German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
For me it depends on the type of training. House and life manners? Both. Consistency is key. For structured competition type stuff though I prefer to be my dog's only "handler". It's our thing.
/forum/images/smilies/thumbup.gif

I waste ridiculous amounts of time reminding my husband which words to use for basic house manner behaviors he wants. "Down" does not mean get off the furniture, "Off" does. It's "Down", not "Lie Down". "Hold On" means nothing to the dogs, but "Wait" will make them all stop at a door, or stay in the truck. "That's mine" doesn't work, but "Leave it" sure does. The list goes on.

He has other commitments and has never attended training with any of our dogs, but it would be so much easier for me, and our dogs would be less confused, if he did.

For sport stuff, that's my realm, and everyone is perfectly happy keeping it that way.
My dogs seem to have learned a whole other meaning to words from my husband and seem to contextually understand when he says something it is different than when I say it. Not ideal. But I am impressed with them nonetheless.

The greatest mystery in dog training: how to get husbands to obey....

·
Registered
587 Posts
The man of the house as GSD's respond better to men.........................JUST KIDDING!! :wink2::wink2:

Both, it's a great experience and it helps to have someone else their from the home to help remember all of the instructions and tactics.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The nice thing about having your husband come to class (if you can GET him to go!), even just as an observer, is that many husbands don't take instruction well from their wives. I know it's easy for my hubby to blow me off and I'm sure he's not the only one, even though he readily acknowledges that I know way more about dog training than he does and he tells me when he thinks I've done a good job with our dogs. But does he listen to me? No, he does not. :rofl: He always did listen when we were working with a trainer though. So if you've got a command repeater, for example, you can remind him why the trainer said that's not a good idea. He'll be on the same page with what commands you'll be using and what the criteria are.
^^^Exactly!!!

If I try to "school" my husband even gently it's met with attitude and rebuff more often than not. Ego's get hurt. But if it was what the trainer that we paid good money to learn from says it than it's gospel. He had to hear if from the trainer though...not me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My sister and I attend most of our pup's classes together.

Besides it allows one of of us to watch and criticize. Better that way. We can realize our mistakes. My mom attends classes every once in a while.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
My hubby supports me in all I want to do when it comes to dogs. I asked him once if he would be OK if I wanted to get an Eng. Bulldog. Hubby; if that's what you want, go ahead. Not sure if I had been serious, what he would have said though but still. I am glad he is not into training so there is no conflict about it either. He has his boats and car and I decide about the dog(s). Both are happy and he has always liked the dogs I brought in, foster dogs as well.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
The man of the house as GSD's respond better to men.........................JUST KIDDING!! :wink2::wink2:

Both, it's a great experience and it helps to have someone else their from the home to help remember all of the instructions and tactics.
I don't want to share my toys!:grin2:

My dogs, my rules. If it ain't yours don't touch it.
Even in the fantasy world where my husband would consent to attending I wouldn't want him to. They are not his dogs and if he ever corrected one of them I would correct him!

·
Super Moderator
4,745 Posts
I was lucky as my hubby was the main trainer for my big-boy. I used to take videos of them so that my sweetie could see what the training director saw. Now I have my gal-dog. I still work both dogs but my big-boy still prefers working with my hubs and my gal prefers working with me.
We usually use the same terms and techniques but the both dogs are smart enough to figure out our differences, too.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts