German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all have many reasons for the pets (and people!) we bring into our lives. Why did you choose the German Shepherd breed? As for me, I was always smitten with them from afar as a child: I read about them, watched movies, visited the Leader Dogs kennels with my friend whose Dad was a volunteer there. "Run, Joe, Run" was my favorite TV show (anyone remember THAT?). The beauty, the integrity, the strength and courage...I didn't get my first GSD until I was an adult...my hubby and I had not made a decision on what type of dog to bring home (he was sure that a GSD would "turn on us someday"), and then we saw a TV show about Polly, a young girl from Michigan (where we live) who was kidnapped from her bedroom and murdered. I remember telling my husband right then, "We are getting not one, but TWO German Shepherds: one for each of the kid's bedrooms!"

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I got a german shepherd because i absolutely feel in love with them as a kid. I would go every year with my parents and grandparents to Spring Spree and watch the police K9 demonstrations. Got to meet a couple of the dogs and just adored them. they were sweet and smart and just amazing. Graduated high school and about a year later after we adopted Riley, Zena came into our family and once again proved to me what amazing dogs GSDs are. We had our daughter in 2007 and Zena was and still is a favorite pillow, huggable furball, and just friend. Zena is one of the most tolerant and patient dogs i have ever known in my life. They're loyal and loving and i like bigger dogs. and i guess i just needed one more thing that was difficult because unless you own your house, finding a place thats tolerant of GSDs is a PITA. lol

·
Registered
606 Posts
I fell into GSD's by accident. My DH and I had been married for two weeks. I had a westie-poo and a peke-a-poo. Hubby wanted a bigger dog and had seen an ad at the shelter for a hound. We went, but he ended up falling in love with a GSD/Rott X they had there. I was totally against it, but said yes for his sake. Smokie was with us for the next 12 years until he passed suddenly. When we started looking for another dog, it was never in doubt it would be a shep, as Smoke had mainly Shepherd traits. Now we have Shadow and have never regretted it.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I have always been found of herding dogs, I have had GSD and aussie's. Though I am pro pricked ears so I tend to attach to the GSD and had an Alaskan malamute as well .
I just like the GSD because they are so nostalgic and easy to train.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I grew up with GSD's and have always had one in my life. My family has never owned another breed (up until my Dad re-married and we gained a minature poodle - we forgive her for this ;) ).

The GSD has everything I am looking for and so why would I seek another breed out?

Keep with what I know and love.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
When I was a little girl, I got a couple of books from the library about the dogs of Scotland Yard. They were GSDs. I remember Rex of Scotland Yard like it was yesterday (but can't find the book ANYWHERE).

When I was 17 I finally got my dream of owning a GSD and I fell in love with the breed's gorgeous looks, loyalty, brains, protectiveness, and their cute big ears :)

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have ALWAYS loved GSDS since I was a little kid... But I suppose the reason why I never had one until now was that I was also obsessed with other breeds when I was a kid. After I saw Beethoven, I wanted a St. Bernard like crazy - but then one day, when I was home sick from school, I caught an old episode of "Lassie" - that was it, I HAD to have a collie. So, I got one! And yes, named him Lassie...

Then I wanted a Great Dane, so, I got one! And then I wanted a Pomeranian, so, I got one! All the while I considered GSDs, but whatever breed I had a hankering for at the time I was able to get another dog was the breed that won.

But a GSD was always my dream dog, and after I lost my beloved Dane last august, I decided to attain one. I've always found them to be so gorgeous, and so noble and elegant, they're awesome looking and on top of that, so smart and loyal and protective. Now that I'm a young adult, able to drive and do my own thing, I wanted a dog that I could really go into the world with, a dog I could devote a lot of training time to without having to worry about school, I really wanted to do Schutzhund and tracking and all of that. So a GSD was the perfect choice for me, plus I needed a lot of motivation to deal more with my depression and get moving (all I can do with my pom and corgi is walk them, and not far lol, my dane slept all day) and do something active, and meet people and make friends and get out there. Rem has been that push I needed, and I can't wait until spring when we really get moving with our advanced training and sport, we'll have a blast.

The other reason a GSD appeals to me as of late, is the protection factor - even if he loved people, even if he never knew a single command beyond "speak," and if we never did SchH (which we will anyway) the sole fact that he IS a GSD and therefore intimidating to lots of people is something I consider a plus. I understand that there's a lot of GSD owners who want their dogs to be outgoing and love everyone, and I respect that - but all I ask of Rem is that he understand what's normal and realize what isn't, that he tolerate people without being required to like them, and that he maintain composure without showing aggression unless it is necessary in an extreme situation. I'm a 24 year old 100 lb. blonde girl. We get taken and murdered pretty much every day, just watch HLN at night. I want to be able to walk my dog without fear (and I had a very scary situation once walking my corgi, if it had been Remi, they'd have kept going) and be safe when I go out (he goes everywhere with me if it's a place I don't have to stay in long). I like that people will take one look at him, and keep going because he scares them.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I've also loved german shepherds since I was a child. Our neighbors had a german shepherd that had the same name as me, and even though I'm pretty sure that dog hated me because she hated all children I still loved her. I love the looks of the german shepherd, and I love all of their trait qualities. It was the only dog I ever wanted, and only recently have I been more open to other breeds.

I have a german shepherd now, but he doesn't act like one. He'd be a PERFECT dog... if he was a Labrador, lol. When I get my next german shepherd, I'm hoping to really experience what the breed is actually like.

·
Registered
275 Posts
To be honest, my favorite dog till recent mths was the Golden Ret. but i realized that having a dog that will give a guided tour to a burglar and welcome would-be muggers with a tail wag and a lick isn't exactly the type of dog i'd feel safe around. Plus, my dad said if i was gonna bring a dog home, it'd better be a GSD (he loves 'em).

So i started researching the breed and realized there isn't a smexier (for lack of better word) dog breed in existence. There was something about how strong, brave, intelligent they look that attracted me, oh, and how cuddly, sweet and patient they were with their humans that made them seem like the perfect combo of guard dog/baby of the family...

OH, and their eyes, i've realized that when you look at a GSD's eyes, they seem to say "Oh, I'd give anything to be able to talk to you....cos you know i understand everything...."

But my love for big dogs has always been around for as long as i can remember thanks to the MANY large mutts my granma kept while i was growing up...small dogs have never been attractive to me (although i can see why ppl would like them :))

Now...just to find the rescue dog that was meant for me.... :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I decided I needed a four-legged sentry, and I was considering another Aussie, but frankly, I wasn't up to it with my work schedule (at home... but hands busy). I fell in love with Mia's profile on Westside Shep Rescue website when my daughter was looking for a watchdog/companion for her new home.

Mia is probably a mix with some lab in her, but she's in complete denial of that fact, which is fine with me. She's an angel baby in the house: polite, settled, calm, willing to try yet again to decode my confusing signals (I'm getting better), and slow to raise a fuss. Outdoors it's a different story. We're working on it, but secretly I like it that she stands ready to take on the world on my behalf.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Like most everyone else, I fell in love with the GSD as a kid. One of the neighbors down from mom and dad's place was a sheriffs deputy. He was part of a K9 unit and had a magnificent black and tan GSD that he trucked around with him. He wouldn't let any of us kids near the dog to pet him or his said the dog would take our hand off and eat it !!! :eek: I'm sure he was just kidding, but we all steered well clear of his car ! Such a gorgeous animal surely wasn't mean ..... :confused:
I've had a love affair with these animals ever since. :D

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
My fascination with GSDs started at the age of five after having been mauled by the neighbor's Shepherd. At one point the dog was carrying me by my thigh like a rag doll...he was beatin' off of me by my mother and a couple of neighbors. Today, I am a USA Classified Helper and a student of the GSD.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Growing up my father had his police dog Patton, a white GSD. He listened to every command but HATED children. When he was a pup the local kids would sneak into my parent's yard and throw rocks at him. Dad caught them and made them stop but the damage was done. Because of that we always had collies. Teddy was my collie. We rescued him at 7 months old from an abusive home. He was extremely protective of me and extremely intelligent. When I was ready for a dog of my own I discussed with my Fiance the traits that I want in a dog, which were essentially Teddy's traits. He looked at me and said "You just described a GSD". As I had fallen in love with Angus at that point I realized he was right. Thus the arrival of Freyja into my life.:wub:

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
I didn't choose. I married a german shepherd (and her owner :p ) Anyone knows that when you marry a GSD owner you marry their dog...hehe

Fell in love with the both of them.

Seriously, I married a guy that had a GSD that was an amazing dog...she has passed on but I caught the GSD bug in the process. Now we have two amazing GSDs

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
My husband sent me to the shelter to get a little dog. They didn't have a little dog. Besides, I'm not really a "little dog fan." I picked the 2 year old German Shepherd. She is now 13. Despite my husbands' initial reaction - he adores her. And the dog? She worships the ground my husband walks on.

Would I adopt another GSD? Well, that's a no-brainer.

·
Registered
522 Posts
my mom has a boarding kennel, and she was boarding a GSD since he was a puppy. At 10 months, he needed a home, his owner couldn't take care of him anymore- my mom had a special bond with him, so we took him :) (King)
I was so scared of him for like 3 years, but then i started walking him, playing with him, feeding him, etc- we became so close, i was homebound (illness) for 3 years, and he was there with me through everything. I'm still stuck at home for the most part now, so I wanted a puppy. The obvious choice was a German Shepherd, so along came Niko first, then she passed away from ME, and then I got skylar- I couldn't have asked for a better dog.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My story -- well. We lost our Golden Retriever of 14 years. After about 6 months it was time to find a new family member. My son (10) at the time wanted "A police dog". I could have messed up really bad; we looked at a few BYB litters , really cute but I never got a good feeling. Luckily, I have shown quarter horses my whole life and happened to mention our search at a horse show one day. I got a great recomendation from a fellow horse shower (who also showed dogs) , I called and by that weekend I was the proud owner of an 18 month old very well bred male . I had 10 wonderful years with him "Beau". I have since gotten two dogs from the same kennel and found a passion for dog showing (expensive , but not as bad as horse showing) Louie is two pionts from his Championship and Kesha who is 8 months will start her show career this spring .. I will always have a shepherd!!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I knew I wanted a dog, but not sure which breed. I was reading up on different breed traits and using Dogster's handy tool that tells you which dog breeds would be good for you. GSD was on my list as well as a few others. Well I ended up adopting from a shelter not knowing her breed, but they said she is a GSD mix, so it all worked out!

·
Registered
495 Posts
I didn't want a GS. Only ones I ever really "knew" were police dogs. Aloof, couldn't care less if you petted them or not, no tail wag. Pfffttt.

Our dog, a Keeshond, Red, passed three years ago. We were finally ready for a dog and DH wanted a shepherd. Since he had put up with numerous - and I mean NUMEROUS - critters he didn't really want throughout the years, and since our kids are grown and this is to be OUR dog, I started reading up on the breed.

Well, they shed. Crap.
They need A LOT of exercise. Crap.
They're expensive. Double crap.

Then the day came and we adopted a GS/chow mix (although we're wondering more and more if she does have chow in her).

I fell head-over-heels with this amazing, intelligent, loving, friendly, velcro, land shark and have never looked back.

We schedule our days around what we can do with our dog. When we go out - can we take the dog? Does she need to walk more? How about more off-leash time?

I don't regret a single second given to her.

I can't imagine owning any other breed.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My hubby and I got our shepherd because he grew up with them. As a child, his dad had two shepherds. My husband remembers tugging on them laynig on them and they showed nothing but patience and love. They would sleep under his cradle at night.He wanted that for our children. I'd always had small dogs, but agreed to it and fell head over heels for the breed. We may adopt other breeds too, but we will always have a shepherd!

1 - 20 of 155 Posts