German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Am I the only GSD owner that has separation anxiety weeks ahead of time before I go on vacation for a week? My husband and I always fly to Cancun for a week every year for the last 17 years. And every year I worry needlessly about my dog! LOL! I am lucky my mother n law stays at my house for the week and watches Thor. I always have a great time on vacation too. I am hoping someone can give me tips to calm down! LOL!

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
267 Posts
We recently left for a weekend out of state. Sitka, and my other two got to hangout with my grandma. I knew they would be good and she could handle them, but I missed them. I didn't worry, just missed them. I'm sure your in law would let you guys know if something was up. I always try to believe "no news, is good news."

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We recently left for a weekend out of state. Sitka, and my other two got to hangout with my grandma. I knew they would be good and she could handle them, but I missed them. I didn't worry, just missed them. I'm sure your in law would let you guys know if something was up. I always try to believe "no news, is good news."
LOL! I know you are right! I am glad I am not alone!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Our boarding kennel has 24 hour staff and I know she's in good hands, but yes, I miss her when I'm gone. I probably miss her more than she misses me; she likes being at daycare and it's plenty of playtime for her when I'm out of town.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vacation?! haha. What's that? :)
LOL! I know it is tempting to not go on vacation because of Thor......but in my opinion the need to be on and in the ocean once a year is really strong! It is funny how anxious I get the closer my vacation gets!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Our boarding kennel has 24 hour staff and I know she's in good hands, but yes, I miss her when I'm gone. I probably miss her more than she misses me; she likes being at daycare and it's plenty of playtime for her when I'm out of town.
That sounds like a great place! She probably has a great time playing with all the other dogs. I am glad my mother n law stays here for the week to take care of him. I am sure you are right, we probably miss them more than they miss us! LOL!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I try my best to have my "grown up" vacations be dog friendly ones. It isn't too hard..if you go on hotels.com and filter for places to allow dogs you can usually find something. Then I have my SUV kitted out to keep them cool and safe in pretty much any weather.

This is all by choice. I think it is fine to leave them in capable hands. I just enjoy having them with me. I have joint custody of my kids, and any kid vacations would be dog free. I only have so many hands lol

·
Registered
518 Posts
I always try to take Wolf when I go on vacation, but that's not always an option and I definitely miss him terribly when I can't. I'm lucky that I have an amazing boarding facility run by a local vets office (that is right next door to the facility). They adore Wolf and spoil him like you wouldn't believe. He gets his own suite with a toddler bed, TV, leather chair and the suite has a webcam so I can check in on him.

Back in August some friends and I went to GenCon and Wolf couldn't come with us. So I boarded him here and would check on him. To start out, that chair was facing into the room with the back to the webcam and rather than sitting in it, Wolf would sit at the door so he could look out the window into the building (as he likes to do.) They must have realized how much he likes looking out the window, because at one point I pulled up the cameras and saw they had positioned the chair so he could lay in it and look out the window (see the photo.) Spoiled brat. The next few days when I would check on him this is what I usually saw.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
Seeing them on camera would make me miss them even more. Some vacations they cannot come along. The first few days I am OK, but they are always on my mind, I just don't tell my family. But after about three days I am ready to go to the nearest shelter and take one out. Being without a dog feels like part of me is missing. I have thought about adopting a tiny dog that I can take along on oversee's trips for that purpose but so far I am able to control it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Seeing them on camera would make me miss them even more. Some vacations they cannot come along. The first few days I am OK, but they are always on my mind, I just don't tell my family. But after about three days I am ready to go to the nearest shelter and take one out. Being without a dog feels like part of me is missing. I have thought about adopting a tiny dog that I can take along on oversee's trips for that purpose but so far I am able to control it.
Yeah, I get that. It eases my mind to know that he is being treated well and I enjoy checking in on him. I definitely feel like a part of me is missing. The worst is if I get back too late to go get him, and I spend the night at home alone...ugh, I hate that.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hard to say, how I would felt on vacation without her.

We are together almost a year. And longest we were separated was from 11pm to 8am. Yep, whole 9 hours. :cry: :cry: :cry: And I missed her every minute of that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I always try to take Wolf when I go on vacation, but that's not always an option and I definitely miss him terribly when I can't. I'm lucky that I have an amazing boarding facility run by a local vets office (that is right next door to the facility). They adore Wolf and spoil him like you wouldn't believe. He gets his own suite with a toddler bed, TV, leather chair and the suite has a webcam so I can check in on him.

Back in August some friends and I went to GenCon and Wolf couldn't come with us. So I boarded him here and would check on him. To start out, that chair was facing into the room with the back to the webcam and rather than sitting in it, Wolf would sit at the door so he could look out the window into the building (as he likes to do.) They must have realized how much he likes looking out the window, because at one point I pulled up the cameras and saw they had positioned the chair so he could lay in it and look out the window (see the photo.) Spoiled brat. The next few days when I would check on him this is what I usually saw.
LOL! I love that picture! I know if I could I would take Thor with me everywhere. It isn't a option to take him to Cancun unfortunately.....! Plus I think he would be happiest at home.....and he loves his grandma. I think it is harder on me than him.... LOL! I am soooooo glad there is technology now days.....so there is face time, texting, etc.! Even in Mexico they have good WiFi at the resorts!

·
Registered
867 Posts
just snapped this pic....Thor and his binkie....he loves his binkie!
Be careful, you may be ruining the reputations of GSDs worldwide as savage aggressive protective wolfdogs! :grin2:

I miss my dog a lot on vacation!
I switch my cellphone's "Home" screen so it's a picture of him.
And I am always going on Facebook to see if the boarding kennel posted any pics of him.
If we go walking on vacation, I think, "Rumo would sure love this!"

(It's all quite sad, but my extended family has lots of small kids AND is a planeflight away, so it would just be stressful to bring him. If it's just our family (not visiting anybody else), he is automatically invited.) :smile2:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Be careful, you may be ruining the reputations of GSDs worldwide as savage aggressive protective wolfdogs! :grin2:

I miss my dog a lot on vacation!
I switch my cellphone's "Home" screen so it's a picture of him.
And I am always going on Facebook to see if the boarding kennel posted any pics of him.
If we go walking on vacation, I think, "Rumo would sure love this!"

(It's all quite sad, but my extended family has lots of small kids AND is a planeflight away, so it would just be stressful to bring him. If it's just our family (not visiting anybody else), he is automatically invited.) :smile2:
LOL! I know it! Big bad guard dog with a binkie! LOL! Yea I know what you mean.....I think about him all the time too while on vacation.....even walking on the beach, scuba diving, on and on! He he....my mother n law texts pics all the time.....my husband just laughs at me. He doesn't get it! LOL!

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
I’m lucky my parents can watch my dogs if and when away. I also have a good friend that I trust she would take great care of the dogs. It’s very hard to leave but once away it’s nice to be away.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Of course we miss our dog! Especially when we're thousands of miles away with an ocean between us. That said, it doesn't infringe on any fun we might be having. We really start thinking about how much we miss him when we're tired, sitting around in a hotel or park, and thinking that the dog should be gamboling about or lying at our feet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts