German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, in light of neighbor issues I was having, I am wondering who here with property posts various warning signs, and what signs, and why.

I've read up on it, and in this state you are better posting both Beware of Dog and No Trespassing signs because that means anyone on your property was properly warned and is assuming the risk that comes with trespassing.

I have two Beware of Dog signs, and one sign that includes Beware of Dog, No Trespassing, and Video Surveillance on Property (in one sign). but I'm thinking to do it properly, I'd need to post No Trespassing/Beware of Dog signs all around my property boundaries. Which seems like a lot, and I kind of hate to do... I'm thinking maybe "No Trespassing without written permission" because I am OK with hikers passing through if I know they are there. Non-hunting and non-motorized use is fine. I have 5 acres of woods mostly, including a fenced in yard for the dogs.

I was also thinking about posting "Working Dog" or "Guard Dog on Duty" signs, but that perhaps too specific as far as legalities go. Some signs I see on Amazon say "Dog will Bite, not responsible for injury or death" that seems super iffy legally, or maybe not?

I want to post the least obnoxious signs possible, while still covering all legal bases. I'm also wondering if it makes any sense to post at the end of the driveway.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Not an expert but, for me...

I looked for a sign without red/aggressive colors, just a plain 'Dogs in the property, please close the door'.
It implies there are dogs ..... and anyone opening the door might meet them.... but if, for instance, someone is calling 911 for some reason or there is some misunderstanding about 'dangerous' dogs... nothing is explicitly showing that.

My dogs are peaceful german shepherds and I'm warning everyone they are there.. in my backyard.
Maybe it is too much, but I'd rather have a good defense against 'some people' willing to find an excuse.

Be discreet, be assertive and do not let anyone tell your dogs are a danger for them because something is signaling that...

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I bought this property about a year ago. There's a sign in the window of the door to the garage that says "Beware of Vicious Dog".

The previous owner had a King Charles spaniel...:D: :rofl:

I've thought of taking it down, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I have always been told the best bet is to post No Trespassing signs. Even a Dog on Premises sign can be iffy.

Reactions: Saco

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK- it looks like "No Trespassing, Property Protected by Video Surveillance" is the way to go. My state has a statute that withholds strict liability if the person is trespassing. This is good to know, as I've read crazy cases where a burglar was bitten while robbing someone's house and won a lawsuit. Really, I'm far more worried about the human element out there bothering my dogs than the other way around!

I fantasized a bit about posting something like "Crazy (female dogs) on Premises" but I won't. Gotta stay true to who I am, even in light of a very non-neighborly neighbor.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
There was a case regarding a dog attack that occurred on the fenced and chained dog's property. A lot of people weighed in from all over the country. It seems that some states only recognize trespassing if the property is posted with No Trespassing signs.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In this state, you are allowed to hunt, fish, hike, etc. on private property unless it is clearly posted per state statute. It's very specific- like the signs need to have your name and contact info on them. Arguably, otherwise they aren't up to snuff. But the state also has a stipulation that a person on private property can not sue the owner for injury if they are on that property. So, this is why property owners are willing to allow snowmobile trails on their land, because they can't be sued if someone crashes and injures themselves.

I love being able to use private land for hiking, etc. However, I do think I'll be properly posting my property as "No Trespassing".

·
Registered
867 Posts
I'd put up only no trespassing signs. Beware of dog signs and the like can provide a huge liability. There are laws governing aggressive dogs and so posting any signs that your dog is dangerous can indicate that you knew you had a dangerous dog and were not taking proper safety measures to keep it from biting anybody.

That said I think a please close the gate dog on premises of along those lines would be fine. It lets people know you have a dog, without indicating its dangerous. That's the main thing is to make sure the wording cannot suggest that the dog is dangerous.

·
Super Moderator
7,709 Posts
^^^^ What Kazel said is true in my state.Dog on premises/no trespassing and Private property no access without owner permission is what signage is encouraged here.

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
I have a German Shepherd sign in the window. Should I remove it? Although I don’t need a sign. My dogs hear every noise and bark. There is no way to miss a German Shepherd bark.

I’m more worried about utility employees. We tried to flag our accounts to contact us before entering the yard but they don’t look. We just had someone out who we called, and he was very upset he could not get into the yard on his own because we barricaded it, knowing he was coming out. We explained he’s very lucky he didn’t come face to face with our dogs and he thanked us.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Can you contact your utility companies about installing remotes? All of our utilities are remote here.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have "Caution electric" signs all over my property as it's completely fenced with electric for the horses, surrounding everything but the driveway. On top of that, I post No Trespassing and No hunting signs on the same fence. If you only post No hunting, hunters can still "technically" pass through to get to where they plan to hunt (like our apple orchard) but with no trespassing, it means just that, do not trespass.
I don't post Beware of dogs because you don't need to beware of my dogs, only me, I'm the one with the rifle. ;)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Maybe this is helpful, maybe not... but when I took my hunters ed class we were told that unless we had express written and signed permission by the property owner only then were we allowed to be on it. And that to consider any property private unless marked otherwise. There does not have to be any signs or fences to be held in regard to the law if caught on it. Really, public property is listed accordingly, why risk entering a parcel that is 98% likely to be privately owned without asking beforehand? Trespassing is trespassing whether you have signs posted or not, and ignorance is no excuse to the law. Also around here you are more likely to be shot by the owner than bit by a dog. I understand the reason for this post and to potentially alleviate legal implications in the event your dog bites someone, but isn’t this person in the wrong to begin with by being on your land?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Maybe this is helpful, maybe not... but when I took my hunters ed class we were told that unless we had express written and signed permission by the property owner only then were we allowed to be on it. And that to consider any property private unless marked otherwise. There does not have to be any signs or fences to be held in regard to the law if caught on it. Really, public property is listed accordingly, why risk entering a parcel that is 98% likely to be privately owned without asking beforehand? Trespassing is trespassing whether you have signs posted or not, and ignorance is no excuse to the law. Also around here you are more likely to be shot by the owner than bit by a dog. I understand the reason for this post and to potentially alleviate legal implications in the event your dog bites someone, but isn’t this person in the wrong to begin with by being on your land?

Agree^^^ It's been many years since I hunted but that was the state or county laws in Virginia back then also...you needed written permission ....I have woods behind me that's a part of my property....see plenty of deer... but I've never posted it because I've never seen or heard a hunter close to me...frankly as far as the dogs go when a GSD goes off behind the fence people generally want to know A) is the fence strong enough to hold them....and B) can they jump the fence ?..we only have the one female GSD and two Aussies but they can still make guard dog music and most people aren't comfortable...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This state is a bit different. Private land is open to hunting, hiking, etc. unless posted. It's nice for a hiker, but for a land owner it can be tricky. Some of it has to do with continuing or existing use where a landowner with a certain amount of acreage gets a huge tax break if they leave the land open for hunting, hiking, etc. A conservation easement is similar. In fact, you can hunt within 300 ft. of a dwelling!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
No signs for me in NJ. Historically it could lend to an admittance that you knew of a dog's aggressive tendencies. This would only come into play if you invited someone in and they got bit. I know in my town dog are exempt from being labeled as vicious if they bite a trespasser. But if you invite, say, your teenager's friend in and your dog bites them the signage could work against you.

The are so loud when someone comes onto the property I dont feel like a sign is needed anyway. Anyone would know they are there.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
It's interesting - my neighbor lives alone and has no dog at all. In the window by her front door, she has a black & red sign that says BEWARE OF DOG.

In the laws of our town, if your dog has bitten somebody, you are required to post BEWARE OF DOG signs around your property and contain your dog at all times. So it does have legal implications.

But I guess some people like my neighbor also feel it's a good deterrent for solicitors and burglars!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts