German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Last februari we bought a dog...
We saw the mother of the dog, It was certainly a germanshepherd. Several times (when we were outside with the dog and at a club for dogs) people told us that they were certain it wasn't a german shepherd.

We have some doubt as well now, so who can tell me what it is? See pictures below!

I thank you so much!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Looks like a long coat GSD pup to me...assuming 8 wks in February,
@ 6 mos, the ears ought to be up, as he/she's done teething.
But those ears do look a little large, doesn't mean they won't stand yet, maybe his/her head just ain't grown into them yet.
If late February, no worries about that.

Did the breeder say it was a GSD, does it have papers?

That collar is way too big & can't tell, but sure hope it's connected to a leash, not a stake!

What's he/she weigh? Looks a little lean for 6 mos...Pretty dog!
<span style="color: #3366FF">see this thread for weight char</span>t

I have a coat, they all have langly, goofy stages to grow thru!
<span style="color: #3366FF">Watch him grow here</span>

Enjoy Every Minute, it flies by SO quick!

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Looks like a long coat German Shepherd to me.

Her coloring is beautiful.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Oh my WOW look at the coloring! Long coat GSD. Do you have any pics of the dog standing?

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
Maybe some Terv. mixed in? Beautiful regardless!

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Looks like a long coated gold sable GSD to me. Looks like my friend's dog Maxine looked as a puppy - Max has long lovely fur now.

Ask yourself this about the people who say she certainly is not a german shepherd: Have they had german shepherds?

Are they just saying this because they've never seen a shepherd who looks like yours?

Are they saying this becuase she has a floppy ear? There's lots of good information in the Ears Up section on how to make her ear stand up.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Quote:people told us that they were certain it wasn't a german shepherd.
One thing I can tell you as a German Shepherd owner is that when it comes to Shepherds, suddenly everyone and their cousin are "experts" on the breed, the colors they come in, the coat length, their health issues, and their training. Everyone.

The thing is, out of all of those "experts", I have found that the vast majority don't have the first clue what they are talking about. I have had people tell me everything from the fact that my dog cannot be purebred because she is "too small", to the fact that they "do not come in this color" to the fact that "her hips should be giving out soon, since she's 5 already."

People have no clue what they're talking about, and I am pretty certain that the people who told you that she is not a German Shepherd have no clue, either. She looks like a perfectly gorgeous, long coated German Shepherd Dog to me. Her coloring is beautiful and both her ears should be standing up once she is older.

·
Registered
274 Posts
This is not a German Shepherd...More like a beautiful German Shepherd. =)

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Who knows what it is? ------why this is a gorgeous German Shepherd.

Please tell us this dogs name. I also think the collar is too loose and hate to be a pest - but can you take that stick away afraid of sharp points on that mouth

This dog is so beautiful, I would keep my eyes on him/she? I had a dog just like this and everywhere I went people feel in love with him. Hope you have micro - chipped.

Give him a hug for me, I am a fan

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Beautiful dog. Please post up pictures as he/she matures.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello once again,

Some of you asked for the dogs name, it's Tony and it's a male.

There weren't any papers with it, the collar is connected to a leash.

Here are some new pictures of the dog, which some of you asked for... The first one is him as a puppy.

Who knows what kind of dog this is?
Greetings and have a nice day!

Does anybody know what kind of dog this is?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I vote German Shepherd. Most people you meet on the street are only familiar with the typical black/tan shepherd. Just ignore them.

·
Registered
15,975 Posts
Could be just a gangly youngster at this stage. My eldest looked a bit like that - very thin with a deep chest. I'd say you've got a GSD with some of the Belgian background showing up. (Belgians were, I think, one of the foundation breeds of the GSD - tervs tend to have that body type that your pup is showing). Young dogs can be quite gangly -- just wait a bit.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Long-coat, golden-sable colored German Shepherd!

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
What a beautiful boy!

I would definately agree, he's a long coat, gold sable. And what a fine fellow he is! Looks like you got yourself a keeper there!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I thought maybe GSD-Terv at first but I think it could very well be a purebred longcoat sable GSD.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Thanks for more pics...
I vote he's simply a handsome long coat gsd,
in that goofy gangly teenage stage we all go thru.

Welcome to the board!

Do let us watch him grow.

Whatever he is, Tony's won many fans here already!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the board and I agree with most of the others that Tony looks like a beautiful long coat GSD.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts