German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found something that curbs my little piranha's need to eat me!

We have three cats and I was attempting to play with our youngest with said laser pointer when our puppy went after it like it was a walking steak.

He doesn't bark just races around the house trying to catch the light. After 10 to 15 minutes of hunting he doesn't bite or mouth for at least an hour if not more. It must satisfy some primal need to hunt! He still plays rough but the laser pointer is a great distraction when my poor hands just can't take it anymore.

Just wanted to share this happy accident. :):):)

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
ohhhh...bad idea. GSD's can have OCD issues and laser pointers can cause them to chase shadows causing life time problems.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I cannot stress enough the strong recommendation NOT to use a laser pointer with your dog. While it seems like harmless fun it can result in unwanted behavior where a dog becomes obsessed with trying to "find" the light, even from reflections. Others will weigh in...seriously toss it.

Play find it games with your pup, get him outside, join a class...so many other things you can do.

Do a search of laser pointers on this forum, you will see past threads.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Our 15 week old also loves the laser pointer. And she's also a landshark. I am going to play with her and the pointer and see if she loses the urge to bite after that. We also have 3 cats; it's fun to watch them (the pup and the cats) "fight" over the dot. Thanks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm sorry to inform you, but laser pointers are not good for dogs. There are many threads on this forum that discuss how a dog can become neurotically obsessive about chasing lasers and lights with just even one time of play. I know other members will be able to explain this better than myself.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
And another member here to warn you not to use these things. My puppy used to like chasing the beam from the flashlight, but he was getting a little too crazy about it, so I stopped. This was before I knew how bad the laser light can be. He even started going after the reflections from my sun catchers, but thankfully I stopped in time for him not to form any obsessions over this.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Try a flirt pole instead. Something that the puppy can chase (if you're looking for minimal work on your end) and still catch as a reward. There are many, many, many stories of shepherds (and dogs in general) developing severe OCD issues with a laser pointer. There will always be one or two people with "oh please, it didn't do anything to my dog!" responses, but it is most definitely not something I would risk.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
if you want to fill his "need to hunt" then use a flirt pole. laser pointers are a bad idea plus its a lazy way to play with your pup. you want to be interacting with your pup, not having him play by himself

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Try a flirt pole instead. Something that the puppy can chase (if you're looking for minimal work on your end) and still catch as a reward. There are many, many, many stories of shepherds (and dogs in general) developing severe OCD issues with a laser pointer. There will always be one or two people with "oh please, it didn't do anything to my dog!" responses, but it is most definitely not something I would risk.
I like the idea of a flirt pole, good suggestion! Like you said with this game there is a reward, they can win. So frustrating to chase a light around that can never be caught.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice and input! I will definitely stop and start using the flirt pool.

I suppose I just got excited that something actually stopped him from chewing on me. :(

·
Registered
161 Posts
Laser pointers are definately a bad idea. My brother used one with our dog when he was a puppy. 7 years later and that dog will NOT stop looking for shiney stuff! you pull your phone out and he will go stop what hes doing and look for the light. it gets annoying and bad!

·
Registered
595 Posts
I was going to say... but everyone else said it already.

Our trainer told us to be careful about creating obsessions.

Did anyone mention bad idea yet?

·
Premium Member
11,133 Posts
As has been repeatedly posted...BAD BAD idea! It does cause neurological deficits....seriously!

A local guy I know did this with a pup...at 15 months this dog would stand still, stare at the ground and pounce with both front feet - over and over and over....he ended up starting to have seizures later and had to be put down....I don't know how long he did the laser thing, he had quit after the pouncing behavior started I think....but it was too late...

I hope the second poster who thought this a good idea checks back in....

Lee

1 - 17 of 17 Posts