German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day ladies and gents,

Currently our border collie is the top dog, when there is someone at the gate, she runs to the gate and starts barking. Neither of our GSDs will bark if there is somebody at the gate. 1 male GSD almost 2 and 1 female almost 3 years old.

our male GSD will bark at the wall at the dog next door, but when there is somebody at the gate the only dog barking is the border collie. the GSDs don't care. However, when I or my wife go outside to see what is going on, the GSDs will get up and walk with us to the gate and start barking as well. But they won't bark if somebody is even trying to put his hand through the gate. Again the border collie will go crazy.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
They are allowing the male to do the barking. If he stays inside and they go out alone, will they bark? You need to reward barking when they do it to reinforce it.

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
Maybe they don't find the people important unless you are outside. My dogs don't bark at people outside.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
I agree to the person was non important. We had just moved into to the first house and was outside raking the leaves with my first gsd. I ran into the house to get some leaf bags in the house for a minute. When I came back outside karat was not there. Our neighbor across the street was in my yard and said he led him to the fenced backyard - he saw him in the front yard hanging out loose . Nice yes but the guy was a creeper. Having a person that was non friend or non family member come into my house uninvited was another thing entirely I would of not had him loose in the yard otherwise.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Maybe they don't find the people important unless you are outside. My dogs don't bark at people outside.
THIS!!

On at least two occasions friends reported waking Sabi up to let her out or bring her to the office. If I was not there she felt no need to protect anything.

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
THIS!!

On at least two occasions friends reported waking Sabi up to let her out or bring her to the office. If I was not there she felt no need to protect anything.
Oh...coming in my house would get a reaction. A good one with my husband here. A very serious one with me here.

But people outside? Nahhh....not on their radar unless they are making a lot of noise.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Oh...coming in my house would get a reaction. A good one with my husband here. A very serious one with me here.

But people outside? Nahhh....not on their radar unless they are making a lot of noise.
She was a lazy cow, lol.

She protected me, and happily showed people where the fridge was if I was not home. To be fair, she was accustomed to my team coming and going. Since I worked brutal hours I often left her home while I did the office part of my job.
People outside? Not her problem. She barked if they actually opened the gate, unless it was children, but would not even stand her ground outside until they got to the door. And only if I was home.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Good day ladies and gents,

Currently our border collie is the top dog, when there is someone at the gate, she runs to the gate and starts barking. Neither of our GSDs will bark if there is somebody at the gate. 1 male GSD almost 2 and 1 female almost 3 years old.

our male GSD will bark at the wall at the dog next door, but when there is somebody at the gate the only dog barking is the border collie. the GSDs don't care. However, when I or my wife go outside to see what is going on, the GSDs will get up and walk with us to the gate and start barking as well. But they won't bark if somebody is even trying to put his hand through the gate. Again the border collie will go crazy.
It sounds like they've determined their jobs amongst each other.

1. Border Collie's job is to announce that there are visitors at the gate.
2. GSDs jobs are to announce that you are approaching and/or to warn outsiders not to harm you.

In human terms, the BC is the receptionist at the desk and the GSDs are personal security.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
My take: they rely on the BC because of her status. When you are in the yard, they have an audience and probably feel peer pressure to chime in. It doesn't sound like a huge issue to me. Most people have the opposite problem. I think the quiet GSDs are the most to fear as an intruder. Most barkers bark from feeling insecure and rely on their owners.
In the past in our village there was a farm with a Bouvier, who never barked but bit people if he felt like it was needed. In those days that was not an issue. Pretty scary dog so I was never allowed to visit that farm as a kid. .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts