German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is the correct place to put this, but I need some opinions.
I have a 2 year old, 70 lb male german shepherd, and a 15 week old, 35 lb german shepherd. This morning, at 9am, my puppy woke me up to let him go potty. I had taken 3 Benadryl at 2am so I was still sleepy so I let him go out and run around the backyard. At 11am, my doorbell rang and it was Animal Control. They said they had gotten a call about my two dogs "who are reported to always be running the streets" (NEVER HAVE MY DOGS RUN ANY KIND OF STREET!) and we went into my backyard and we found Bender, my 15 week old puppy. We also found a 2x2 foot hole at the bottom of the fence that separates ours and the back neighbors yards. My back neighbor has a 3 year old very hyper chocolate lab who is stuck outside all day, as an outside dog. He was nowhere to be seen.
Apparently his dog digs because a couple months ago, a hole appeared in the dirt under the same exact spot where the fence is now broken. My neighbor placed a bag of cement over the hole to keep his dog from digging there.

So, I sent my boyfriend to go talk to this guy who has always been a ... female hygiene product, and the guy cussed out my boyfriend saying MY dog did this. My puppy is goofy and NOT strong enough to rip apart a **** fence, and he has never shown any interest in this fence. He usually runs around for 5 minutes then goes to sleep on our huge covered patio. His dog, however, loves to run the fenceline with my older dog and they stick their noses where the hole used to be and play through the fence. The kicker is though, my older dog didn't go outside even till noon! Just the puppy. Anyways, he is threatening to do something to our dogs if they go to his side of the yard and he refuses to fix the fence because he swears up and down it was MY dog, not his 80lb chocolate lab who is left outside all day and barks.

All the wood chips are on his side of the fence. Nothing on mine. Which to me is indicative of his dog digging and ripping apart the fence because dogs throw the dirt UNDER them and behind them. My puppy can't even pull me if I stop moving and he is on a leash, much less move a 60lb bag of cement of the other side of the fence. He is not strong enough at all. Lastly, the way the wood is broken is indicative of it being pulled inwards towards his yard, not like a puppy who would have snapped it into our yard. Anyways, opinions please. Just because I am moving out of this rental by the end of the month (THANK GOD) and I want to talk to my rental manager about if this is my responsibility or not. And if it's my fault, I don't want to be the one looking stupid.

Attachments

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have no idea about the "who's responsible of taking care of it" but I have a neighbor to the right of us that has a gate to our backyard and signs that say to not put "rubbish or trash" near the fence... My dog is watched like a hawk to make sure creepy gate in the fence guy stays on his side and leaves our dog alone. Our own solution though to the problem is to build another fence and have it only a foot away from the old fence that is apparently (according to mr. i have a gate to your backyard) is his fence but is technically on our property!

Good luck with your rental manager and I vote that the 80lb lab did it (obviously)...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I mean Bender is 35 lbs but he is NOT strong in the slightest. He can't even run 100% correctly yet, he is just tall and lanky.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It seems likely that the other dog did it. Especially if your pup was still in the yard. A pup that digs a hole under the fence wants OUT....why would he still be in the backyard?

But either way, I despise people who threaten to "do something" to an animal. A good person, an animal lover, would try to solve the problem like a civil adult for the good of the people AND the animals. They would not threaten the innocent dog.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Looks like the neighbor dog did the deed! I know you said you rent, we lined the bottom of our fence with chicken wire, folded like with half attached to the fence and half flat on the ground. Then we laid rail rode ties over that the whole yard. Our gsds have never tried to dig out, they stay in the house when we leave anyway, but our neighbors dogs have never been able to dig thru either! It is chain link. As always, u gotta do what's going to protect your dog, the other people always seem to think you're responsible cause u have the "big bad gsd"!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I think I would show you landlord the pics, don't know who owns the fence but I'd think he'd agree looks like damage coming from the other side. Wouldn't want to lose your deposit or pay for the damage. I paid for the fencing around my yard, but the neighbors attach to it etc.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Okay good I just want to make sure tomorrow when I go to management, I can show this was their dog. This man has always been extremely rude and snobby. He just snapped on my boyfriend when he went to talk to him (this guy owns his house). My friends say I should change Bender's name to Incredible Hulk because if little old him did that..... anyways lol. Well thank you all. I will post back what they say. My "neighbor" put planks of wood over the hole. I guess he couldn't handle his outside dog being in the house for a few hours. Cause his dog is back out there.

Here's a pic of my mean, plotting, fence-destroying puppy.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts