German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're afraid of dog?. A young 10ish year old boy was about to pee in his pants when he spotted Josie. He and his mom was leaving petco. Josie, hubby and I was entering the store. The boy just froze, when she got closer he ran behind the mother :rolleyes:. Josie made airplane ears and tails waggin' a mile a minute and the boy was scared pantless lol. She was right next to me in my total control but somehow the boy thought Josie was going to go after him.

However the mother said hello " gorgeous dog!". Trying to re-assure him that she isn't going to bite. She did pet Josie, but the boy wasn't having none of it.

Maybe he does have fearful of dogs in general, who knows, or maybe because she's a German Shepherd. Either way, if you're that terrified of dogs why go to stores like petco?.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I agree, I went down an Isle with Max, and when the mom saw us she grabbed the little one put the kid in front of her and turned to the shelves to protect her and her child, as I passed i said "your kidding right?"

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Maybe he does have fearful of dogs in general, who knows, or maybe because she's a German Shepherd. Either way, if you're that terrified of dogs why go to stores like petco?.
Maybe because he was 10 years old and his mother didn't want to leave him alone in the car in the heat?

Maybe because the mother is working on trying to get his son more exposure to different type of dogs?

Maybe because he got bit by a big dog some time ago, and his parents are encouraging him to try and overcome his fear?

Good for Josie to have been such a well behaved dog, and good for the mom for being a good example for the child. Might take a few harmless experiences like yours for this boy to start feeling more comfortable around big dogs, in the meantime, pat yourself on the back for having done such a good job with Josie, and give Josie a hug for being such a good breed ambassador!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I actually just had Baron to Petco last night. lol. I always get mixed reviews. Some people are afraid of the breed and then others can't get over how handsome he is. :D I actually had two kids that wanted their picture taken with him last night. lol. Then they tried convincing me that their white shep at home has papers...they were like ten and twelve....

Maybe the boy is into reptiles and fish? My brother's girlfriend LOVES snakes and spiders and all the creepy crawlies but was afraid of my female lab/shep mix....I think you can just look at her and know she isn't vicious. lol

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
I agree, I went down an Isle with Max, and when the mom saw us she grabbed the little one put the kid in front of her and turned to the shelves to protect her and her child, as I passed i said "your kidding right?"
hahaha. And this is an example of a mother doing the opposite of a good job not scaring their child....

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
And times like this we need to show how well trained our dogs are by being able to walk past people who are terrified with our dog in a calm controlled manner. Or better yet when we see someone so scared what harm to pause and let them by with our own body between the dog and them? There is never a need to make a rude remark to someone acting on a fear.

hahaha. And this is an example of a mother doing the opposite of a good job not scaring their child....
Yes, it is sad that some people have such a distrust of our breed. By seeing well-mannered dogs and responsible owners over time they may begin to look on Shepherds in a better light.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
we try to help people that have fears like that. We were on the toy aisle in Petsmart a few months ago and a young bay about 8 years old, was with his mom, and grandma and was pretty intimidated by dakota. Well I had walk over and I showed him his new tricks, and we did shake and high five. And it seemed to help a little, and then I had dakota lay down and lay on his side. And the little boy was brave enough to come and pet him on the side by his tail.

A lot of kids are easily intimidated by large dogs, and making rude comments like that only make it worse. We should be making an effort to show people how wonderful this dog breed is. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was at a park with Jericho a couple of weeks ago. He was excited but was minding his manners. He greeted everyone nicely who came up to him. There was this little kid probably around 2ish. He came over an Jericho was laying down and the kid came over and sat on him. jericho just licked his leg and let him do what he wanted but the little kid's mother finally, I guess, noticed her son had wandered away. And she sees him with Jericho and flips her lid. Mind you I am standing right there and they had been with each other for a few minutes anyway. If there would have been a problem I could have easily stepped in and got the kid. But they were just sitting there Jericho laying down and the little kid sitting in the grass next to him petting him. Well the mom comes running over and, pretty roughly, grabs the kid by the arm and pulls him away. This scares the kid who starts screaming, which makes Jericho jump and start whining. I make him lay back down and I hear the mother yelling at this little boy telling him "If you go near dogs like that they will eat you." And all kinds of other stuff. All I can do is stand there in utter shock. Why would she say that after the kid had already met the dog and nothing bad had happened. I could see it if it had been a dog that was unattended or was snapping or growling at him. But none of that happened.

I saw them again later on and the mom had this death grip on her son and pulled him past where Jericho and I were sitting and I could see the kid looked terrified. It was sad.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't think any responsible dog owner would take their dog into petco if they are aggressive. While that doesn't mean you should just go up to any animal and start petting them I think it would be reasonable to assume they aren't going to run down the aisle and attack.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
However the mother said hello " gorgeous dog!". Trying to re-assure him that she isn't going to bite. She did pet Josie, but the boy wasn't having none of it.

Well, maybe mom was trying to help the kid work thru his fear of dogs? I know when I was a little kid I had an irrational fear of anything that flew ... birds, planes, etc. My aunt and uncle kept me one summer and every evening took me to the old Congressional Airport to watch planes take off and land! It worked and I got over my phobia.

BUT if someone had their pet 20' python slithering around PetCo on a lead, I'd be scared and would avoid them at all costs, I'd probably leave the store. Lots of people go to pet stores for different reasons and there's no reason we should assume they're all dog lovers.

·
Registered
31,126 Posts
Maybe they own a cat, or a hamster or something.
That was my first thought!! Or maybe a smaller dog?

I walked into our local petstore and a little boy yelled "It's a police dog!" and ran as fast as he could to the other side of the store. I asked if he wanted to pet herr and told him she was nice but he wasn't having any of that.

So the best I could do was keep her in an obedience mode to show him she wasn't going to attack anyone.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I think a lot of it is kids are afraid the big dog is going to jump on them. Probably most dogs they meet in their neighborhoods are jumpers.

I say this because that's what scared me most as a kid. I liked dogs, but there was one really happy medium sized mutt that was just too energetic. He'd spot me a quarter mile away and come running full speed to jump on me. I would crouch down into a ball and covered my head like we learned during tornado drills at school. It's not that I didn't like the dog, I just didn't want to get pummelled.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
you find it funny that the boy was
afraid of your dog. did you do anything
to make the situation better for the boy?

it doesn't matter where you are when you're
afraid of dogs. when you encounter one the fear is there.

instead of laughing at a little boy who's
afraid of dogs be a good dog person and do something positive.

If you're afraid of dog?. A young 10ish year old boy was about to pee in his pants when he spotted Josie. He and his mom was leaving petco. Josie, hubby and I was entering the store. The boy just froze, when she got closer he ran behind the mother :rolleyes:. Josie made airplane ears and tails waggin' a mile a minute and the boy was scared pantless lol. She was right next to me in my total control but somehow the boy thought Josie was going to go after him.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
well it sounds like "mom" was trying to make no big deal out of the situation for her son, but wasn't working,,maybe the kid has some fish?? Not all that go to petco /petsmart are there for the 'dogs' ..

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
I don't think any responsible dog owner would take their dog into petco if they are aggressive. While that doesn't mean you should just go up to any animal and start petting them I think it would be reasonable to assume they aren't going to run down the aisle and attack.
I agree.
If you go into petco or another bigbox, guaranteed you'll probably run into a dog or two.
Many children and adults are afraid of dogs or cats or birds, snakes-whatever. Keeping a safe distance is what anyone should do if they have fears. I don't bring my dogs up close to people out of respect for their space.
Some people do bring in reactive dogs to pet stores to work out the behaviors. This is why it is important to teach children and adults "canine communication" and manners about going up to strange dogs. I wish they would teach it in school(many won't get it at home for sure), it may lower the bite incident statistics.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I get mixed reviews too. People are in shock when I tell them Tanner is a GSD(most think he is a wolf) or people who have tiny dogs and are scared that little Fifi is going get eaten by the big bad dog.lol

People always like to pet Molly and Tanner.:D

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
you find it funny that the boy was
afraid of your dog. did you do anything
to make the situation better for the boy?

it doesn't matter where you are when you're
afraid of dogs. when you encounter one the fear is there.

instead of laughing at a little boy who's
afraid of dogs be a good dog person and do something positive.
Gah you like to start fights don't you?. I wasn't laughing AT the kid. I was laughing at myself just how silly the whole thing was. I am so used to people wanting to run up wanting to pet my fluffy sheltie and having a bigger dog you see different reactions from different people. So i think it's normal for me to think to myself that it is a bit silly. No i didn't stick around, we kept on walking into the store, why put more fear in the kid by letting him pet Josie?, it was just a walk by type of thing.

I get he may be scared of dogs or whatever and i am not laughing at him for that!. In the end she ended up being a good ambassador because she ended up saying hello to a 3 year old little boy and his father who was in that same store. So don't tell me i'm an awful dog owner!

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
I agree that mom may have been trying to socialize her fear of dogs kid. She may have been trying to get him past this issue. Maybe the child HAD been bitten by a large dog, maybe even a GSD. Maybe they are working on this so that the kid does not have to become an adult with a debilitating fear.

As for assuming dogs in pet stores are friendly, well.... No, I do not think it is safe to believe this. You are very right about no responsible pet owner bringing an aggressive dog to the store. But there are many ignorant pet owners who do not realize that their dog's fearful behavior is not funny, and have no clue that the dog will bite if pushed into a corner. Also, there are people there trying to socialize their young dogs to dogs and people and these dogs are works in progress.

When we have dogs who are dog aggressive due to fear, the answer is not to take them home and leave them in the back yard. It is maybe not to expose them to a busy day at a dog store. But it is better than a dog park. At the store at least, dogs are on leash. Sign the dog up for classes, and then practice at places where you are likely to see other dogs.

So if you have a kid who is afraid of dogs, do you just leave him at home for the rest of his life? I do not think so. I think that you have to get them out there, and be very pro-active and careful. Sometimes the parents actions can do an awful lot to help or hinder a kid. It sounds like the original Mom did a great job of not over-reacting, but trying to make this not a big deal.

Too many crazy parents like Mom2 are doing their children no favors by their bahavior. In the world according to Sue, this type of reaction would be considered child endangering or something a little more specific.

Children who are afraid of dogs are much more likely to get bitten.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts