German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somehow the topic of dog training came up today at work.
Gina, who lives in the trailer on the property, was reminiscing about when Bandit was a puppy. He was trained to stay away from the road using a shock collar. Her bf brought home the collar, borrowed from a friend. They put it on Bandit (4? months old), cranked it to high and waited for him to go towards the highway. She was bragging that it only took him about 2 weeks to learn to stay away from the road. She said it was horrible how he would scream, though. Ya think????

That turned into a discussion of someone else that is "Great with animals" and can teach them "anything". They apparently just got an invisible fence since this dog refuses to stay in the yard. They are considering sending the dog to the pound, though, since the dog isn't catching on. They installed the fence, put the collar on the dog, and turned the system on high. They got some tennis balls and started chunking them over the property line. Of course, the dog chased the balls and the shock was enough to flip him "end over end," apparently a great laugh. Then the dog was afraid to come back in the yard and took off.

*SIGH* I'm just sick of listening to all this crap. I tried explaining how the training to the fence is supposed to work "Oh god that would take forever! Just let them get shocked a couple times and the dog'll figure it out"

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Oh some people just tick me off!!!! They need their dog taken away from them.

·
Registered
31,983 Posts
I'm looking for a good book for training an adult GSD.....specifically something that covers aggression and socialization
You might want to post this down in the training section.

·
Registered
626 Posts
There's idiots born into this world every 5 seconds ! :cool:

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AAARRGGHHH.. today was another of those days. She has been having trouble housebreaking her min-pin.
I'm sure you can guess the recommended method for dealing with the problem? Yup, rub his nose in it, spank him and toss him out the door. Doesn't matter if you catch him going or not. "He'll recognize the smell of his own pee and know that what he did was wrong" Of course, there was also the idea that he was doing it to her out of spite since he will potty right after she brings him inside.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Our AKC Member Obedience Training club was recently dis-invited to participate in a local adoption event sponsored by the Michigan Humane Society because our club allows the use of chain link correction collars and prong collars, and the MHS apparantly feels this to be improper. As if we go around teaching people to hang, choke, or inflict pain on thier dog in order to teach him how to be part of the family.....

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Our AKC Member Obedience Training club was recently dis-invited to participate in a local adoption event sponsored by the Michigan Humane Society because our club allows the use of chain link correction collars and prong collars, and the MHS apparantly feels this to be improper. As if we go around teaching people to hang, choke, or inflict pain on thier dog in order to teach him how to be part of the family.....
I think I would 'disinvite' any donations and volunteer work for such an organization if I were local, as well as inviting the local press to such a story.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts