German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a bottle today. Should I use the pump it came with? Will using the pump make it go bad earlier?

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
When I've bought the pumpable stuff, I found that the pump makes a mess, so I toss the pump and pour it. You can use a measuring spoon if you're worried about accuracy (I eyeball it).

Someone here said that the pump injects air into the bottle and causes the oil to go rancid quickly. But I go through the oil fast, so that's not a huge concern of mine. But fish oil on the kitchen counter or my kitchen cabinet shelf because it gets all over the place?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 3K9Mom. I'll be using a measuring spoon and no pump. I can't stand mess.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I use the salmon oil from Wholistic Pet and have had no problem with the pump or oil becoming rancid. I use alot, as well for everyone here...none the less, I have no mess or issues with anything about it. I use their Canine Complete, too and love the stuff, plain and simple, it is fabulous!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided to give the pump a try. It is very sturdy and no mess.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
I also use Wholistic and the pump
No probem with the oil going back and I'm using it for just one dog

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Hmmm. I must've got a defective pump my first time out and I haven't tried since.
I'll have to give it another go!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Coconut oil is much neater than salmon oil. No danger of pump accidents. Oops sorry, couldn't resist. I'm using up my salmon oil and then switcher over completely for a while.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowCoconut oil is much neater than salmon oil. No danger of pump accidents. Oops sorry, couldn't resist.

Don't you just have a cocos nucifera tree growing in your yard?
Just reach out and pluck a fruit each day, toss it into your juicer and you're set?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Originally Posted By: 3K9MomHmmm. I must've got a defective pump my first time out and I haven't tried since.
I'll have to give it another go!
You know, I had one pump that did that to me before (I use Salmon oil, but a different brand). I ended up placing the bottle in a zip lock container so it leaked into the container. My current bottle came with a plastic bag arond it, so I just keep in around the bottle to catch any leaks (better safe than sorry!), but I haven't had any since that one bottle.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Originally Posted By: 3K9MomSomeone here said that the pump injects air into the bottle and causes the oil to go rancid quickly.
I use Wholistic Pet salmon oil, as well (rotate that with Udo's). The first one I bought had a funky pump that was kind of messy & splattered out the neck of the pump. Haven't had a problem since. Also wanted to mention that storing oils in the refrigerator will help against them going rancid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts