German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to know why or how this adorable little pups fur seems to be tan with faded black, while the others are solid black and tan. I don't know much but have been doing a little research..I read that the sable gene is dominant..so how could her brothers have the black and tan pattern and not her? Does it make a difference if she is female?

Thoughts?:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
31,707 Posts
Which one of her parents is a sable? Basically it's just how the genes go together. No, it has nothing to do with her sex.

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
If both her parents are sable and sable is dominant, they both would have to be carriers of the black&tan, meaning they both would have had black and tan parents back in their lines. (if I remember genetics correctly from high school)

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
All of my puppies siblings were different colors. View attachment 56585

It is normal. :) having a sable puppy is not out of the ordinary.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Those puppies are all still sable even though they are different shades. Having sable and black and tan pups in the same litter is different, because sable is the dominant color so pups would all come out sable unless both parents are recessive for B/T.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
My pup's litter has something for everyone! Some black, one dark b/t, and some sable. Parents were black sable and dark b/t, but grandparents were blacks, sable, and b/t.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts