German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who lets their shepherds on the furniture & on the bed to sleep with them?

Why do you let them?

I never let mine on anything but their dog beds and blankets.
I don't want hair on where I am sitting or sleeping. Plus I think it helps with training. I have to have some rules....LOL

I am just curious to see what you all have to say about this.

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
My dog will sneak up onto the bed with us once we are asleep.
We'll wake up very bunched up because he has spread out all over .... then he gets booted again.

He's not allowed on our furniture, but when we get home from work we sometimes find hair on the couch. Now I pile stuff on it before I leave in the morning!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
i never used to, except when i was feeling sad, luc could come up and sleep with me. but he's such a mild, submissive dog, he always sleeps with me now. (BUT....i let the cats out at night while teagan is crated. if mitch gets up on the corner of the bed b/f luc is in it, i have to pick up mitch b/c luc is scared of him (3 legs, no teeth....ROAR) and won't get up on the bed unless i pick him up. that's my big guy.

teagan is allowed up on the stuffed chair in the window, b/c she loves to look out the window, and i think it's better for her hips to have something soft to sit in while she does. if i want to sit there, she knows she has to move.

sometimes if my bf and i are watching a movie on the bed (tv is in my room), teagan is allowed up w/us, b/c luc is, and it doesn't seem fair to leave her down.

nobody is allowed on the couch.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Well, it has been different with each one. Our first two were allowed everywhere! They were our babies before we had kids.
Our third was not allowed on our bed but the couch was ok.
And with these two pups neither! OK so KC gets on the couch now... I am trying to break her of that but she sees Titan up there and wants to sleep with him. I might loose this battle for the couch. I have a leather couch so it is easy enough to keep clean.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL thats to funny!!!

We use to have a rotty that would do that and we could never catch her in the act only saw the indentation and hair!!

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
If permitted on the bed or furniture, Grimm would decide world dominion and supremecy was his alone as "Supreme Happy Tyrant of the Doggiverse."

·
Registered
299 Posts
I live alone with Freyja. My "fur"niture is her furniture. LOL The chair, the couch, the bed. The reason for this is I need the physical contact with her. I need the love and cuddles. It goes as far as if I'm at my parents or grandparents home, half the time I will sit on the floor with her to cuddle. The only time its not allowed is when I'm eating.

·
Registered
619 Posts
No pups on the furniture or bed....we will occasionally get a cat on the bed, but only if its cool....one cat does sleep with our 10 year old.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
In sure some have seen Sarges pics of him curled up on the end of the loveseat. That love seat is in front of the window. Sarge loves to see out the window so thats kind of his spot. Having said that he can also be found laying on the couch between the wife and I getting his pets in.

He doesnt want to be on the bed all night but he likes to say goodnight so he jumps up and lays between the wife and I and we talk to him and pet him for a few minutes. Then he allows us a few hours sleep before we feel that cold nose in the morning that says....hi there, i have to go out now.

He's a very well behaved dog so I dont see any problem with it from a training standpoint, as for the hair, all my clothes have dog hair most of the time so im used to it by now.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I used to be a "no dogs on the bed" person but they were allowed on the couch. When I moved into a small apartment, somehow it just happened and the dog started sleeping with me! Now, I can't imagine NOT letting her up on the bed! I love the snuggle time. No problems...she gets off when I tell her.
As far as the cats go...they can do whatever they want whenever they want to! They rule the house! Spoiled bastages.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Kisses is allowed to sleep on the bed. She doesn't start any problems, and gets off when I tell her too.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
The standing joke is whether or not the DOGS let us on THEIR bed. (I’ll have to find my picture of the 4 GSDs and two little guys on the bed.) It used to be me, DH, the four GSDs and the two little guys in a king sized bed.

As long as the dog gets off when I tell them I don’t care if they are on the furniture or not. As with playing tug – as long as they let go when I tell them we’ll play.

As for the dog hairs – they are EVERYWHERE … there’s no escape! I LOVE my leather furniture as it cleans up nicely.

·
Registered
619 Posts
oh yeah...the main reason I don't let dogs on the bed...we have a double bed...plus a 90 lb. lab mix...when Jackson is full grown it could be very uncomfortable if we let everyone up there..

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
No furniture and no sleeping in bed.

Believe me this does not go over all that well since both of the cats are on the furniture most of the time - this drives Ara nuts!!!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
No dogs on any furniture in this house! They have their own futon in the bedroom and 4 dog beds downstairs. Rafi was allowed on the furniture in his foster home and slept with his foster dad but I just told him off the first time he got up on the bed when he came here and he's never gotten up on anything again!

I have two reasons: mud and dog hair! I have enough trouble keeping this house clean!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Originally Posted By: BrightelfIf permitted on the bed or furniture, Grimm would decide world dominion and supremecy was his alone as "Supreme Happy Tyrant of the Doggiverse."
I love what you said here. I don't allow my dog on the bed or furniture but she has a big ( I mean really big) double bean bag couch that is stuffed with the best fiber fill available. So she kind of has her own piece of furniture. I spoil her too much.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Well, the furniture’s pretty beat up so I cover it with sheets and a blanket. It makes it pretty easy to strip and wash the covers so I don’t really care if they get up there. Tess isn’t allowed to take toys up there though because she will start chewing on the covers… Love seat is my seat and is by invite only. No dogs on the bed, DH’s only rule, and I don’t think that’s ever likely to change. Cats rule the roost and have no restrictions to speak of. They get shut out of the bedroom at night though.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts