German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
She is an energetic, healthy pup but man, she drinks tons of water!! Can anyone offer any insight on this phenomenon? :thinking:

Registered
Mine was the exact same way, perfectly healthy but would gulp for minutes if I let him. He grew out of it around 12 months old.

Registered
Kibble doesn鈥檛 have the water content of the food that their body was meant to eat. On the contrary, it pulls water from their system. Kibble is dehydrating, so to compensate, they drink tons of water.
I don鈥檛 feed kibble, and my dogs drink very little, because the liquids are already in the foods they eat.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Kibble doesn鈥檛 have the water content of the food that their body was meant to eat. On the contrary, it pulls water from their system. Kibble is dehydrating, so to compensate, they drink tons of water.
I don鈥檛 feed kibble, and my dogs drink very little, because the liquids are already in the foods they eat.
What do you feed your dog, if I may ask?

Registered
My guy drinks a ton of water, it is crazy how much water he drinks, never seen anything like it. I think he values his water as much as his food. Begs at the fridge water and ice dispenser.

We feed 2/3 kibble 1/3 raw. The store bought "smoked" meat bones (that make a mess BTW) make his really thirsty. I think it's all normal.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
My guy drinks a ton of water, it is crazy how much water he drinks, never seen anything like it. I think he values his water as much as his food. Begs at the fridge water and ice dispenser.

We feed 2/3 kibble 1/3 raw. The store bought "smoked" meat bones (that make a mess BTW) make his really thirsty. I think it's all normal.
I've been reading up on kibble and how thirsty it makes them. I've also been seeing on this forum that it's very common for GSD's to drink a lot of water. This is all a learning process for me as this is my first GSD but I'm excited to learn all I can. :nerd:

Registered
What do you feed your dog, if I may ask?
Hans is 7 and has autoimmune issues, so he eats boiled grass fed beef with pumpkin, bone meal, and sardines.

My puppy, Rolf, is raw fed, and eats a wide variety of meats.

If I had to feed commercial dog food, I would definitely feed canned, because of the moisture content.

Registered
If that is the case, I would suggest not feeding them. Dogs can鈥檛 tolerate a lot of salt.

Thanks, I鈥檓 good with it. I didn鈥檛 say it was a problem and his tongue was hanging and he was comotose. He drinks a ton after kibble, I ain鈥檛 stopping that. The bones are a treat. Kind of like when we eat French fries once in a while, well at least that鈥檚 my approach.

Registered
It's probably nothing but keep an eye on it. Excessive drinking could be a UTI. I had a puppy that only had that symptom. Excessive drinking led to hard to housebreak. Once it was caught and cleared up, she easily learned to go out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts