German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was curious who works in the animal industry up here?
I will be opening a luxury pet boarding and training facility within the next 2 years,but right now I am not technically in the business of animals yet,unless you consider fostering dogs as a part of this:).

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My plan is to open a doggie daycare/boarding facility eventually. I have to find the perfect spot...I know what I want, so now I just have to find it:)

·
Registered
702 Posts
I worked as a vet tech for 25 yrs..The veterinary/boarding kennel was huge having 4 drs on at all times, open for emerg. and sometimes boarding around 300 dogs and cats at one time. I was appointed kennel manager when needed and also did some grooming and filled in as surgery tech. I put in many hours at times working doubles without sitting..we weren't allowed. Tough job, pathetic pay, and wore me down physically. Bad back, hips, knees, shoulders.. lol .

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I've been working in the animal industry for the last year and a half. I started out working at a kennel, then I got hired as a finished bather at a grooming shop. I got hired as a part time groomer at the same shop in march and I'll be a full time groomer sometime in the fall.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I work with wildlife, not domestic. Currently I'm trapping, radio collaring, tracking, and vaccinating skunks, gray foxes and big brown bats.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I started out as kennel help in 1990, then worked as a vet assistant and assistant groomer (bather/brusher). I also helped out with an Ostrich breeding facility, volunteered at the local shelter, and did veterinary housecalls with a mobile vet. Eventually started grooming full time in 1995. In 1997 I bought the grooming business, and haven't looked back!

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
I work in a doggy daycare.

1. Get kennels. Let's say 5-10 and each kennel with it's separate kennel-run. I would also have two or three big runs where I can exercise the dogs because that is what people want or think their dog gets in a daycare.

The problem with todays daycare are that there is one or two bigger areas and you have to watch 15 dogs that are in the same run. There is no way the dogs get the exercise their owners think they get. Also, when it's hot, and there is no drainage in the kennel run... you don't want to know how bad the overwhelming smell of dog-piss can be.

I like clean runs but 15 dogs in the same kennel run produce a lot of piss and without the drainage, even with you clean the area and the water can't go anywhere, it sits there and stinks. :(

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am in the process of changing careers to the animal industry! I have been in accounting for 25 plus years and I am now interning 1 day a week at a veterinary hospital and working on getting my schooling to become a registered Vet tech!

·
Super Moderator
18,672 Posts
Right now I just help with KPT classes and have free ranging hens that I sell the eggs. I have trained/bred/groomed/instructed (the riders) horses and raised most types of livestock for food (cattle, hogs, rabbits, sheep, broilers, turkeys). I have also cleaned kennels, boarded dogs, did some private training and private lessons.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I am currently a vet tech working in an emergency clinic. Previously I have worked at 2 separate Humane Societies, and also in a grooming salon. I have been approached by someone who is looking for a manger for a daycare/boarding/grooming facility that I would also like to bring training to. We will see.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I do. I was a manager at a boarding facility for almost 3 years and will be returning to the same facility by the end of this month. Currently I'm a receptionist a vets office.

Our boarding facility has 84 kennels varrying from 4x4 to 8x8, five outdoor play areas (large), and two indoor play areas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just got a job 2 weeks ago as an animal caretaker at my local Humane society and so far I love it. Very hard to restrain myself from taking home more cats and dogs though lol. There are already a few favorites I have. I've actually seen quite a few German shepherds end up there the past two weeks as well :(

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I work as a kennel tech at a vet's office. So, I deal with boarders/baths/grooms. I also go up front to help the vet techs and doctors, though. I adore it (most of the time lmao).
Duties: clean floors, do dishes, do laundry, make sure everyone has comfy clean bedding, feed/medicate/give water, walk/play with, scoop poop, aid vet techs, bathe, nail trims, anal gland expression (glamorous, right? xD), ear cleaning, and so on. :)

Before this job I volunteered for a local shelter every weekend and some weekday evenings... And worked in a giant freezer >.>

·
Registered
106 Posts
Right now I am a receptionist part-time at a vet clinic, but I am going to school to eventually specialize as a veterinary surgeon. Only nine years to go!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I am a certified veterinary technician in both a day practice and a night only emergency practice.

However, I am looking at applying for a PD position in the near future. I guess it would be "a dream" to one day work on a K9 unit. My uncle has been a K9 officer in Arizona for 25+ years

1 - 18 of 18 Posts