German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know what made some people choose their individual dog? I wasn't planning on adopting my Cattle Dog Saba,but the other dog I filled an application out on had their original family come back and adopt him. I knew Saba already because she was at the shelter for two years,and she became the official people greeter in the lobby.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Both of mine were rescues. Rory, my 7 year old GS/Lab female, actually picked me. I was married at the time, & we had a Basenji/Border Collie that we had adopted from the same puppy rescue.
There were three puppies at the time, two looked like black labs, one looked GS. Rory kept coming back to me & laying down between my feet. so she came home. She's now 7yrs old, & been my best friend ever since.

Koda was with one of the local GS rescues, & they needed an emergency 4 day foster. He was not in very good shape & I gather that he was fairly new to the rescue. Before the first day was over, I could tell he needed a permenant home as soon as possible. I called the rescue & told them I wanted to adopt him. They said his current foster family has first dibs on him, & they would get back to me. By 6am the next morning (on Thanksgiving day), he needed to go to the rescue vet. He had colistitis, hookworm, & exrays showed a ball in his stomach, he needed emergency surgery. I called the rescue to pass this info along & said I still wanted to adopt him. The foster family opted not to adopt him, so they said his vet bill would be my adoption fee. Turns out, it was a golf ball in his stomach.
Luckily, since I hadn't officially adopted him yet, the vet gave me the rescue discount.
This coming Thanksgiving will be 6 years Koda has been with me. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I rescued Salem at my local shelter. I went there on a Friday and saw him for about one minute, but there was something about him that I couldn't get out of my mind. Since I lived at home at the time, I asked my mom if I could rescue him and vaccinate/neuter him with the high school graduation money I never used. Then I would take him to the rescue I was volunteering for. I emailed the shelter after they closed and tried to call them to let them know I was interested.

First thing on Monday morning, I went there to pick him up, and he wasn't in hus cage! After a frantic search and trying to find him, we realized that the kennel keeper had moved him to a different kennel without telling anyone!
It was his last day. He appeared very uninterested in me, but I took the dive. When I got home, he was very lovey! It turns out, there was a female in heat in the cage behind him, hence the reason for his disinterest in me before!

Obviously, I never found him a home, and he is the best dog I have ever had! I guess I picked him because it was fate :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I got Navajo from a breeder, I wanted a black/tan male so I had 2 to chose from...his brother was too busy eating my purse...and Navajo came up to me and gave me a big wet puppy kiss. I knew right then he was the one. :) and he has been giving me puppy kisses ever since. :)

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Both of mine came from breeders. When I went to pick up Ginger, the breeder handed me some wild crazy male. He was very wild and loud. I'm like well yea hes OK I guess, then I spotted her sitting in the corner away from her brothers and sisters. I said to the breeder..Whats her story? He said the brothers and sisters didn't want anything to do with her, and she wanted nothing to do with them or anybody. So I got a little closer, and called her to me, and to the breeders surprise, she came right to me. Her tail was wagging and she was licking me. So thats how I got her, and if i could, I wouldn't change my decision for the world!! Sometimes when I think about it, I really believe I saved her....Now for Jonas I explained to the breeder what I was looking for, and told him I really liked the red yarn baby. There was just something about him that got my attention. After weeks gone by, the breeder called me and said "I don't know how you was able to tell the red boy was what you wanted, but he was everything that I asked for" He is 6 months old now, so there is not too much to say, but so far he is everything I wanted in a Gsd. Hes very very intelligent, outgoing,loves people young and old,loves other animals, and especially loves me...He is very healthy too...I mean what else could you ask for :)

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Bunny was a rescue. I fell in love with her mug on the website and the description of her sounded perfect for a first time dog owner. We met her and the rest is history.

We got Jazz from a breeder. I wasn't suppose to get a dog from this earlier litter but I opted to. There were only 2 males and I was suppose to get the other one actually. The breeder called me one day and said she strongly felt that me and the gentleman getting the other male puppy were getting the wrong dogs and it should be switched. Me and the other gentleman went with the breeders recommendation and that's how I got Jazz.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The first time we visited our breeder the puppies were in a fenced in area on the porch with fans blowing on them. My husband said, "Look at that one. He's smart because he's laying right in front of the fan" When we got all the puppies out, this one particular puppy was the one my daughter kept wanting to pick up. She would hold him like a baby and he would just lay there in her arms. It was so sweet.

We went back 2 weeks later to pick out which one we wanted and it just so happened he was the one that stood out to us. He was bigger than the other males, came straight to us with no fear, and just overall looked so healthy and happy. The other males were more timid and didn't bother much with us but this one I guess picked us :)

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Jazzy I picked myself, I chose her out of three puppies and loved her temperament the best. She really turned out great, very bonded and obedient

Delgado the breeder chose for me though I did have a inclination towards him. He was the only bicolour and the rest were sables, and I had decided I wanted a sable so didn't really pay attention to him when I first saw them at 3 weeks. When I saw them again at 5 weeks the breeder told me she had narrowed it down to three, I helped her and her husband bathe all the puppies so I got to hold each of them for a time. Of the three she mentioned one kept chewing my thumb so I mentally ruled him lowest. The second puppy was calm and very nice, and then there was Luka. A big ball of black fluff that licked my hand then snuggled into my neck and fell asleep

Shortly after I got a email from the breeder with updated photos most of them were of Luka with the caption "Luka says hi", etc. When I saw the litter again at 7 weeks I was dying to ask her which one was mine but she hadn't done the temperament testing yet so I just told her I really loved Luka's personality. We took them outside and Luka spent so much time around me even she commented on it. I set the date to pick up the puppy at 9 weeks and she never told me which puppy was mine, I was fairly certain it would be Luka but I wasn't positive. So I went to pick him up and we talked for a few moments and then she left and came back with Luka in her arms and handed him over. I took him outside to pee and he was running around with his mom and I opened the car door to get out the blanket I brought to rub Diva with and I hear this high pitched squealing and turn around to see this black blur running full tilt at me. The breeder starts laughing "he doesn't want you to leave without him!"

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I wanted a black male GSD puppy.

I found several byb's in a newspaper. I called all of them and the last one I called told me they had 1 black male left, I told them we were coming to see him, it was a 2.5 hour drive. The whole drive there my bf kept saying "we are only going to look at him, we are not buying him, I want to look at English Bulldog puppies too." I kept thinking "ya right, this puppy is coming home with me."

When we got there he was running around, he came right up to us and wanted to be pet, he never once tried to mouth us, he let me hold him and he didn't squirm, he was nice and calm. He was ADORABLE. There were 2 other litters there kept in a pen and he ran around the pen teasing them. He walked right up to an adult dog and stole the stick from her even though she growled at him and he picked up a beer bottle and pranced around with it.

It was love at first sight, there was no way I was leaving without him, I wasn't going to let the bf tell me no, but I didn't have to, he loved him immediately. I was so excited about getting him home that I got pulled over for speeding not even 5 minutes after leaving the breeders. :eek:

Buying Sinister was the best decision I have ever made, he is the BEST dog in the world. :wub:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I visited Stosh's litter twice before we decided on him. I told the breeder that I wanted the dumbest, laziest pup they had because I didn't want a super high drive dog. They had chosen their pick of the litter for me and it was a beautiful pup but too energetic the times we visited. I wasn't especially wanting a long coated pup but Stosh was one of the 3 long coated pups out of the litter of 6. He was just a big fuzzy lump, very calm but attentive. He's certainly not lazy or dumb, he has plenty of drive and a good work ethic but with an off switch- just exactly what I wanted! He's the perfect match for me.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Pyrrha was a rescue. I'd seen her beautiful, fuzzy face several times on the rescue's website, but we weren't initially considering her, since she was supposedly on trial with another family.

When the time finally came that we were able to adopt (after moving to our new house), Pyrrha's foster asked if we'd like to meet her, because her first potential home had just returned her. (They were concerned about how shy she was.) I knew that we wanted a gentle, young dog who wasn't very high-energy and was healthy. Pyrrha was all of those things.

She sat down on my husband's feet the very first time we met her, and we were sold.

She's come such a long way in the two months that we've had her and I feel like she is the perfect dog for us. Pyrrha still has lots to learn and lots of confidence to gain, but I couldn't imagine a better dog. I have no complaints!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well we didn't quite have a choice in who we picked Jerry Lee was the last puppy they had. It was perfect though he was the mellowest of the litter and my kids loved him because he was the fluffiest. I would prefer to pick my pup but he worked out good for us.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We got Kanan from a breeder, who used to work with my wife, so they two girls know each other fairly well. The litter was only 5 pups, 2 males (Kolby and Kanan). Kolby was loud, whiny, and restless.... Kanan quietly walked up to us and sat down waiting to be picked up. Decision made.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Gaia picked me, I went to visit the litter and was going to contemplate if I wanted to make the decision or not. She had set back from the group and observed what was going on, as I was getting ready to leave she followed me and came and sat by my feet. I was sold and she came home a few hours later.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
I didn't know the first thing about picking out a puppy when I was picking Titan. I knew I wanted a GSD for various reasons but had no idea what to look for in a new puppy.. the breeder was absolutely no help.. knew the line and knew what the parents traits were and did well with that, but no help in deciding a pup..

Titan was the darkest and largest pup at 3 weeks old. So I picked him. Haha... when I brought him home at 8 weeks, I thought I made a huge mistake but turns out he is the absolute best dog I have ever owned, high prey drive like I wanted and nerves of steel.. love him :wub:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Why did you choose York particular Dog?

She is our empty nest dog and we had been without one for almost ten years since our last dog passed as it seemed easier with vacations, college,etc. but truth was we did not look forward to losing that much devotion again. We knew we wanted another shepherd and we had heard about this one who was just 5 mos. old, AKC, etc. Our first papered dog. When we got to the breeders kennels in the middle of nowhere we found good intentions and love for the animals but it was not a good situation. Multiple mature dogs in outdoor kennels. Lots of feces and filth, and this beautiful but terrified little pup that didn't even have a name at 5 months old. They were all splashing in the mud and covering us with a memory I would rather not have. On the way to get her we talked about how we would meet her, assess her, bond for a little bit and decide. Instead we grabbed her, put her in the car and raced to the nearest bathroom to clean up us and her for the long ride home. It's been a year now and her story gets better every day.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
There are some dogs I've had that just fell into my lap , and others that the breeder(s) had picked for me.

Masi I got because I wanted a certain line that my male was, the breeder didn't have available what I was looking for and referred me to wanda , I told her what I wanted/was looking for, and she sent me Masi,

Same with my aussie, Same with Dodge tho I was more involved with the decision because he was very close to me. Jag, a rescue sight unseen, Jake was the last of the litter and I took him, Sami a rescue, Kodi an impulsive move when I was young:)

I haven't regretted any of the dogs no matter how I 'got' them, and the ones that were 'picked' for me sight unseen turned out to be exactly what I wanted..

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I didn't pick any of this current crew I have.
We just lost our GSD Cheyenne, less than a week later I couldn't take it anymore. I spent hours on the phone till I found his breeder, she picked him for me.
About 1-1/2 years later hubby said I could get another dog, I had to work quick before he changed his mind! I called Apache's breeder she found me Kiya who was 14 weeks old at the time.
Fast forward almost 6 years later, my friend had a friend who had 1 puppy left from a litter for free, after a month of asking hubby if he would mind...the rest is history.

·
Registered
646 Posts
i wanted a black and tan standard coat male. Went to the breeder and that narrowed it down to 2. Zeus walked over to me and sat right beside me like a pro on my left side. i knew he was mine at that point

1 - 20 of 49 Posts