German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
use their front legs and paws when playing or just being affectionate? I haven't seen other dogs do this...

·
Registered
910 Posts
My collie actually uses her forefeet a lot, too. Especially when we're playing.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
My darling step daughter taught, yes taught, Shadow to have slap fights! We have never been able to stop it although she is better now. It's very annoying and was surprisingly easy to teach because Shadow likes to use her "hands" anyway. She reminds me of a raccoon most of the time.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My collie actually uses her forefeet a lot, too. Especially when we're playing.
Our smooth collie used her front paws to get our attention and to play. At times it could be really annoying -- fall asleep on the couch and get woken up by collie toenails scratching your face. Ouch!

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
You've never had a boxer...
It’s funny... cause it’s true

My good buddy had one growing up, Mrs Muggins had a left hook that Mike Tyson would have been proud of :rofl:

·
Registered
958 Posts
Our dog, when on his back will use all 4 legs and paws to play. He has kicked me in the face a few times with his back legs, lol. They have a crap load more power than the front ones I tell ya, lol.
Mei loves going to her back too and then play patty cake or high five slap game with all four of her paws. It's pretty funny.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I bet it is, lol. Ours loves those belly rubs were one leg starts to kick over and over again. With ours though, when you give him a belly rub in the right spot both legs start to kick like he is riding a bicycle, lol. Ya gotta love'm, lol. :)

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
My darling step daughter taught, yes taught, Shadow to have slap fights!

One of my favorite foster dogs of all time was an old, one-eyed female GSD that was all about putting paws on us, so we made a game out of it -- "slappy paw," where I'd put my hand lightly on top of her paw, and she'd pull her paw out and "slap" my hand with her paw, holding it over my hand, and then I'd go back on top, and she'd do it again. She thought it was hilarious and loved doing it. Her adopters told me she played it with them until she passed--they thought it was funny too, luckily.

I think maybe this is why so many of us want our dog's toe nails SHORT. My blind one was just batting at the sound of me and chirping from his dog bed to get me to come love on him when he heard me petting the other dog nearby -- he made contact, and it's harmless without long toenails, but it could be a scratch if they aren't trimmed. I'll take a paw-bat over a head-butt for attention any day!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Not sure. I know Jack loves to have slap fights when we're playing tug, or try to hook his paw around my arm to twist it off the tug toy. When he plays with other dogs, he loves to punch and swat. It's even better when the other dog punches back.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Yep, you gotta be careful. I rolled around on the ground with him and played rough. I had my cornea scratched by his nails. Very painful. Couldn't open my eye for a couple of days before the pain was gone. Then a whole week of antibiotic drops that made it sting and hurt more. I also had scratches all over my neck and face. People either thought 1)I got into a fight with a girl or 2)I have a cat.

·
Super Moderator
4,684 Posts
Yep, you gotta be careful. I rolled around on the ground with him and played rough. I had my cornea scratched by his nails. Very painful. Couldn't open my eye for a couple of days before the pain was gone. Then a whole week of antibiotic drops that made it sting and hurt more. I also had scratches all over my neck and face. People either thought 1)I got into a fight with a girl or 2)I have a cat.

I can't imagine how painful that was but wow, the reasons people gave for your appearance are priceless.

·
Registered
5 Posts
use their front legs and paws when playing or just being affectionate? I haven't seen other dogs do this...
My redbone uses his front legs and paws constantly too. He's always pawing, and batting either playfully or affectionately. I pretend to eat his paws to get him to stop as he gets scared and freaked out when I say 'nope, they're mine now' and go nomnomnom and nibble them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts