German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything I read about GSD's after we rescued our boy made me believe that he was going to be a monster. I thought he would be a furry shark that would bite me all the time, and have so much energy that I wouldn't be able to stand it.

Welp, that is not the case with our handsome boy. He is the calmest most mellow dog I have ever had in my life. He is so chill, and would prefer to take naps over playing and going on adventures. If you put him in the car, he is asleep before we get out of our neighborhood, we take him on walks and he walks very calmly taking time to sniff every light pole, mailbox, or stray kids toy. When we get home from our walk, he gets a drink and then sleeps the rest of the night. Anytime we are home he is usually laying around chewing on his bone, or sleeping. He does not play, like I try everything to get him excited, the most he will do is jump up and put his paws on my shoulders and give kisses. We do have another dog that he will try to play with, she will play with him for probably less than 10 minutes then they both go and take naps.

It worries me that he is this calm at 8 months old. It almost makes me think that there is something wrong with him health wise. Like he doesn't have the energy to do things.

Does anyone else have or has had a very mellow puppy? is this normal?

·
Super Moderator
7,267 Posts
How long have you had him?It takes time for a dog to feel at home and not that he's a temporary visitor.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
How long have you had him?It takes time for a dog to feel at home and not that he's a temporary visitor.
The dog is eight months old and she has had him since he was 3 1/2 months. Maybe it is just a lower drive dog, what does the vet say?

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
I am sure many would love the GSD look with this temperament. But I don't think it is normal. If you are worried I would have a vet do a physical, blood panel and parasite test.

·
Registered
582 Posts
What I've found with shelter dogs is they are often at their worst in the shelter. Our sweet girl they couldn't get rid of fast enough, she was wild, fought the leash, scratched and jumped on everyone she got near. She liked us and calmly sat down in front of us and wagged her tail. She is a sweet, sweet girl who wouldn't even think of touching the people things, talks quietly to her toys and she likes to walk with or without a leash. Lucky was in the shelter because a county had ordered him out. He was scaling a 6 foot fence to steal and eat chickens. He turned out to be a big old couch potato who kissed everyone he met. It just depends on the environment they are in and how they are treated. But you should have his health checked, just to make you feel better. Sounds like he's well bred, not puppy mill with anxiety problems. Perhaps he is suffering from Sweetie Pie Disease <G>.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
I'm kinda jealous. Sometimes I wish mine would just chill, especially the days I feel tired or sick.
That’s why you get an expen and put him in there. At least, that worked for me.

·
Registered
863 Posts
That’s why you get an expen and put him in there. At least, that worked for me.
I thought about it a while back. But at the end pf the day, that doesn't work for me. First, he'll jump out of it. He once jumped over the baby gates I have all over the house. (He hasn't tried again since.) Besides the ones I've seen are not much bigger than his crate. I might as well just leave him in the crate. And second, I don't have room for an expen.

I usually just suck it up. Got a fever? Suck it up. I take some Dayquil and then force myself outside with him. I'd rather deal with my achy body than an antsy GSD. He gets his exercise, then he's fine the rest of the day. Like I "preach" all the time here...a tired dog is a behaved dog, right?

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Oh, gosh. Hans never jumped out. I hope Rolf never does.
I have a treadmill for when he is older and fully grown. I agree, an antsy GSD is super annoying.

·
Registered
6,895 Posts
Mine each pushed the Xpen across the floor and then were able to lift it from underneath and escape. It’s a heavy one, too, all metal that I got from a friend. I just used crates, and I have an open child’s play yard that I used to block them off from electric cords, plus a high metal gate across the doorway. I also have a few wooden baby gates to close them off if I need to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts