German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why did you get your first GSD? Love the breed? ScH?

For me, I've wanted one since I was at a park as a boy and saw a young woman walking on and knew that I wanted to have one (the dog!) when I got older. Also, I enjoy hiking and having a dog with you on the trail is hard to beat, not only for companionship, but also for protection. A dog will sense if there is a predator around long before the average human will, and will alert to it.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
My husband always wanted a GSD. He used to pet sit a HUGE male when he was a kid. Everyone was afraid of this dog, since he was primarily a protection dog. When we first got married, we did not have the time to devote to a GSD, and then we moved and moved and moved...making having a GSD nearly impossible. When we had kids, I made us wait until we OWNED our home and all kids were outta diapers. :) We got a GSD/Husky mix and LOVED her for 10 years. She died and we knew it was time for a PB GSD if we could find one.

VGSR worked with us to find Scarlett. Scarlett is not the GSD we set out to get (We didn't know they came in white..:) ) but, she is the GSD that was perfect for us.

Eventually, we'd like to have two or three GSD's.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I love the breed for their intelligence, trainability, and devotion. Not to mention they're some of the best looking dogs out there ;)

Delgado is my first GSD but I know he won't be my last :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
I grew up with one when i was young, but we had to move out of the country and then they were not able to come with us so my grandma took them, but for the last 16 years i have been saying that i would get one again. 3 months ago i was able to rescued one form a local pound and could not be happier with her.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I've always had GSD mixes growing up and I've known lots of them, but I never thought about getting one for myself. When I was looking for my third dog I was actually thinking about a pit bull, but someone I know and respect brought up GSD's. They mentioned how they were good dogs, loyal, and just beautiful. I thought about it and I agreed that it would be a breed I would be interested in. Now I'm thinking I will always have at least one GSD in my life. I love the look, the drive, the focus, just everything they have to offer...it was one of the best decisions I have ever made:)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I grew up with german shepherds and have always had atleast one in my life

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
So I don't have to share a sidewalk with anyone ells ;)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
First and foremost I wanted an intelligent dog. I also wanted a good sized dog, not a little dog. After that came looks, I have always thought the breed was beautiful and athletic. Lastly I found the protectiveness part of the personality appealing.

In hindsight, my priorities were a bit screwed up, I wish I had spent more time researching temperament rather than looks. But at the end of the day, I am still glad to have a GSD and plan on my next dog (years down the road) being a GSD.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Why not?

:rolleyes: That is the easy answer.

They are beautiful and I love their ears. Apparently they are super smart, sometimes Fiona forgets this. :blush:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I got my first PB GSD because I just love the breed, first and foremost. Nothing moves, looks, or sounds like a GSD...nothing. They are absolutely stunning looking dogs, no matter how well or how poorly they are bred.

Secondly, I wanted a good, sturdy SAR dog. I know I could've gone with a Border Collie, a Labrador, or even a Golden, but there's nothing like a working Shepherd. I dreamed of working along side a beautiful Black and Tan... I was so happy the day I brough my boy home I nearly cried.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I never in a million years thought I would end up with a GSD. My husband had GSD growing up and wanted a puppy for the past 10+ years. I went to see Dexter, and in my mind I was ready to look at the puppy and make up some kind of excuse..... But, he picked me the second he saw me, and the rest is just blissful, happy history. :)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
:rofl:

I grew up with GSDs, and I guess I've always considered them a baseline dog. All other dogs are _______ compared to GSDs! The fill-in-the-blank is invariably a lesser quality ;)

I did branch out for the first time ever several years ago and adopted a little Weimaraner bitch. Another german breed of velcro dog :rolleyes:

Turns out, I love having a Weim-GSD combo household. I wouldn't trade my pretty little sneaky greedy thieving trickster wigglebutt cuddlebunny weim for the world...

But I never want to live without the fabulous companionship that only the Dog of All Dogs has to offer. Ah, my beloved German Shepherd. The perfect dog.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I was never in contact with the breed. All the german shepherds i knew of were, mean.. Than I got with my husband and he loved the breed, didn't own one but knew a couple that were trained right, and just awesome dogs. Now we have Dixie and she is amazing! She's sooo loyal, easy to train, beautiful, super intelligent and the list could go on and on. We will ALWAYS have atleast one german shepherd in the house. Having Dixie it really made me fall in love with the breed :)

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
because there are only two kinds of dogs, german shepherds and those who wish they were, lolol...seriously tho...never been without a shepherd at the foot of my bed or in it (including my crib). grandfather was from germany and a friend of max, came to america and then imported in the 40' and 50's. parents bred and showed american show lines, back when there were only asl and imports, and back before there were so many, many health issues (back when all you had to worry about was bloat and hips). just never been without 'em. ever. kinda sad now, gettin' old and not fair to get a puppy, when sera and the cashman are gone i'll only have older rescues. gotta love these dogs. cradle to grave.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its surprising how scared some people can be of a GSD, no matter how well-behaved it is.

I never in a million years thought I would end up with a GSD. My husband had GSD growing up and wanted a puppy for the past 10+ years. I went to see Dexter, and in my mind I was ready to look at the puppy and make up some kind of excuse..... But, he picked me the second he saw me, and the rest is just blissful, happy history. :)
More often than not thats the way it works. I don't think I've ever picked out a single dog, they've all chosen me.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I really never even considered another breed. I've had GSD's in my life since I was a child, and they have always been far and away my favorite breed. I couldn't pinpoint any specific reason ... personality, energy, intelligence, appearance, etc. When I finally was at the point where I could have a dog of my own I never even considered another breed.

Pretty soon, now that Jazz has matured (mostly, lol) past the puppy stage, and is housebroken and mostly well behaved (except for yelling at our cats when they give her the opportunity) I hope to add a second GSD to the family. Again, I wouldn't even consider another breed, even though there are many that I am fond of ... When I add a second dog, it will be another GSD, there is just something special about them.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Love the average GSD personality...if there is such a thing. Most I've met cetainly shared a certain alertness (if that's a word) and could tell before I could if someone was a jerk or not. Intelligence...Heidi and Abby both knew if I was planning a walk or car ride before I did. Looks...I think they are an incredibly beautiful dog. Ears...gives away their mood or if they did anything when I was at work.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Wife...

...regaled me endlessly about her GSD when she was a kid and how he protected her in some sticky situations.

Finally, when the kids and the Labradors were out of the house I succumbed to her charms and bought one for her. INCREDIBLE! JUST INCREDIBLE DOGS.

That dog got tangled up with the school bus in his second year of life and didn't come out of the encounter. He's now crossed over Rover River and playing with other GSDs (they've the only ones who get across, you know).

Zeus, our current project, is his replacement. Only, he's quite different from our first one in that he's bull-headed and hard to train. Still we love the little non-compliant fur ball (actually, he's quite big) and we're willing to put in the hours to get him on track and keep him on track.

We have him so my wife will stop yapping about GSDs and how much she wants one and also to provide security to the property and to her personally. We intend to have the dog protection trained if he's up to it.

For me, I just like learning about them and I dearly love the daily exercises, games and walks with this developing knucklehead.

LF

1 - 20 of 37 Posts