German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right! Ozzy is! ('Cause it's DEFINITELY not that little alien dog, Boo!)

Ozzy ran almost perfect all weekend. The only heat he 'screwed up' on was when he knocked down the last jump before the box, and he went around it coming back. So I can't really blame him. I'm going to request that we train for that at next practice, because that's not the first time he's knocked down the very same jump and gone around it. (I reran him, but he still went around). :/

He got 505 NAFA points this weekend, totaling 987, which gives him his FDCh! He is now only THIRTEEN POINTS away from his FDCh-S! Had he not 'messed up' on that one heat, he would have gotten it! DANG IT! Oh well - next time! I'm still one PROUD MOMMA. :)

Before the racing even started on the first day, I thought I may have crippled him! I took him over to measure again (because last year, he was all over the place and they didn't really get a definitive height on him, so he was jumping 8"). He was RIGHT AT the 13" at the withers, which would set the jumps to 8".
He told me to run him around a bit to get him to relax a little, so I took him out and had him running next to me. I stepped on his ENTIRE back leg, and he started screaming bloody murder for about five seconds. I stopped (obviously), in a panic to make sure he was okay. After he finished screaming for a few seconds, he was fine. He's such a little trooper! :) (But for those few seconds, I was terrified that I'd just crippled his team's solid height dog).
Took him back to measure again, and he was at 12 and 3/4" which put the jumps at 7"! WHOOT!!!

He did pick up a few extra heats, because the other height dog we had listed on his team, for some reason, kept going around some of the jumps - so they swapped her out with him a few times. So it's a darn good thing I didn't cripple him, or the jumps would be automatically set at 14"!

There was a Pomeranian rescue at the tournament, and of course, me having the only Pom racing, they were cheering him on in all his races. :)
I did get to talking to them, and I'm highly concerned for two of their dogs. (Going off topic for a moment, sort of).

One of their Poms is two years old with next to zero socialization. I know this because she told me. He was terrified of everything. And when he acted horrified, of course she picked him right back up and coddled and babied him....

Then their other Pom I was talking to her about (also named Ozzy) was rescued by someone else from a puppy mill. From what I understand, they were telling me the people that rescued him spent a ton of money to have every test in the book done on him to find a reason to put him down. (Didn't make sense to me, but... whatever). They got him from those people, and he was just outside, running around one day when his wrist snapped. She told me that all the testing gave him brittle bones.

And they want to enter him into flyball as well.

Nothing about that sounds like a good idea to me. A dog with brittle bones, hitting the box at full speed, when he broke a bone just running around in the yard? Not to mention, every now and then, dogs DO collide with one another. And it almost never ends well, whether they have brittle bones or not!
I was in too much shock listening to their story to say anything in time.

Okay, back to my Ozzy, haha.

I couldn't be more proud of my boy! I think I'll have to just accept the fact that, after every tournament, he'll be one heat away from his next title. LOL
At the last tournament, he ended with 482, which was only 18 points away from his FDCh.
It's nice to know that he'll get it right off the bat at the next one, though. :)

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Congratulations!! :)

As for the other two, unfortunately you can't always convince other people to do something, even if it's the obvious best choice for the dog. I hope they realize the dog can get seriously hurt and decide against it

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I see them again (because I've seen them at several dog events as vendors), I'll explain to them that flyball isn't clear cut, and mistakes DO happen.

Ozzy was almost trampled by a dog he was racing with. She came back, I released Ozzy to the box, but the lab's owner didn't restrain her, and she ran down the lane right behind Ozzy. Thankfully, our box loader's quick thinking saved him from any injuries. As soon as he hit the box to get the ball, he reached down and scooped him up.

I'm just hoping it doesn't take a tragedy for them to realize it's not a good idea. :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts