German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beyond crate training providing the benefits of making potty training easier and keeping your house and your puppy safe when you leave, crate training also provides a calmer feeling for your dog if they ever have to stay at the vets office overnight.

But THEN, if you crate train for no other reason, do it so your pet is less stressed and easier to manage in the event of an emergency and you have to evacuate. The fires going on again in Colorado are an EXCELLENT example of why crate training is beneficial. Many families have been evacuated and their pets have had to stay in shelters in crates.

Crate training has so many benefits, people would be amazed. The worst thing to happen in the event of an emergency is getting your pets out and to safety only to learn that they've escaped the crate at the shelter because they had never been in one before and panicked.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Mine has grown to really like her crate, she's been hiding her toys in there etc. I'm so glad I crate trained her. You make some really good points :) I'm a huge advocate of crate training

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I was actually thinking about that this morning at work. It makes me worry for the folks who have large kennels of dogs but might not have the vehicle space necessary to move them all in case of an evacuation... *shudder*

I'm also a huge advocate of crate training. Lots of folks don't seem to realize how handy it can be.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My Kaos never needed to be crate trained. He slept on my bed from the 2nd night I had him. Never tried to tear a pillow or a sheet. Stayed right by my side asleep. I would get up and take him outside. Had two accidents the whole time (never one sleeping) he was being potty trained. When I was at work I had a 7X6 foot kennel in my house so he had room to run around...... My puppy Havoc on the other hand. He had 2 accidents the 1st day I had him. Still at 5 months needs to be crated at night because after lying down 5-10 minutes wants to get into anything and every thing. Then he can't be left alone in Kaos old kennel because he made sections of carpet disappear digging while I was at work. Depends on the dog....

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
There was a list of the top 10 reasons why you should crate train and emergency situations was the one that convinced me. Even just an over night stay at an er would be so much less stressful when your dog is crate trained.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
We shoved TWO full grown GSDs into ONE 36" wire crate during the tornado. We literally had minutes to take cover. No time for messing around. I can only imagine what chaos would have occurred if they hadn't been used to being crated.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
That, and dogs need a safe place to retreat to when they feel they NEED a safe place to go.
I always have a crate open for Ozzy. With my bipolar II, sometimes I have episodes where I go a little crazy for basically no reason. I will yell and scream and throw stuff around for say... a pen not writing. Ozzy gets scared because I'm going nuts, so he retreats to his safe place - his crate. He sits there and waits for me to throw my fit, and when I'm done, he comes out and all is well.

I will admit - it's sad because the other dogs scatter and have no 'safe place' to go. They run and hide in corners and I have to go calm them all down, particularly our lab.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i love crate training :) my dogs love their crates to go and hide. when its feeding time my white male Tiki opens his crate door and goes in cuz thats where he feels safe to eat. He wont eat in the open he has to be in his crate. they love their crates for safety. The doors are kept open now but they go in on their own at bed time too

·
Registered
283 Posts
I had never crate trained until I got Emma. What a huge difference in potty training and in controlling her behavior. She does not use the crate now - she likes to sleep right beside me on the floor, or hide under the bed for her afternoon nap. However I did find two bones hidden in the crate tonight when I went to get the pad for the wash.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts