German Shepherds Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

· Registered
14,349 Posts
"I taught Sinister and Rogue to sit and wait by their food dish until I either say "ok" or snap my fingers to release them so they can eat. "

Another great example of control issues. Why not just give them the food? My dog behaves perfectly and I can take anything away from her at anytime.
I suppose if the dog has self-control issues you have to do that sort of thing. Any dog I ever had was simply 'fed'. No fuss no muss. I am low-key and my dogs must pick up on it because they have all been very easy going after spending a few weeks/months with me. OK, all done patting myself on the back, fire away.
Rogue is food aggressive, I feed them apart and I stand between them but I make them wait so they start eating at the same time and they finish at the same time that way they dont attempt to wander over to each others food dish. I also make sure they start eating at the same time so that they dont think I favor one over the other by letting one eat first. If one finishes before the other he has to sit and wait for his brother to be done eating. If Sinister were to walk past Rogue while he is eating Rogue would go after him. If Rogue were to finish first he would go after Sinister for his food.

· Registered
3,338 Posts
Since I do everything, it's me. Specially after our trip to the beach on saturday. My sister-in-law takes care of them if we go away. If I say "aunt Meghan is coming" my 8 yr old male goes nuts, he gives her a hug by snuggleing his head on her when he does see her.

· Registered
4,325 Posts
I'm Chrono's special person, but he really, really likes my mom. She feeds him anything he wants(just a few days ago he got steak for dinner, everyone else got spaghetti!) and she lets him boss her around. But I think if it came down to it, he would rather be with me because I provide leadership and my mom doesn't. I've also been there with him since the beginning, and my mom only sees him for a few hours a week.

· Read Only
428 Posts
With our older girl, Marti, it's definitely my dh Ken. She's a huge daddy's girl, always has been. Dakota has chosen me as her special person. She still loves Ken and our three daughters that are still at home, but I seem to be her favorite. She follows me everywhere. Jackie is only almost 4 months old, so I don't see that she's attached to anyone in particular yet.

· Registered
19,190 Posts
"I taught Sinister and Rogue to sit and wait by their food dish until I either say "ok" or snap my fingers to release them so they can eat. "

Another great example of control issues. Why not just give them the food? My dog behaves perfectly and I can take anything away from her at anytime.
I suppose if the dog has self-control issues you have to do that sort of thing. Any dog I ever had was simply 'fed'. No fuss no muss. I am low-key and my dogs must pick up on it because they have all been very easy going after spending a few weeks/months with me. OK, all done patting myself on the back, fire away.

its not a matter of control issues. some people train harder than others. I have to have some sort of control simply because with 3 dogs, 2 cats and 2 kids under 3, without some kind of control we would have total chaos. I've had a food aggressive female and if i hadnt bothered to teach her that she had to wait until i said okay before eating, we would have had way too many food arguements between her and my other dogs. We have to have the control to keep the peace. Some people i will agree are crazy strict and dont allow their dogs to be dogs but they also dont humanize them. Some people allow their dogs to get away with murder and are then surprised to see other dogs who walk nicely and obey commands and behave. everyone has a different way of doing things and just because you just put the food down and let them go to town doesnt mean the rest of us do. My dogs work for everything they get. Plain and simple.

· Registered
4,121 Posts
Elsa is an equal-opportunity velcro dog. My husband and I are definitely obsessed over about the same. Which can be a huge pain in the butt because if we're out somewhere together and one of us needs to go off she's a whiny little crybaby!

· Registered
3,393 Posts
Do you have a hand? You only need one to throw a stick. If you have a hand, you are Diabla's favorite person.

· Registered
523 Posts
I'm definetly skylar's special person!
I live with my mom, dad and 3 brothers.
she follows me everywhere, and sits by the door if im in a room without her, no matter who wants to see her, she waits for me :wub: She is my dog, not a "family dog" and i do all the training, her crate is in my room, etc.
So that's the way i wanted it and couldn't be happier!

Our boy, King is definetly my moms dog!!! Part of the reason i decided on a shepherd as opposed to another breed (golden retriever was my other idea) was because of the bond that i saw between him and my mom. It is so sweet, he loves his mommy- however, if she is not home I am his go-to person, and he'll listen to my commands, and stay right with me.
my dad tries to give both of them commands, but he doesn't pay any attention to them, so of course when he gives them commands they don't listen haah, he doesn't listen to us though and thinks our dogs just fell out of the sky trained :eek:

· Super Moderator
Cava, floofy supermodel
20,476 Posts
Seems like some people here have control issues and need a command for everything and/or a command to undo or override the previous command. If Abby sticks her nose in the door I just gently push it out of the way and tell her we will be right back.
What would you do if she didn't allow you to push her out of the way and was insistent about coming through? What if she had no manners at all, and jumped on you and tried to take the bowl of food out of your hands? Would you think that was okay since she's just the family dog, or would you teach her more appropriate behavior?

Invariably we find her asleep near the door when we return home, waiting for a belly rub.
That's great. But what would you do if you came home and found that she'd shredded your couch, or ate a hole in the wall, or ripped up the carpet? Would you continue to allow her to do that or would you find a way to control her and prevent her from doing it again?

Not all dogs have the same personality, and as such, they require different kinds and amounts of training.

· Registered
6,233 Posts
Seems like some people here have control issues and need a command for everything and/or a command to undo or override the previous command. If Abby sticks her nose in the door I just gently push it out of the way and tell her we will be right back.
IMO it's more of a safety issue... If you have a dog that runs out the door every time you try to leave, that can be a safety issue as the dog could get in trouble, run the street, etc... Personally I don't like to push my dog so instead I give her a cue she knows "back" which works just as quickly as a push, so what's the difference? :confused:

Exercises like teaching a dog to wait before being released to eat or before going through a door can help to teach a dog self control in the first place, and to reinforce it once the dog has learned it. Training that sort of self control is very useful in many different situations and for many different activities, not to mention for the dog's safety.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.