German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys i was just wondering why does my 3month old pup eat her poop?
Plz help me it just want me to :sick: but i do stop her when i see her.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My vet told me that depending on the food, that sometimes it just smells as good to them coming out as it did going in.

We had to continually clean up Sasha's business right away and watch her. Now she wants nothing to do with it. I have heard of others puting something in the food to make it smell bad when it comes out.

·
Registered
27,338 Posts
It begins at the breeders. The pups watch mom clean up after them and if the breeder isn't diligent in poop scooping it can become a habit that is really, really hard to break. I agree the food may play into it, if it isn't getting digested(fillers just go thru) then the dog will eat it.
Dogs that are on a grain free or raw have much smaller poo.
I would go out w/ my pup and clean up immediately so there is no chance for him to eat it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Here are 20 reasons why dogs eat poop - not sure exactly how accurate they are, but it's something to ponder.

20 Reasons Why Dogs Eat Poop (Coprophagia, Pica)

I remember reading somewhere that it was instinctual for them to eat their poop, as in the wild, wolves eat their feces to rid the scent as to not alert a preditor or prey.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Where does she eat it? Outside when she goes normally, inside if she has an accident, both? Remi had one poop accident in the house a few days after I got him. He was desperately trying to eat it and when I removed him from the room and cleaned it up, he was literally hurling himself at the door trying to get back in and get rid of it. And yet, he does not attempt to eat his stools outside ever. I think he was upset he'd gone in the house (even though I NEVER punished him for his only 2 prior accidents) and wanted to fix it, poor boy!

·
Registered
386 Posts
my daughter (3yo) gave my pup 1/2 a bag of puppy treats so for about 2 days he was licking at his poop... i would just come up to him and stand over it (didn't really wanna step in it) until he became disinterested in it... took about 5 minutes o_O

·
Registered
32,373 Posts
No breeder can babysit their litter 24/7.

Puppies learn to eat their poop from their dam.

The dam needs to stimulate new born puppies so that they can urinate and defecate. She immediately cleans them up. That is a good mother. As the puppies grow she continues to clean after them.

Once solid food is introduced, the dam may be less vigilent in cleaning after them. They mimic their mother, and they investigate everything including poop. Breeders as much as possible keep it to a minimum.

When you take your puppy out, pick poop up immediately. That is the best way to stop them from eating it.

·
Premium Member
18,686 Posts
Take your pup outside, have it go potty, and clean up the poop. Eventually you will break this habit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.