German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I have a 1 yo German Shepherd, Xander(who just celebrated his bday actually :) )

Anyway, my dad has a 6 yo Mutt, a 3 yo Lab, and then another 1 yo mutt. But the 6yo, whose name is "Cubby" is a pretty mean dog. He doesn't bite, but he sure does love to growl at you and other dogs and is generally a pretty unpleasant dog to be around. The good thing is he's a total wuss and can't fight worth a ****, so he's all bark and no bite. Anyway, Xander has always kept his distance from Cubby and played with the other doggies until just recently. Now Xander can't leave him alone. It's the darnest thing, Cubby growls and snap (never making contact), and Xander just backs up a lil, wagging his tail and then tries to lick his face. Xander just follows him around wherever he goes sniffing him and licking him, all the while Cubby looks annoyed to death, growling and trying to get Xander to stop and he never does.

I'm not too worried about the dogs fighting, since as said before Cubby can't fight, and Xander doesn't seem too eager to fight anyone (he's so friendly) but at the same time I don't want Xander constantly pestering Cubby. But I just don't understand why Xander is soooo obsessed over the one dog that obviously wants nothing to do with him. Is it like the forbidden fruit syndrome or something? Both are male btw, Cubby is neutered, Xander is not. Xander also lives with a Female Golden Retriever which he also loves. :wub: But that can be chalked up to more obvious reasons.

Anyone have any ideas why my GSD is in love with this guy?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
has cubby been checked by a vet and cleared health wise?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm not sure. I do know both the Lab and Cubby have had skin allegories recently, my step-mom(who's a doctor) just brought home anti-biotics for them and it cleared up for cubby (the lab still has it a bit)

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
What your feelings about how Cubby reacts is not the same thing your puppy is feeling so you have to honor your puppies choice believe me if Cubby was a threat to your puppy he wouldn't want to play with him.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
who knows. it possible cubby needs a friend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts