German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
6,886 Posts
He is 8 months.

Main question is why does it seem like hes more protective of her, but he will listen to me (and not her) as if im his brain controling his every move
He's not protecting her, he's trying to protect himself. Nothing should be a potential threat to a baby. He's acting out of fear and most likely feels more comfortable with your girlfriend and that's why he's going to her in these type of situations.

So any thoughts or ideas? Is this normal? One thing i though of is when i pin him down to the floor im showing him who is boss, or pack leader in a sense?
Pinning your puppy down isn't going to make him respect you as pack leader. That's old school training. Your pup will respect you as pack leader through training and leadership. Not by shoving his head on the ground.

· Registered
6,886 Posts
Good to know.

And fyi, when I pin him down its while we are playing. He tries to pin me down. I try to pin him down. Not a training thing, just good ol playing around.
Yeah i do the same thing. I always wrestle with lucy, but it's always a play thing. Nothing wrong with a little rough play.

I thought you were doing more of a alpha roll type pin. I'm not a big fan of that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.