German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found a supplier that had "chicken pieces" $.40/lb. I was super stoked and bought 45 lbs. The guy told me that there may/may not be bones in the box.

When I got it home...it was frozen whole chickens...

Do any of you give half or whole chickens for a full day meal? Half would be close, but I'm not sure it would be enough bone.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I would cut them up, separate, and weigh them since each chicken will not be equal in weight, amount of organs, and bone. It'll be a days work and a pain, but well worth it that cheap:)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I think it would be fine to give half or whole, depending on how much your dog needs. Just consider it a balanced meal in itself. :)

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I would also cut them up, keep frozen until I want to feed~ and then cut into about 1# meals. Depends on the size, but a leg 1/4 can weigh a pound, and a half chicken would be a huge meal. I like to feed 2x's a day, though at about a # a meal.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Nothing wrong with feeding a whole chicken. My dogs are smaller and I used to give them each a half chicken. Yep, got the cleaver out and cut it down the spine.

Only once did I give my female a whole chicken; it was her first birthday. Took her about 15 minutes to eat the whole thing. She didn't get much food the next day, though.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Only once did I give my female a whole chicken; it was her first birthday. Took her about 15 minutes to eat the whole thing. She didn't get much food the next day, though.

ok, this picture is officially one of my favorites now. :laugh:

I love how they grab their chicken pieces and take them somewhere else to eat them, but it's adorable seeing her with the whole chicken!
I bet she had a very very happy birthday. ;)

·
Registered
906 Posts
lol that's a funny picture!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts