German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughters and I took Major to Petsmart this morning to look for a new harness. He was pulling the leash a little bit because he was really excited with the smells and sounds, but he did pretty good. He ignored all the people and most of the dogs, except for a beagle puppy that he touched noses with. All is well, right? Thought so until one of the workers came to help me with a harness. He seemed disinterested in her until she held her hand out. He went to sniff her and then all the sudden he snapped at her.

He's not used to strangers except for his trainer and I am trying my hardest to get him used to people. I certainly wouldn't want him to snap at a child.

Why do you think he did that? Fear? Aggression? What can I do to make sure this doesn't happen again?

·
Registered
32,416 Posts
How old is Major?

Sounds like he had enough and was hyped up. If he's under socialized then don't let people approach him. Give them a treat, they give it to him or drop it on the floor for him and they ignore him. No overt moves like leaning over him or reaching out to him. He can smell them but teach him to sit so he's not right up on them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old is Major?

Sounds like he had enough and was hyped up. If he's under socialized then don't let people approach him. Give them a treat, they give it to him or drop it on the floor for him and they ignore him. No overt moves like leaning over him or reaching out to him. He can smell them but teach him to sit so he's not right up on them.
He's 15 months old. We had some bad experiences with strangers when he was a younger puppy, so I didn't take him out places like I should have. He's much better than he was and I will take your advice. He's food motivated and will love anybody that feeds him. I'm hoping I can find someone willing to do that. Thanks!

·
Registered
32,416 Posts
At 15 months old, I would have them treat him and not give him a chance to snap.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Petsmart is a nightmare. And it's because of the people there. For a store devoted to family pets, everyone there is oblivious to common sense. I take my boy there only to walk the aisles. We stop for no one. As soon as I see the signs that something has gotten his attention he gets a correction. This is a pack walk and I am the leader. I say when we meet someone, not my GSD. Some would call me cruel. But a GSD is not a toy. They need a strong, capable, emotionally stable person. And I have found the majority of our species are nowhere near that level of stability.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
petsmart is a nightmare. And it's because of the people there. For a store devoted to family pets, everyone there is oblivious to common sense. I take my boy there only to walk the aisles. We stop for no one. As soon as i see the signs that something has gotten his attention he gets a correction. This is a pack walk and i am the leader. I say when we meet someone, not my gsd. Some would call me cruel. But a gsd is not a toy. They need a strong, capable, emotionally stable person. and i have found the majority of our species are nowhere near that level of stability.

:)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Petsmart is a nightmare. And it's because of the people there. For a store devoted to family pets, everyone there is oblivious to common sense. I take my boy there only to walk the aisles. We stop for no one. As soon as I see the signs that something has gotten his attention he gets a correction. This is a pack walk and I am the leader. I say when we meet someone, not my GSD. Some would call me cruel. But a GSD is not a toy. They need a strong, capable, emotionally stable person. And I have found the majority of our species are nowhere near that level of stability.
++1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts