German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This one doesn't affect me too much, but it's been on my mind...

My baby's currently going through her second heat. She's just under 15 months. I've done a fair amount of research on this forum and others re: spaying, and the general answer seems to be either early or between 18 and 24 months. I balanced up the pros/cons of early spaying and decided to wait.

Recently, I've been reading a lot about working dogs - and specifically those in protection work. My dog almost certainly won't go down this route, but it doesn't seem uncommon for owners in these sectors to advocate later spaying (between 2 and 3 years) or no spaying at all unless medically necessary. I can provide links if it helps...

As I understand things, spaying after around 18 months shouldn't make much difference to personality. If this is the case, why do a fair few working dog owners take a different stance? I'm not saying that all do, but it doesn't seem at all uncommon.

Does leaving a dog intact have any personality/drive impact that's important in these sectors? Or is it just that spaying isn't necessary, and would take a dog out of action during a time when it could be starting more serious training and/or beginning to work?

Thanks for your input!

(On a side note, I'd be interested to know why heat is often seen as such an inconvenience. We have to alter our exercise plans a little and clean up more, but it's not the end of the world... Especially with the special underwear! I can see how it'd be different if you had an intact male in the house, but otherwise, I don't think this should play too much of a role in people's spay earlier/later decision... Just a thought! :) )

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I would hazard a guess and say it's horomone based. I know it was strongly recommended to not neuter mine unless I had to because we were doing SAR. The thought behind it was that he'd be more drivey with all the testosterone. I think it's a similar thought process for the girls (excess estrogen makes them more drivey), but I'm not sure the exact reason. Finn is not neutered and is doing fine. My next GSD will probably be a girl and I'm likely to partial spay her (keep the ovaries, take the uterus. Leaves hormones, but no chance of puppies) instead of the whole thing.

·
Registered
31,797 Posts
I think it's more of a health decision. I was told by my trainer that spaying can actually make a female more aggressive because of the hormone imbalance.

As far as the dog being in heat and affecting sports....it's a distraction to other dogs. That is my understanding as to why they are not allowed to participate during a heat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts