German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I admit it, my dogs need a bath really bad. I mean paige is stinky. so I go to buy shampoo and there is no dog shampoo under 8 bucks at pet supplies? what is up with that? the lady next to me says she just uses her own shampoo which is what I am going to do cuz that seem s ridiculous for shampoo. what is up with that? the dilemma is that I have to make a big game out of it to shampoo paige so it turns into a big ordeal cuz she is a nut job but she is stinking up my bed, lol.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Sssshh--pipe down!
Do you want The Paige
to HEAR you??
You're talkin' 'bout a dog with major 'TUDE here!!
Seriously, I found shampoo for $5 on Drsfostersmith.com but there'd be shipping. I dunno if people shampoo has the appropriate pH for dogs? Maybe it doesn't matter? Anyway, yep, you're right it sure isn't cheap!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Where in Michigan are you at? There are some places you can get it for less then $8 but I have no clue how far you are away from them.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The cheap HUMAN shampoo is cheap because it uses HARSH chemicals that really shouldn't be there. A GIANT bottle of Mane and Tail shampoo at Feed and Seed stores is the most inexpensive way to go. I used to use the Dog Oatmeal shampoo on my hair and beard because it smells like Cherry Almond and has no harsh chemicals in it. It makes me really hungry after I use it.....

Powell

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
phazewolf, do you ever shop at K9 Specialties? it is on 14/mound. You can save a lot of money by shopping there, people come from canada to shop there!!! It's not close to me so I only go once a month or so but I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Originally Posted By: SuzyEphazewolf, do you ever shop at K9 Specialties? it is on 14/mound. You can save a lot of money by shopping there, people come from canada to shop there!!! It's not close to me so I only go once a month or so but I highly recommend it.
Yes I do which is why I was asking where you were located at. I drive out to Howell to see one of my friends all the time on weekends and I could pick stuff up for you if you like if you are on the way or near by.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I think my dog shampoo is about $11, but I'm picky about smells (don't want a working German Shepherd smelling like a flower) and I get one that is medicated b/c my mutt gets hot spots. But I so rarely bathe my dogs, it lasts probably 6 months even with three dogs. Sometimes my dogs roll in crap of some sort but I just rinse with the hose whatever part is dirty. They never really smell bad, I only bathe them for shows or if we are staying at someone's house, just so I can say I did so they seem more clean.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Just a quick tip - if you can't get dog shampoo, you can always use Dawn Dishsoap.
Not human shampoo, though.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oops well she got vo5 cause that's all i had. wish i knew about dawn though cause wouldn't you know , i have some? she is quite dluffy and doesn't smell like who knows what anymore

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I think if you only bathe your dogs occasioanaly, like once or twice a year like I do, then it doesn't really matter much if you use human shampoo, or mild, ph neutral dish soap.

But I know that many people bathe their dogs every month, or every other month - in that case, I think getting dog shampoo is important to avoid stripping the natural oils and drying out their hair and skin. And if I wanted to save a few bucks, I'd use baby shampoo.

But that's for me. I'm sure that it might be different for different dogs.

·
Super Moderator
7,382 Posts
Powell beat me to it -- i used Mane and Tail for years...

another option i like is Dr Bronners Magic Soaps. its natural, can be used for just about anything (bathing, hair, dishes, laundry, etc) and i love the smell.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I use the organic bar soaps, like Shampoochie that typically run like $5 or so, plus shipping. They last a while, are easy to use since you just rub the bar over the dog and lather and they SMELL great! I order it online and I love the way the soaps leave the pups smelling and feeling.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
If you don't use it often I don't see a reason to go cheap and use shampoo that is inappropriate for a dog.
I'd rather spend $11 every 1.5-2 months (My dogs are bathed every week/every other week depending on the season, some times as much as twice a week) on dog shampoo that leaves my dog feeling and looking great than go cheap with $2 human shampoo that leaves my dog itchy with a dry coat.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
When we give Rocky a bath (normally 2 or 3 times per year) we have used baby shampoo if we dont have dog shampoo.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Originally Posted By: Chance's MomIf you don't use it often I don't see a reason to go cheap and use shampoo that is inappropriate for a dog.
I'd rather spend $11 every 1.5-2 months (My dogs are bathed every week/every other week depending on the season, some times as much as twice a week) on dog shampoo that leaves my dog feeling and looking great than go cheap with $2 human shampoo that leaves my dog itchy with a dry coat.
sorry to dig up the old thread but was wondering if it was OK to bathe your dog that often.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Originally Posted By: smyke
sorry to dig up the old thread but was wondering if it was OK to bathe your dog that often.
No, I think that is too much and will strip the natural oils from the coat.

I bathe my dogs maybe two or three times a year - when needed, when too muddy. They are raw fed, so they don't smell, tho.

But I can see if people have allergies that more frequent bathing would help to keep the shedding and dander down.

·
Registered
31,597 Posts
My shampoo is about $16. It is a concentrate that needs to be diluted. there are no detergents and it's all natural made from Emu oil. It strips everything out of the hair but it doesn't dry out her skin since it puts oils back in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts