German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...from their bowls, drop it somewhere else and then eat it?

Lisl brings a mouthful of kibble into the dining room (at least she has the correct room), drops it all, and them eats a piece or two at a time.

Ossie used to do the same thing and so did Anna. Bear and Molly didn't do this. It's not gender specific and my sister's Dachshunds don't do this.

Lisl never leaves a mess so I don't mind that she does it, but I'm curious as to why.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Delgado eats only at his bowl, actually I've never had a dog or cat that eats like that. :)

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona does this too. It was horrible when she was on raw. Takes raw meat to the carpet and then eats. Is the floor different? Fiona went from tile to carpet. I have no idea why. She does not do it with kibble.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I had a dog do that but never knew why. My current one doesn't normally although sometimes if he gets too big a bite he might move away and let some of it drop.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
My poodle mix does this because he shares the food bowl with all the other dogs in the house. Yes he does have his own bowl but he prefers what the other dogs are eating even though its the same darn thing. Dex, the GSD does it because he does everything the poodle does. I didnt even have to house train him because he follows the poodle outside at night. So I cant complain.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi, Michael!

My almost 5 month old female German Shepherd puppy, Maggie, does exactly the same thing. She takes a piece of kibble (I'm feeding her Orijen large breed puppy) out of her dish, throws it up in the air, jumps on it and then eats it. All of my other dogs have eaten all of their food at once and I have always had German Shepherds. Occasionally, Maggie will eat some of it directly from her bowl, but maybe she thinks if she eats it one piece at a time, it will last longer ... and she's right <VBG>! I give her 4 to 5 cups a day and she usually ends up finishing it, but it takes her all day. I thought maybe it's because she was fed RAW by the breeder and she's used to just grazing.

Susan

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Apache does that. He's the only dog I know that weird about food. If I give him a piece of steak he'll take it very carefully with his teeth as if he doesn't want the poision to touch his lips. Then he has to go spit it out on the rug (of course) examine it then eat it.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Finn eats around his bowl, thank heavens, but if he gets a yummy bit of meat or other food, he'll take it into the living room and eat it on the carpet or under the dining room table. It seems the worse of a stain or smell it will leave if it's not cleaned up perfectly is in relation to how long it sits on the carpet before he finishes it all.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Mine eats at the bowl to, but if I drop some of the food on the floor she will clean that up first. No sweeping for me:D

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
Hans does this, especially with ice cubes.

He likes to take them one by one to his Kuranda bed, then let them slide all over the bed, then noses them around, then he finally eats them. :D

·
Registered
280 Posts
My in-laws dog does this and they have no idea why.

Jade has always just eaten out of the bowl, but when she was younger she would take ice cubes onto the carpet where they couldn't slid away from her as she was munching on them. No she just eats them before they have a chance to slide anywhere

·
Registered
217 Posts
Gypsy eats at her bowl, but she drops pieces of food when she walks away. Wish she would clean it up, so I wouldn't step on it with my bare feet (I only wear slippers when my feet are really cold).

·
Registered
482 Posts
Because...

...there are some treats they'd prefer not to share with others.

In puppy world they have competition with their peers. It's imprinted on them at that point that the choicest bits are fought after. So, they remove them from where they find them and sometimes squirrel them away for later when no one's around.

It's utterly normal. Just be happy that they think that highly of the food you give them.

LF

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess that's good enough reason as any.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Diesel would take a mouthful out of the bowl and drop it all right around the bowl and then eat it one or two kibbles at a time, she never went very far (within two feet of the bowl).. Penny does not do this, or at least not yet lol

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Cody did that, Clipper still does! Hooch sometimes! We free feed, Cody also if one pan was nearly empty and the other full, would stand at the pan and eat each piece till gone, never touch the other bowl! Maybe they do it just to keep an eye on everybody while they're eating! Like said, they never leave any laying around!

·
Registered
860 Posts
My boy does this to only if hes in a weird mood though.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My collie did this, carry and drop a mouthful into the den and then eat it. I used to say he just wanted to be with us while he ate. My GSD scarfs so fast I don't think she can taste her food.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts