German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought I'd get some outside opinions on this, as I'm very biased.

My sister and I live together. Yesterday, while I was at work, Gable began to experience some gastrointestinal distress, and the reason became obvious when he began passing tampons. MANY of them. Neither of us knows where he got the tampons, but that's not the issue.

When I got home, Gabe was running free in the house. There were little piles of feces all over the living room, and four inside of his crate. The collapsible canvas travel crate I had bought (and never used) was in the center of the room, torn open.

Apparently, instead of taking out the crate pan or cleaning it, since she didn't want to, my sister just took out and opened up the collapsible crate and put him in there. This crate, I bought ONLY for traveling use, as Gabe has a history of crate-escaping. It's smaller than his normal crate, and much more fragile, and it was not supposed to be used when he was unsupervised in an open space.

...But the fact is that it's destroyed now, and it wasn't cheap.

My sister says that it's neither her problem nor responsibility because "I didn't do it. He did." and "Not my dog."

Like I said, I know I'm a biased party, but is it too much to expect some financial help in replacing the crate? Or even an apology?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I agree with you that your sister is a jerk, but yeah, it probably is too much if she's that much of a slacker. You have to decide if it's really worth a fight.

Jelpy

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
On the other hand, if it's that fragile, is it really safe to use as a traveling crate? It would be awful if you thought he was safely contained only to have him tear open the travel crate and escape from the car. She may have performed and entirely unintentional favor.

Jelpy

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, canvas VS determined canine teeth is hardly a fair fight...

That's why I only got it to use for when he wouldn't be alone. In the car, to use at outdoor events, etc. He only tries to escape when he's alone.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
It doesn't sound like she wants any responsibility of the dog. He did something, she didn't want to clean up his (or in her mind your) mess. When it comes to dog feces...I understand when some people don't want to deal with it, and if its not their dog they really shouldn't have to. Unless you've made some sort of agreement as to who does what when it comes to the dog...I don't see why she should have any responsibility to take care of him and watch him when you're not around (especially if she doesn't want to).

I understand that you probably gave her clear directions about the crate...but since she didn't want to deal with YOUR dog doing his business all over the place for some time while trying to pass all the tampons, she tried to do something to contain him. I really can't fault her in this situation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It isn't about who's to blame; I don't think she should have crated him at all if he was in distress, she should have put him on the linoleum (easy to clean up), and called you. I have a lot of sisters (5, and I'm the youngest), so I know, it's about what you're willing to start a fight about. If you're very upset (and I would be), you can make a stink about what the crate costs, but be sure it's worth it.

I always lose my temper first, and then pay for it later. I would have been more upset about the tampons; and I'm sure I would have blamed her for that.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesn't sound like she wants any responsibility of the dog. He did something, she didn't want to clean up his (or in her mind your) mess. When it comes to dog feces...I understand when some people don't want to deal with it, and if its not their dog they really shouldn't have to. Unless you've made some sort of agreement as to who does what when it comes to the dog...I don't see why she should have any responsibility to take care of him and watch him when you're not around (especially if she doesn't want to).

I understand that you probably gave her clear directions about the crate...but since she didn't want to deal with YOUR dog doing his business all over the place for some time while trying to pass all the tampons, she tried to do something to contain him. I really can't fault her in this situation.
She told me later that he was crying inside for a really long time....which tells me that she wasn't letting him outside. While he can normally hold it for awhile, I'm all-around angry that she wouldn't let my sick, crying dog outside to go potty and then all of this happened as a result of the mess.

I know he's not her dog, but she can't even get up from the couch to take him outside? And she's looking for a puppy right now. I hope she realizes that they make messes...

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I doubt it. She'll probably expect you to clean up after her dog too.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
She told me later that he was crying inside for a really long time....which tells me that she wasn't letting him outside. While he can normally hold it for awhile, I'm all-around angry that she wouldn't let my sick, crying dog outside to go potty and then all of this happened as a result of the mess.

I know he's not her dog, but she can't even get up from the couch to take him outside? And she's looking for a puppy right now. I hope she realizes that they make messes...
Oh I'm not saying she was right...she definitely mistreated that dog and I don't know how anyone could do that. First you know the dog is in discomfort...and second its crapping all over your house...so why wouldn't you just make it easier for yourself and let it crap outside lol?

But I just know that people don't always take care of OUR dogs the way we want them to. Also not many people have the same ideas about taking care of dogs. One person might think its alright to allow their dogs to do X while another might not. It's just a weird situation when there are animals in the house and both people that live there don't consider those dog's theirs. I know that in most households the responsibility of the dog usually falls on one person, like I generally walk my dog, train him, ect, but it doesn't mean that my GF wouldn't walk him if I had something to do and couldn't. It is scary though that she wants to get her own dog...I think if that happens you might need to look for a different living situation, you two will constantly be bumping heads on the treatment of each other's pets.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
It isn't about who's to blame; I don't think she should have crated him at all if he was in distress, she should have put him on the linoleum (easy to clean up), and called you. I have a lot of sisters (5, and I'm the youngest), so I know, it's about what you're willing to start a fight about. If you're very upset (and I would be), you can make a stink about what the crate costs, but be sure it's worth it.

I always lose my temper first, and then pay for it later. I would have been more upset about the tampons; and I'm sure I would have blamed her for that.

Great advice...coming from #3 of four sisters.....

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
My sister and I own a house together, I own two dogs and she owns one. We have a deal that whoever is home takes care of the dogs, when we're both home we're responsible for our own.

We have our own rules and the other follows, it makes things much easier though of course there are spats.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I guess I'm the only one saying kick the sister out. But that's cuz I have a low tolerance for people that act like that ...good luck

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
How old is your sister? She sounds young. Can you set up care for your dog as if no one was at home for example crating him for a few hours or asking her to call you if hes visibly in stress?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
If the dog was sick, no one is really to blame. My sister takes care of my dogs on some weekends but if they are sick, I ask her to call me and ask what to do. My sister has never actually owned a pet so she wouldn't know.

·
Registered
32,013 Posts
The crate is to blame. Frankly. I think that your sister did you a favor in that now you know that the crate is totally worthless.

I had one of those crates. Oh, I don't know the make or model now, after the fact. But I put a 12 week old puppy in it and headed off to dog class 30 minutes away. My puppy did not take 5 minutes to rid itself of that nasty little weinie crate. And it wasn't a cheap nylon one form WalMart. I paid a pretty penny for it.

But it was done. In less than five minutes. While I was in the car with her. A baby-puppy! Ah well, the important thing is if your pup is ok. If your sister does want to get a puppy, then I think you and she need to sit down and discuss this incident. Dogs cannot wait if they are sick. They need to go out, and it is bordering on cruelty to be there and not let a dog out when he is clearly distressed. I would tell her point blank that if it is at all possible, I would put the kabosh on any puppy while living with you, unless she realizes that if you aren't home and your dog is having a problem, she needs to do something.

Clearly understanding and agreeing with expectations concerning the dogs' care will make things easier down the line, hopefully.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts