German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a stupid question but, why is it okay to feed a puppy as young as four weeks old raw but they shouldn't have Innova Evo until they're 1 or even 2years old. I would think that the protein content in raw would be as much if not more than the Evo.

Just curious.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
When I emailed Wellness asking if I could feed a pup their new Core line, their reply spoke to calcium levels and not protein levels.

I have started to see more thought that rather than protein levels causing the rapid growth and bone issues it's calcium and energy levels in the food.

It's all very complicated!

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Our bodies are mostly water. Same with animals.
And I am extra careful with calcium in a pup. Things like eggshells that are LOADED with calcium. The pup might get several eggs per week but only one eggshell every other week or so.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I just read a good article about this in the Whole Dog Journal. Raw food has a large amount of water in it whereas kibble has very little water. So although a raw diet is all meat (some raw diets) it does not have as much protein as the higher protein kibble.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That all makes sense. This whole food search is such a pain!!

I've decided on the EVO adult for Harmony, b/c of allergies and such. But I guess I'll go with the Canidae ALS for the pup. I have them both on the NB Sweet Potato and Fish right now and they both have gas and Harmony's itchy and has eye boogers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts