German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rocky is a yr old intact GSD. He has been through obedience (we work this everyday) socialized since a young pup, he gets to go to town often and into stores (as many as I can find). We go to parks where he can see other dogs (on leash) and we go hiking too. Yesterday as we were walking into a pet store another dog ,a pup, was walking out. Pup wanted to play, was scrunch walking up to Rocky. Rocky reacted as if he was going to attack! Lunging ,barking/growl, hackles. They backed up and were going to let us through the atomatic sliding doors first but I had backed up turned my back to them ,facing Rocky and had him down/stay. I had him watching me. I also had told him "no ,leave it" when he was reacting. I don't know why he acted this way:confused: Just prior to this we had been to another pet store and he was rolling over for belly rubs from employees! He gets exposure from other dogs (he lives with 6 at home). My only thought on this is the sliding doors and a strange dog all at once?? Please offer advise on getting him to stop reacting to unknown dogs like he wants to tear them up! I did call our trainer but she is currently out of town on an extended trip.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anybody??

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
I wish I could tell you why he reacted the way he did, but I myself do not know. Maybe someone later more knowledgeable will come along and have a suggestion for you. Hope that you get things figured out. :)

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Our pups/dog change alot the first year or so. Why we need to keep exposing them to new things and guiding them thru the real world.

Have you been able to start up dog classes yet? Instances like these (actually preparing ourselves and our pups) are one of the many reasons that dog classes are ideal. Instead of being out in the world and suddenly surprised............... the environment of class not only has the situation more controlled but we instantly have the feedback and assistance from the instructor to help us react appropriately.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Exposure to strange dogs is completely different than exposure to the other dogs that he lives with. It's not the same at all.

Only advice I can offer is more exposure to strange dogs in controlled environments.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
It's because he's a year old and his perceptions of the world are in a state of great flux as he matures.

You handled it well--make it clear that you don't approve of the behavior, offer an alternative correct behavior that you can reward, and keep taking him out so he can continue to see the world and other dogs of a variety of sizes/shapes/ages in a variety of situations.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It's because he's a year old and his perceptions of the world are in a state of great flux as he matures.

You handled it well--make it clear that you don't approve of the behavior, offer an alternative correct behavior that you can reward, and keep taking him out so he can continue to see the world and other dogs of a variety of sizes/shapes/ages in a variety of situations.
So Christine, if I'm understanding you correctly this is another "phase" and this to shall pass? Please say yes ,please say yes,please say yes:fingerscrossed:

As I mentioned I did contact our trainer and we have discussed making arrangments to introduce Rocky to other"strangers" in a controled environment but she is currently away on an extended trip with her Vizsula vizula dogs - Bing Images and I don't like waiting while a problem is brewing. I did take him back into town the very next day and did have to correct when he barked at a person that was walking towards us. Much easier to redirect that time. I just need to understand whats going on in his head. Wish I had doggie esp :confused:

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i have a well trained dog and highly socialized dog.
he's loose on farms with chickens running around,
he's in center city, the burbs, strangers can hug him,
people visit us and bring their dogs with them, loves the
mailman, etc. on 2 occassions he's shown aggression
to 2 dogs for reasons only dogs know. he wasn't close to either
dog when growled and lunged. he's fine in the dog park.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I'm happy for you ,not quite sure how this helps with my situation though:confused:

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Well I'm happy for you ,not quite sure how this helps with my situation though:confused:
Doggiedad is saying that sometimes dogs find another dog they just don't like. Sort of like people. He has a well socialized, friendly dog, just like you do, but there was the same behavior shown. He's basically just saying you aren't alone and that what your dog did was probably normal - he just didn't like that particular dog.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oic Thanks for clearing that up :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Doggiedad is saying that sometimes dogs find another dog they just don't like. Sort of like people. He has a well socialized, friendly dog, just like you do, but there was the same behavior shown. He's basically just saying you aren't alone and that what your dog did was probably normal - he just didn't like that particular dog.
Very true. My dog has met hundreds, if not thousands of other dogs over the course of her life. She has liked every single dog she's ever met except for one, a lab that lives down the street from me. She hates that dog for some strange reason and they got in a fight the one day (as this lab roams free through the neighbourhood).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts