German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming your not breeding.

Mine is a female and I'm not sure why I'm attracted to females....I just think it's a little funny to have such a loving, close relationship with a male when I'm male too....

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
All 3 of my shepherds have been female.....

I used to say they stay close to home as my rationale for getting a female....and perhaps there might be some truth in that...But, if I didn't thoroughly enjoy the first two ...I wouldn't have a third....who is incredible.

Anyway, I am certain those who own males have just as good reasons for their preference.

I don't think your choice in a female dog is "funny".....because I think the same....I'd get another one if it should be.

SuperG

·
Registered
318 Posts
I just prefer females... :p Males are all fine and dandy... I just like my girls. :) The only bit of testosterone in this house is my cat... who is neutered. :p

·
Registered
447 Posts
All 3 of my shepherds have been female.....

I used to say they stay close to home as my rationale for getting a female....and perhaps there might be some truth in that...But, if I didn't thoroughly enjoy the first two ...I wouldn't have a third....who is incredible.

SuperG
I have slightly the same opinion. In any dog I've ever owned GSD or not I've always seemed to prefer female. Only because in my personal opinion & experience they always seem to make the more loyal protective dog. Most the males I've had were ramblers of sorts & never developed such an incredible attachment to me. When I recently got my first GSD a while back I was getting her for guard dog purposes as my lab husky mix that I kept outside passed away over a yr ago. I went for the female again. This was the first time I requested female when inquiring & it was because I also pondered on the fact of which sex I think I prefer.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
My GSD was a rescue so no choice there, My Bull Mastiff/APB/Lab/Mix was a male but he was a tri color only seen one other tri color pit mix so unique was the reason.

My Boxer was a female, I wanted a male but they were all unavailable, I wanted (needed) a Boxer right then! So I chose a girl! No regrets, girls are kinda stubborn but I loved her! Next Boxer only female dog in the household will be a girl Boxer.

So by default my next GSD will be a male. :)

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I choose according to what will fit in with the pack at the time. My next dog will probably be a female.
I prefer males though both genders are fine~not dealing with heat cycles is a bonus in owning a male!
I just don't know if having male/male would be a good idea. Hard enough dealing with two spayed females and an intact male. The females are getting older, so it will be awhile before I add anything.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
I choose according to what will fit in with the pack at the time. My next dog will probably be a female.
I prefer males though both genders are fine~not dealing with heat cycles is a bonus in owning a male!
I just don't know if having male/male would be a good idea. Hard enough dealing with two spayed females and an intact male. The females are getting older, so it will be awhile before I add anything.
I dealt with Male/Male and had "issues" but that was my failing!

Nonetheless two female taking "exception" to each other is much worse! In "Boxer World" two female Boxer in a single household is a "NO!":eek:

Good enough for me! Learning crap the hard way gets old after awhile! :)
But in general Male/Female is always the best combo but when you move to three or more dogs...you have to chose a gender. :)

I would lean toward males in that case, myself.

·
Registered
94 Posts
All of my pets (9 lifetime total), including cats, have been female except for one dog.

Why?

Well, male animal genitals have freaked/grossed me out ever since one of my professors in college handed around a petrified walrus, err, specific part of the male anatomy, and had us all hold it and guess what it was (didn't even tell us it was part of an animal). :sick: Don't ask me why it was so disgusting, just trust me, it was, okay?

·
Registered
139 Posts
We chose a female hoping she would be more gentle with our 3 cats. Unfortunately two of the cats taunt her and run. The very old cat ignores her and she ignores him. She chases the younger cats occasionally but has never shown any aggression. If she pins one of them with her body she just licks them. Maybe she's tasting them....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I love the look of males and heard they were more clingy/cuddly... well turns out my male is neither, super independent butthead. :) My next pup will be a female though, too many boys in my pack!

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
I prefer females because they are smaller. Well, they are supposed to be smaller! ;)

I have 2 females and added a male puppy last year. He's the goofiest thing I've ever seen. And big. Big and dopey. I love him a lot but, boy oh boy, I'll be glad when his brains arrive. Right now he's about 85 lbs of happy. He'll be 15 months old in a few days.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I much prefer males. Just do. I also do not like dealing with females in heat, and prefer masculine dogs over feminine dogs - especially in German Shepherds.

My first dog is a male, and we have a female puppy now. One male and one female typically get along famously, so naturally that was the best option for our pack. I am not big on female dogs, but I do love her to death already so she changed my mind! ;)

·
Registered
803 Posts
First gsd was female so we got a male for pack dynamics. Female is spayed. Also, I had heard males will bond with female humans more which I wanted because our female bonded with my fiancé even though she was supposed to be my dog.
My female is very independent and rarely seeks out attention.
My male is an attention hog and loves to be in my lap which most of the time I don't mind because he just lays there to be pet and falls asleep.
They both follow my fiancé and I around and no one goes to the bathroom alone.
Our male is more bonded with me :). And he's just a hunk.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I've had both genders. I prefer males for their size. Yes I know, it's a mental thing and it's also perception. But I also prefer males as the ones I've had over the years seemed to be more accepting of others. Not so over the top as we have a therapy and a seeing eye dogs in the immediate family. Father in law and his seeing eye dog and I had a bad experience with a female GSD of mine. She was highly protective of her pack. Males just seem easier going and depending on the line, less on edge. But this is my perception of male/female genders in dogs.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I like having a combination of both ... currently I have one girl/three boys. I prefer having a majority of males because IMHO they're easier to live with, less independent, less "bitchy", more laid back, generally easier to train (the girls have all been extremely intelligent, however, at least for me for some reason they're not as easy to train as the boys).

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I have found over the years that I seem to work best with females. I find their snarky, hormonal attitudes appealing and I seem to bond better with them. I swore that once Bud was gone I would never have another male. I dislike all that 'boy' stuff.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
The dog that hurt the most to lose was a male. Big framed GSD that just seized my heart and took up residence there. Big knob was all he was, lots of bone and muscle and on occasion flashes of brilliance. On average tho, he was just a good dog, willing companion and devoted mutt.

My females have all been razor sharp, that would be a Mal, a GSD and a GSD/BC mix. All three were/are annoyingly intelligent and hard to control. I like that aspect most of the time, except when I'm tired or stressed, then a smart dog can get a bit tiresome.

Right now I have a very smart male that is reserved and tractable. He listens very well and is coming around to the idea that he can relax when I am at home, I don't need 24/7 hyper-protection. My female is distressingly intelligent, she gets into trouble with her problem solving antics. She watches and learns from my male, but has a great off switch(behind the ears and tail root). Good mix here, prolly going to try and keep the male and female mix in the future.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts