder would be lying to me. I don’t think it was a rush to sell them that doesn’t make sense to me since they would still sell. I also counted his teeth but somehow I counted 25 I might’ve counted wrong though. So I have provided some pictures. The breeder told me to give him goat milk if I could get a hold of some. He also mentioned that the mom was not caring for the puppies properly. Whatever that means, he didn’t elaborate and the scary thing is that his other siblings are the same or even smaller. I was super excited to finally get a GSD and now I just feel disappointed. I wanted to take him back but I felt bad and the breeder said he would take responsibility if it turns out to be a genetic defect. Any input would help. I’ll provide some pictures.
F3BBAAFA-F701-4851-AA06-AF9B96299BA9.jpeg
1477DA39-DBD4-4D8F-A83D-785DAF8E0179.jpeg
93084B68-607B-4EA8-9E49-0FA3DBEA4AAF.jpeg
D10925F4-E7B7-47A8-AA56-268B146B5D06.jpeg
DFC2B213-DB07-47B3-9AD2-E6078C730D5F.jpeg
B21662CE-A2F3-4D3A-8570-6917FE946117.jpeg
8409CD91-7DBB-48FB-82DE-998D61E8A273.jpeg
F73CDDAD-7897-4315-98F3-D56C4297BC3F.jpeg

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
That's not just smaller, looks too young to be away. No idea why a breeder would lie but I find in many cases where a breeder to willing to sell dogs younger than 8 weeks (stated 7 weeks in your case), they are willing to sell dogs much younger than 8 weeks ie 4-5

Not the end of the world can can be a bit of a battle with early health and eventually bite inhibition. The good news is they often catch up within a few months, none the worse for wear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems very young. Here is my boy when he was 8 weeks.

View attachment 570517
Seems younger to me. This is my 8 week old her first day home. 18 lbs.
View attachment 570516
Yeah big difference from my puppy and that’s what I can’t wrap my head around because size wise he looks to me like he’s 3-4 weeks old but he’s got his teeth and eats solids so that’s where my concern about dwarfism came in. The breeder said give him time to develop.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's not just smaller, looks too young to be away. No idea why a breeder would lie but I find in many cases where a breeder to willing to sell dogs younger than 8 weeks (stated 7 weeks in your case), they are willing to sell dogs much younger than 8 weeks ie 4-5

Not the end of the world can can be a bit of a battle with early health and eventually bite inhibition. The good news is they often catch up within a few months, none the worse for wear.
Exactly! The way he acts is nothing like my other dog was at his age. I know they’re all different but my other dog was learning sit, down and leave it during his 1st week home and I’ve had this little guy for 5 days now and his attention span just isn’t there and with my other dog by 5 days my arms looked like I had been attacked by a cat and he would nip a lot more and that’s not the case with this guy at all. I feel like I have a chihuahua haha.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Are you sure the pups are purebred? Maybe a smaller type of dog wandered by at just the right moment.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That pup looks 5 weeks old, at the most.
Hans at 8 weeks. View attachment 570519
At this point I’m almost convinced he’s around there because his appetite is not one of an 8 week old and either he’s super confident or he has no fear because he want even phased by the sound of the vacuum and I reas they develop fear around 6-8 weeks. Very good looking German Shepherd btw.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you sure the pups are purebred? Maybe a smaller type of dog wandered by at just the right moment.
Haha that would be a story to tell 😂 but assuming that did not happen then to my knowledge they are purebred. The parents both looked big and healthy with a good background.

·
Registered
25 Posts
She was around 13lbs. She mostly only held it that long at night. She was a bit tired when we got home but was adventurous and outgoing. She was also whiny but she has become a talkative, opinionated little girl that likes to make herself heard so it might just have been her personality 🤷🏻‍♀️. She’s 4 and 1/2 months old now and weighs around 42lbs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
She was around 13lbs. She mostly only held it that long at night. She was a bit tired when we got home but was adventurous and outgoing. She was also whiny but she has become a talkative, opinionated little girl that likes to make herself heard so it might just have been her personality 🤷🏻‍♀️. She’s 4 and 1/2 months old now and weighs around 42lbs.
And she loved the goat milk, wasn’t too keen on eating the crunchy food for the first little while.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And she loved the goat milk, wasn’t too keen on eating the crunchy food for the first little while.
I see, I’m glad she’s doing great! I have been boiling the goat milk until this morning. I read that I’ve been doing it wrong because you’re not supposed to boil the milk for them since it kills the good bacteria so now I’m giving him raw goat milk. I really hope it helps and he’s not a dwarf /:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am in the same situation as you, supposedly my pup was 7 weeks old on 2/13 and when I got him he was 3lbs! He's now almost 11weeks and around 5-5.5lbs. I still have the feeling I got one from the younger litter the breeder had (he maintains its not and even gave me papers for the older litter so idk) , which would make him just now 8 almost 9 weeks. He's still small but he had hookworms very bad and as soon as we took care of that he gained two pounds in a week! I have gotten a lot of drama from some German shepherd groups about it as if his size was my fault but dont worry, none of this is you're fault and your guy will grow and be a happy pup as long as you care for him the best you can! If you need someone to vent to about being overwhelmed and frustrated by this feel free to message me, I've been through every emotion imaginable about this.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts