German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I've tied before and always get nowhere. I'm trying to find a herding training facility and or evaluation site near essex NJ. I'm aware i might have to drive 30 mins or so.
Problem is, when I find some, I never receive any information back when I try to confirm a visit.

Thanks for any and all help or advise.

Just looking for a new fun way to work/train/play with my boy to keep expanding his mental stimulation and growth

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
You could also try Agility. Or maybe joining a GSD club in your area.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I would try calling. My herding trainer has email but is terrible about it. Also, maybe check the AKC and AHBA event listings to see if there are any events in your area coming up.

I would also expand your drive time to at least an hour. I have never driven less than an hour to go herding.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Herding trainers are notorious for being hard to get into contact with, it seems!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Pretty sure he has clients that come from NJ for training. Usually does a few lessons in a weekend for you. Trial is coming up on Oct 11th. Going to watch. Hopefully either both of my pups or one of them will be suitable for training when they are old enough.

Truly pasture raised lambs. White Clover Sheep Farm

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you every one. Glad it's just not me, with the ol getting a hold of them lol. I figured I would have to drive an hr also, but threw out the 30 min ride for wishful dreaming lol.

I'm not to sure about agility, as from what I've seen, (granted not much) everything just seems to restricted.
The idea with herding was, as I could be wrong also, but more opened, interaction with animals. (I really am interested in this, as I have ferrets and cats at home that my boy interacts with) I wanted to expand on this and grow. M boy has already started to with me follow my hand signs while out running.
I take him out for fetch/tug-reinforcement drills in open parks or fields. He seems to love it, as he can explore off via himself, chase squires and birds, and while in chase I call him back to a heal, or Platz with his tug to reinforce. He will also stalk and crouch down while moving. Slow to sneak up, while **** then freeze look back at me for an "ok" or just stares until I say go... Then off he chases. Things like this just give me the idea that hearding would be very rewarding for him. Even if it's something that he can just partly do. I also love being out and working with animals, so it gives us an amazing bonding partnership, just the two of us.
Sorry for the long responce. Just wanted to give a back story of what I'm looking for. If anyone has other ideas of things to look into that might be enticing, please let me know!

Thank you!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,213 Posts
there used to be a herding club in NJ but it died for lack of enough support...there were only 2 GSD herding (HGH) clubs in the US....now there is one only - in the Finger Lakes region that is mentioned above

:( :( :(

Lee

·
Registered
788 Posts
Pretty sure he has clients that come from NJ for training. Usually does a few lessons in a weekend for you. Trial is coming up on Oct 11th. Going to watch. Hopefully either both of my pups or one of them will be suitable for training when they are old enough.

Truly pasture raised lambs. White Clover Sheep Farm

Wow this is really close to me. Perhaps we will think about it when my pup hits 1 year...we will be training for fly ball not too far from here!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This stinks... I'm tempted to buy some land and offer this. Would have to hire someone who knows how to teach it first lol..

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
The only AKC herding event in NJ was in Shamog. The Burlington County kennel club. I'm surprised there isn't more herding in NJ

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Wow this is really close to me. Perhaps we will think about it when my pup hits 1 year...we will be training for fly ball not too far from here!
Where are you located? You training at Boomtowne?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Why can't I find hearding?

I'm in Syracuse. Yes at Boomtowne.

I'm hoping to get into Flyball at the end of Sept or just start puppy pre-k...my puppy will only be 9 weeks when flyball starts so we may have to wait until the next session.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I'll check it out. So anyone else interested in trying herding?
I definitely am, but I'm located in Metro Detroit. There's a few farmers out here that have a lot of working dogs more in the northern part...My uncle who herds (he's just too far, way up in the UP), and he suggested this. Reach out to a local farmer or something of that nature if you absolutely have no resources. I am going to keep my eye on this thread though, and happy herding!!!

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
I definitely am, but I'm located in Metro Detroit. There's a few farmers out here that have a lot of working dogs more in the northern part...My uncle who herds (he's just too far, way up in the UP), and he suggested this. Reach out to a local farmer or something of that nature if you absolutely have no resources. I am going to keep my eye on this thread though, and happy herding!!!
You realize you need a trainer to teach your dog to herd right?

Just letting your shepherd go into a flock of sheep...especially one that isn't dog broke is extremely dangerous and pointless. What's the point of just letting your dog run around sheep if you're not going to train it to actually control the flock?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts

Just letting your shepherd go into a flock of sheep...especially one that isn't dog broke is extremely dangerous and pointless. What's the point of just letting your dog run around sheep if you're not going to train it to actually control the flock?

Really, you need a trainer to train?? NO wayyy lol sorry couldn't resist...Of course I realize that! What I am saying though is a lot of people who are respectable trainers and such DO NOT advertise as they do not need to. My uncle made the suggestion to reach out to a farmer to see what they do. My apologies, I am just not used to having to explain every aspect of an answer :confused: I will just shut up now and moving on.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
BTW I am not intending any disrespect, because you offer good advice. But you realize that you keep making assumptions about things that I say often right? I know sometimes I kind of babble on, and I accept that fault about myself. But do you realize that intentionally or unintentionally, that you come off as incredibly condescending? I know there are lots of people out that whose intelligence should be questioned, but please do not make that assumption of me. If you don't care, that is fine. Just wanted to bring it up because sometimes people don't realize they are doing something until someone tells them. Once again, MOVING ON.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts

...She said she was going to reach out to a local farmer... Never mentioned letting her dog loose on a flock of sheep. I mean, c'mon...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts