German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Christmas topped the list for "weirdest christmas's ever".

Short version:
Christmas Eve - grandma was rushed to the ER because when the care center checked on her she was blue. She appears to be fine, no idea what caused the blueness
Christmas - dad is sick as heck. Parents went to the ER around 3:30 p.m. Found out that my dad is at the beginning of an "epidemic" of a stomach virus that is making its way through jacksonville right now.

Needless to say I had to finish cooking christmas dinner -- which is fine, I always help anyway, so it wasn't that big of a deal for me to finish up. Granted, the gravy was being stubborn and wouldn't thicken for me. So I left it on the stove for my mom to deal with later.
We're working on the dogs staying OUT of the kitchen, because Minna is a butthead and tries to counter surf and steal things. Both dogs understand that "get out" means leave the room immediately, and they both do just that. The problem is that minna won't get it through her head that get out also means STAY OUT (Sobacca is really good about getting out and staying out). So we rigged up a little barrier, until she understands to stay out of the kitchen when told to leave.

Anyway, me and my brother were in the living room playing Wii and we had been doing really good about making sure Minna didn't go near the kitchen. Well anyway, at some point she got in the kitchen and my brother found her with her paws on the stove licking up gravy! :mad: Couldn't believe it, wanted to kill her. But it was my fault for the gravy not being covered (oops).

Like I said, strange christmas this year.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Next year, just whisk in another tablespoon or two of flour into the gravy and keep on stirring. It will thicken eventually. :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Reminds me of a few years ago when my then 1 year old Kelpie snuck out of the room during Xmas lunch and demolished the huge pavlova that was up on the bench. The look on her face when she got busted was priceless. We just laughed !....

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
LOL sorry this happened but gotta love dogs sometimes (still stand by they are so cute so you dont kill them especially during the puppy years)

Also as far as the crazy goes not a fan of flour doesn't thicken like I want it to and leaves that taste of flour. Would recommend taking part of the drippings your using to make the gravy (make sure they are cold or at least room temp) mix in some corn starch then when the rest of its boiling on the stove mix in the roo temp mixture and stir it will thicken nicely. Good for you for stepping up to the plate BTW.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts