German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog feels this need to do the little nippy clean teeth vibration deal to my arms. It's the same thing they do when they have an itch. You know what I'm talking about? He loves to do it to my hair and on my arms when we lay down.What is this? Is it because he wants to bite but knows bit biting doesn't work?

Also, he is very "personal".... he is under my feet at all times, in every room and is extremely well behaved, but he doesn't care to come up to be petted. It's like he's excited when there's a job to do, or a place to go, but for the most part, only the first 20 minutes after he wakes up is he sweet or cuddly. Normal for a shepherd boy? My husband has been distraught about the fact that the dog doesn't want to sleep with us. lol. He sleeps by the door to outside (for the draft) in our room, or on the floor at my feet. lol :) What is this non affection thing about. He does however love sweet/excited praises! just doesn't care for pets.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My memphis does the same thing, its like he is nibbling my arm or shaking his teeth on my skin I cant tell but I know what your talking about, im curious what this answer is.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My GF's dog, a non-GSD, does this. My little 4 month old GSD does this a little too. I think its a grooming thing. Dogs in a pack will groom each other, and I think thats what its all about.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Some dogs don't care for petting so much and are respectful of personal space, especially when sleeping. I have had some who would "post" themselves as guards of the door also when we slept.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My dog feels this need to do the little nippy clean teeth vibration deal to my arms. It's the same thing they do when they have an itch. You know what I'm talking about? He loves to do it to my hair and on my arms when we lay down.What is this? Is it because he wants to bite but knows bit biting doesn't work?
It's basically a social grooming thing, I think, similar to the way that monkeys pick the bugs out of eachother's hair.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Shenzi does this sometimes when shes excited/misses me.
Today, it was a 'Shenzi, wheres mommy?' after the morning walk, so I had a 60# pound bitch jump on the bed, jump over me, flop beside me, and do the 'nibbling' to my ear for 2 seconds before rolling on top of me...lol!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts