German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do we love the animals in our lives that need to be managed? The dog that may physically harm you, the cat that actively scratches you, the parrot that bites...

I've a cat, Panda. He was my first fur kid. His parents were feral and he has a lot of those qualities as well. But I wouldn't ever dream of putting him to sleep or giving him up. My folks call him a 'rascal' and he is. But despite that, he is one of my favorites...I don't get it. Do you???

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Wow! Amina, sometimes I can feel your stress, worry, and deep thoughts right through this screen!! I hope you have a peaceful spot-if only in your mind-where you can let that all go. :)

To answer you. I had a bitch that was the most dangerous pet I've ever owned. I got her at about 10 weeks. She was VERY soft to the handler. She was obedient. She was a sweetheart to everyone in the family. I guess she was around 7-8 months when she tried to kill a woman. Yes, kill. She never growled, barked, stared, did ONE freakin thing that I could see before she attacked. The elderly woman had been petting her and telling her how precious she was for at least five minutes before the attack. In the blink of an eye (I'm not exaggerating, this bitch was FAST!!) she grabbed the woman's shirt and threw her to the ground. Next, she went for her throat. She was *maybe* an inch from the throat bite by the time I could react. She was 4 off the floor as quick as I could get her there. When it was over, it was over. She was totally back to normal and calm. She did this a few times... and I took her to behaviorist, to trainers, I worked with her for years. She never changed. We loved her because except for these random, sudden attacks.. she was a sweet, loving, obedient, and beautiful girl. She also had nerves of steel and was FEARLESS. I admired those qualities, and still do.

My parrots are another story. Parrots bite. It's just part of the package. They are NOT domesticated animals. They do use body language to warn (usually) but if you don't know the language, you're going to get bitten a lot! Green Cheek Conures bite when they're mad at you. I used to get bit every morning when I got home from work... because I'd left my princess and gone to work. Now she bites me if I don't wake up fast enough. She will call for me a couple of times, and after that she looses her temper and I'm going to get bit. Some bite because they don't want you to do something. Like make them step up or go to bed. Some bite because they were abused. I have a pair of males that were abused. They HATE me, because I remind them of their abuser, I guess. Short hair, etc. I have been bitten by both a few times. They aren't messing around. One threatens me on a daily basis when he's out of his cage. He's also chased me (on the floor) and done flying attacks on me a few times. It's NOT their fault. They were treated badly, and they do NOT forget. I guess they felt that the only way to get the 'bad person' away was to attack. One of the two I'm quite sure is at least partially insane. He grows a white feather that I call a 'rage feather'. I love ALL my parrots. Especially the ones that hate me. I will never get rid of them, because it's this type of parrot that ends up neglected or abused because of their behaviors. Three of my birds are rescues. I will protect them for the rest of their lives.

Those that love dangerous animals, and put up with violent behaviors from them are usually those that feel a strong need to protect those that have issues. I was an RN for many years. I take care of people. I take care of animals. We are all sentient beings that deserve to be taken care of and not live in fear. We ALL come with defects. Some more harsh than others, but we all have them. When they become such a danger to the public, and we have failed despite our best efforts to keep others safe from them... then really sucky choices have to be made. Sometimes love means holding on for the duration. Sometimes love means letting go. I have found that the animals I have with issues make the most impact on me, and take more of my heart than those that don't.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! Amina, sometimes I can feel your stress, worry, and deep thoughts right through this screen!! I hope you have a peaceful spot-if only in your mind-where you can let that all go. :)

To answer you. I had a bitch that was the most dangerous pet I've ever owned. I got her at about 10 weeks. She was VERY soft to the handler. She was obedient. She was a sweetheart to everyone in the family. I guess she was around 7-8 months when she tried to kill a woman. Yes, kill. She never growled, barked, stared, did ONE freakin thing that I could see before she attacked. The elderly woman had been petting her and telling her how precious she was for at least five minutes before the attack. In the blink of an eye (I'm not exaggerating, this bitch was FAST!!) she grabbed the woman's shirt and threw her to the ground. Next, she went for her throat. She was *maybe* an inch from the throat bite by the time I could react. She was 4 off the floor as quick as I could get her there. When it was over, it was over. She was totally back to normal and calm. She did this a few times... and I took her to behaviorist, to trainers, I worked with her for years. She never changed. We loved her because except for these random, sudden attacks.. she was a sweet, loving, obedient, and beautiful girl. She also had nerves of steel and was FEARLESS. I admired those qualities, and still do.

My parrots are another story. Parrots bite. It's just part of the package. They are NOT domesticated animals. They do use body language to warn (usually) but if you don't know the language, you're going to get bitten a lot! Green Cheek Conures bite when they're mad at you. I used to get bit every morning when I got home from work... because I'd left my princess and gone to work. Now she bites me if I don't wake up fast enough. She will call for me a couple of times, and after that she looses her temper and I'm going to get bit. Some bite because they don't want you to do something. Like make them step up or go to bed. Some bite because they were abused. I have a pair of males that were abused. They HATE me, because I remind them of their abuser, I guess. Short hair, etc. I have been bitten by both a few times. They aren't messing around. One threatens me on a daily basis when he's out of his cage. He's also chased me (on the floor) and done flying attacks on me a few times. It's NOT their fault. They were treated badly, and they do NOT forget. I guess they felt that the only way to get the 'bad person' away was to attack. One of the two I'm quite sure is at least partially insane. He grows a white feather that I call a 'rage feather'. I love ALL my parrots. Especially the ones that hate me. I will never get rid of them, because it's this type of parrot that ends up neglected or abused because of their behaviors. Three of my birds are rescues. I will protect them for the rest of their lives.

Those that love dangerous animals, and put up with violent behaviors from them are usually those that feel a strong need to protect those that have issues. I was an RN for many years. I take care of people. I take care of animals. We are all sentient beings that deserve to be taken care of and not live in fear. We ALL come with defects. Some more harsh than others, but we all have them. When they become such a danger to the public, and we have failed despite our best efforts to keep others safe from them... then really sucky choices have to be made. Sometimes love means holding on for the duration. Sometimes love means letting go. I have found that the animals I have with issues make the most impact on me, and take more of my heart than those that don't.
Wow! You've seen it all! Thanks for sharing...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Loved in spite of flaws

I have found in life, that when we love, we love in spite of the flaws. There is really no mystery. It is not the good outweighing the bad, it's not because of all the good he or she is, it is because we choose to love them.

It is who you are. If you lament the lack of understanding why you are the way you are, I suggest you make up a noble reason for the behavior and commit it to memory. Over time it will be true. Problem solved.

Your welcome. hahahaha

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Not all... not by a long shot. I've taken in the neglected and abused since I was a kid, though. I've learned that animals are often more forgiving than people, and when they're not you just can't hold it against them. ;)

You, Amina, don't need to make up a noble reason. It's already there. You care, and you look past the flaws. I don't think we choose to love, though. I think we either do or we don't.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Why do we love the animals in our lives that need to be managed? The dog that may physically harm you, the cat that actively scratches you, the parrot that bites...

I've a cat, Panda. He was my first fur kid. His parents were feral and he has a lot of those qualities as well. But I wouldn't ever dream of putting him to sleep or giving him up. My folks call him a 'rascal' and he is. But despite that, he is one of my favorites...I don't get it. Do you???
Because we know in our hearts that the chances of them being placed in a home are slim to none. We can't live with that, because after all they are fine in our homes, so why make a change? I have 2 feral cats in my home...one of them now sleeps with me at night and gives me kisses(it took a long time to train her to use the litter box and not be afraid of anything), she loves the dogs. My other one is still on the skiddish side, but I am able to grab her if need be, she also loves dogs and she favors my son. Cats are a little different then dogs...I think we always think we can fix the dogs, we expect less from a cat and don't push it as much with them.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not all... not by a long shot. I've taken in the neglected and abused since I was a kid, though. I've learned that animals are often more forgiving than people, and when they're not you just can't hold it against them. ;)

You, Amina, don't need to make up a noble reason. It's already there. You care, and you look past the flaws. I don't think we choose to love, though. I think we either do or we don't.
Can I see pictures of your parrots? Here's my Panda. C:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Not quite in order.

This is my 'princess' named Rayne. She was my first. She's a cinnamon Green Cheek Conure. She's got a temper, and a very good vocabulary for this type!

This is Rico. He's a Sun conure, which is like a puppy with wings. He's Rayne's mate, but they don't live together. He was my second bird. Goofy boy! He calls for my wife all day, LOL!

This is Cricket. He's actually my daughter's bird, but I have him. He's a normal Green Cheek. He never 'grew up' so he's still a baby mentally.

This is Ziva. I chose her name because it means brilliance beloved. She was neglected badly (to the point of abuse) for six years. She believes I am her mate. She calls me 'grandpa'. She wasn't handled before I got her. She only could say a couple words. Now she talks non stop, and lives in a 'condo'. She is a Congo African Grey. Her belly is naked because of her poor treatment before I got her. She can't fly, either, because of it. I fly her on my hand.

These are "The Rowdy Boys".. my abused and violent boys. They are a bonded pair. I got them when they were 2. I had to separate them for awhile so that we could work with them. They got to a point and there was no more progress. So I put them back together. They mate for life. The one with the yellow head is a Jendaya I named Angel. He's the one I think has mental issues. The other is a red factor Sun Conure I named Papi because he pushes Angel around and Angel defers to him.

Just for good measure, this is Angel threatening to take me out, lol!

The order of "appearance" is Rayne, Rico, "The Rowdy Boys", Cricket, and Ziva. Parrots are like GSDs. They are 'addicting' and it's hard to have just one.
Panda is cute!!

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is Ziva. I chose her name because it means brilliance beloved. She was neglected badly (to the point of abuse) for six years. She believes I am her mate. She calls me 'grandpa'. She wasn't handled before I got her. She only could say a couple words. Now she talks non stop, and lives in a 'condo'. She is a Congo African Grey. Her belly is naked because of her poor treatment before I got her. She can't fly, either, because of it. I fly her on my hand.

!
cute!!! C:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm personally drawn to fearful / aggressive animals because I like a challenge.. My friend has a labrador that he never had to teach anything. She just knew to do as she was told and never developed any problems or habits. He could walk down the middle of the street with her off leash and not have to worry about her because shes naturally just his shadow. But this also deprives her of attention, I think. He dpesnt talk to her or give her treats when we go for walks.. Shes just kinda there.

I have 2 dog-aggressive dogs, that will kill any dog they see outside of our home (strange cause they welcome every dog into our home with no fuss). One fearful dog and one happy-go-lucky-love-everything dog.

The 3 dogs with problems have horrible recalls, so an eye has to be kept on them AND their long lines (one of them will pick up the handle and run off with it, ugh) all the time. But I love having to watch them all.. Bringing them in for short obedience sessions in the middle of our walks.. Scanning the horizon for any other dogs / people. Having to constantly stay engaged.. Treats spilling out of my pockets lol. I think I would get bored if I didn't have to worry.
The twinkle in their eyes when we play BAT / LAT and every little wag when they hear the *click*. It is sooo rewarding (for me and them).

But I have my share of breakdowns. >:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts