German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just this week alone...

$150 in dog food, and this will only last us for a week give or take
$450 in Interceptor pills for everyone (6 months supply)
$100 in puppy toys and chewies

So JUST THIS WEEK ALONE... $700!!!!! :eek:

:whistle: :whistle:

When it is not one thing is the other, x-rays for someone (2 dogs this month.. $500), vet trip with a litter for health checks ($230 +/- depending on the number of puppies. AND this is giving them their shots ourselves), etc. etc.

So who wants to become a breeder??? :wild: Yeah, think about it twice before you do! ;)

And that is crossing fingers that no emergency c-sessions are needed or any other complications arise during pregnancy. Here in MD, c-sessions cost about $3,000. :eek:

·
Registered
459 Posts
I think I speak for a lot of the people on this forum but the best benefit of YOU being a breeder is FABULOUS PUPPY PICS! :wub:

That is about it for benefits. I admire what you do but I think you and some select others can handle it and I will just enjoy the pictures you provide ;)

·
Registered
15,220 Posts
I do the ivermectin. But yes, here health certs are $20 each (with me doing shots) otherwise $35 each plus $40 to microchip, not including flea/tick meds, dewormers, extra food. More a labor of love. Oh and that doesn't even cover if you use frozen or have semen shipped then you're not only looking at shipping charges, then you get into progesterone testing and with frozen testing for lh surge every 2 days (with dog being boarded for a wk at vets office to make sure that when blood comes back ready she's there to breed). Last time I tried that with a female cost me almost 1k and still didn't get it as the frozen ended up not being viable.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Kudos to you! I had an oops litter many many years ago, no thank you very much! I am glad that there are some of you out there that are doing this other wise there would be no GSD for us to love and enjoy :D

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Besides the normal costs of rearing, maintaining & medical expenses....then add the expenses of chosen venues for the pups/dogs.....OMG.
Just this past weekend the venue fees (show entries) for the pups was in the total range of $370....now add multiple shows through out the months, not including equipment, transportation, food or lodging.......eeeeeek!

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Besides the normal costs of rearing, maintaining & medical expenses....then add the expenses of chosen venues for the pups/dogs.....OMG.
Just this past weekend the venue fees (show entries) for the pups was in the total range of $370....now add multiple shows through out the months, not including equipment, transportation, food or lodging.......eeeeeek!
Tell me about it, just this week alone, we are probably spending about $400 in dog training. :crazy: Then add the gas. :rofl:

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Carolina -
My family (including Echo) is very grateful for what you and Dennis do. Thanks!!
You are very welcome :) Can't wait to see "little" Echo again when he comes out for puppy training. :D We are getting his sister for a few days while her mommy and daddy go on vacation. We could have a little puppy reunion! LOL

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Carolina......very few people actually understand or even comprehend the "costs" of being breeders AND enthusiasts.....personally, I think the AND part is the most expensive!!......who would think that such a small word...could mean & represent so much?LOL!

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Lets see, I know one person who has some really neat litters that only wound up being TWO puppies

One who bred (paid for expensive surgical insemination with frozen semen) only to have the female develop pyometra (I think, or it was some other problem)

Yeah you just put the dogs together and rake in the dough, don't you?

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Who ever said that breeding is cheap or easy?? :D If you make money breeding dogs, you're doing something wrong!

When I was young, I thought I wanted to be a dog breeder. The more I learned about it, the more I realized that I just don't have the temperament for it. Thank God for people who do, and do it ethically and responsibly and for the right reasons. My hat's off to you!

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Another thing is a lot of "backyard breeders" don't come across these costs. They'll just pump out puppies with profit being the main objective and that's that.

They won't spend the money on premium foods when you can get the cheap stuff. They won't spend the money and time on the training. They won't buy intercepter and worry about heart worms and all that. The cute puppies kind of sell themselves.

It really depends on the type of breeder you are.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Many breeders can & do make money in breeding (it's not a horrible thing to do..contrary to belief).....however;...when a breeder ALSO spends the money made (and more) to exhibit and participate in the venues (any venues), invest in future breeding's, general welfare & conditions....then the "cost" of the hobby can & does out weigh the possible financial profit.
It all depends on the particular breeder.....and the choices that they make....
Some can gain a profit and do it ethically......kudos to them!
JMO

1 - 20 of 61 Posts