German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I’m new to the forum and I was just looking to see who everyone’s favorite breeder is and why they chose them. Here’s a little more about me:

I recently had to start leaving my dog at home who would mountain bike/run/hike with me and my family due to her slowing down (she’s 11 yrs old and can no longer keep up unfortunately). So I’m looking for a new active member of the family. I am very experienced with dogs because I grew up with working line and rescue border collies and I used to work at a dog boarding center, with a lot of untrained dogs. I have also rehabilitated a few aggressive dogs. GSDs really stood out to me because they are very smart, protective, athletic, and one of the most loyal breeds. I am looking for a dog who can run/hike about 3 miles everyday (if not, then every other day), come mountain biking with me, and do a variety of other dog sports with proper training. My 12 year old is actually the one who wants to do competitive dog sports. She has grown up with animals and knows how to be respectful of them.

My daughter and husband actually built an agility course in our backyard last weekend. She wants to do dock diving, herding, tracking, agility, fly ball, etc. I would be involved of course too lol ? I almost decided to try out a Belgian Malinois, but I’m just afraid I won’t give the dog what it needs (exercise, a job, etc.) and my daughter will be going to college closer than I really think and won’t be able to help out as much as she is now, so I think a GSD is good for now.

We have 5 acres with a pond so the dog will have plenty of space to run around . Right now I have a Great Dane, a border collie, and two dachshunds (who are a pain in the you know what lol) and 3 cats. If anyone has any good working line breeders that you trust, do you mind giving me a website or something like that to check them out. Please no show lines!

I would usually go to an animal rescue, but we really want a sport dog and a lot of the shelters just didn’t adopt out to us because of things like the fence being too short, we have cats, we have kids under 14, things like that.

Sorry for such a long post, and thanks in advance! Oh, another question: do I have to post a certain number of times to PM somebody?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to be clear, I didn’t mean to imply that a working line GSD is easy compared to a Malinois. I just meant that the WL GSD is a little less 24/7 energy (my friends have mals, and they really never stop running lol!)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Alexis of Feuergarten has a litter on the ground right now and has a male puppy available. I have a half sibling out of the dam from a previous litter and she is everything I could have wanted in a dog. She’s been able to handle every sport I’ve thrown at her, she’s completely stable, she has an excellent off switch and I can take her anywhere. I was lucky enough to get to train with Alexis and Carma (the dam of the litter) for a few years and I can say Carma is truly awesome. Alexis really strives for sound temperament and health, as well as the ability to do anything the future owners may want to pursue, and she’s really there for her puppy buyers. There are dogs from the first two litters doing IPO, other bite sports, herding, nosework, agility... You can find her on Facebook (Feuergarten German Shepherds) or try messaging her in this board (GatorDog)

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
For the first time I have gone back to the sane breeder because I loved the first dog I got from her so much. I like that she has bred the bitch line continuously, has worked trained and titled all of her breeding bitches, so she really understands what she has and what will compliment them.

Zu Treuenhanden is the Kennel name. I met her on this board 10 years ago and kept in touch. My pup from her is now nearly 7 months and exactly what I was looking for.

I believe she has a male still available that she has started from her last litter.

Here is a pic of the pup I got from her. You can message her on this board lhczth on this board.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
I would not rule out showlines they are more then capable of doing the activities you listed above.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
All New England and Northeast (so many good breeder)

Vom Evolution in PA has a litter right now. Repeat. I loved what I saw of the first litter.
https://www.facebook.com/Vom-Evolution-Kennels-1681439265411586/

Sitz von der hose / Olgameister in Rochester NY is where I got my boy from. Love their breedings
https://www.facebook.com/Sitz-von-der-Hose-and-Olgameister-German-Shepherd-Dogs-135704313797737/

Warkonhaus in State Collegee PA is where I currently train so I know all of her dogs. My next puppy is in the works from here.
https://www.facebook.com/warkonhaus/

von IBSO in Millerstown PA has nice dogs. They don't breed often. I train here as well so have seen a variety of what they produce. All of them are stable with great temperaments.
https://www.facebook.com/vonibsok9/

Hollow Hills in Clarks Summit has very nice show lines. Stable, active dogs.
https://www.facebook.com/HollowHillsGSD/

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Zu Treuenhanden is the Kennel name. I met her on this board 10 years ago and kept in touch. My pup from her is now nearly 7 months and exactly what I was looking for.

We actually met on this board probably close to 15 years ago and in person 13 years ago. :)

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts

We actually met on this board probably close to 15 years ago and in person 13 years ago. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Why you aging us Lisa??? LOL.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
In which general area of the country are you located?

I’m in the upper Midwest and have a show line dog from a breeder I wouldn’t hesitate to go to again. My dog is titled in Nosework because that’s what we both love and she has tried pretty much everything I’ve ever asked her to. I don’t share publicly where she is from or who I worked with but I am very happy with her.

However, I don’t think you could go wrong with the other suggestions here. I’m not familiar with them all but wouldn’t hesitate to trust Lisa, Alexis, or the quality of Jax’s recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Watery Tart: I am in the southeast but I’m open to getting a puppy from across the country (or even an import) as long as it’s the right breeder. I think you mentioned that you have a showline(?) so I am interested in how many sports you compete in besides nose work. I feel guilty that I misjudged showlines, I guess that I need to have a more open mind?.

gsdar: thank you for the help. Btw, your fur baby is absolutely gorgeous!?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Watery Tart: I am in the southeast but I’m open to getting a puppy from across the country (or even an import) as long as it’s the right breeder. I think you mentioned that you have a showline(?) so I am interested in how many sports you compete in besides nose work. I feel guilty that I misjudged showlines, I guess that I need to have a more open mind.

gsdar: thank you for the help. Btw, your fur baby is absolutely gorgeous!

We only compete in Nosework but we’ve done classes in obedience and tracking and conformation (she isn’t a show quality dog but I was trying to learn handling). She has a BN and I might try to go back for a CD. I haven’t decided yet if I’ll try for a TD but I think it could be an option. She’s been evaluated for herding instinct but that’s more than I have time for right now. I think the only thing she couldn’t do on some level would be bitework, she’s at least shown up for pretty much everything else I’ve tried with her.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Something I feel is important, regardless of which breeder or which line you go with, is to go out and see dogs. Find a club and see if you can observe training. Talk to owners. Find out what their experience with their breeder has been like. If you are really interested in any sports, find a breeder who works their dogs and finds value in the proper balance of drives, as well as the value of a good off switch. Find someone who proves their dogs’ ability to work, even if it’s in a venue you are not interested in. Find soneone who doesn’t stop at beginner level titles with their dogs. Find someone who values their dogs’ temperament off the training field as much as they value what the dogs show while working. And find someone who values longevity and health in the lines they breed.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Something I feel is important, regardless of which breeder or which line you go with, is to go out and see dogs. Find a club and see if you can observe training. Talk to owners. Find out what their experience with their breeder has been like. If you are really interested in any sports, find a breeder who works their dogs and finds value in the proper balance of drives, as well as the value of a good off switch. Find someone who proves their dogs’ ability to work, even if it’s in a venue you are not interested in. Find soneone who doesn’t stop at beginner level titles with their dogs. Find someone who values their dogs’ temperament off the training field as much as they value what the dogs show while working. And find someone who values longevity and health in the lines they breed.

This bears repeating. It’s so valuable. And don’t rush, either! Watch dogs for a period of months. I got lucky in that my observation after the fact just confirmed my breeder choice but I also picked up some good information that might be considered next time. I now know who I absolutely would not talk to, and that’s probably worth even more!

In the southeast if you are open to show lines, Karizma is worth checking out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Alexis of Feuergarten has a litter on the ground right now and has a male puppy available. I have a half sibling out of the dam from a previous litter and she is everything I could have wanted in a dog. She’s been able to handle every sport I’ve thrown at her, she’s completely stable, she has an excellent off switch and I can take her anywhere. I was lucky enough to get to train with Alexis and Carma (the dam of the litter) for a few years and I can say Carma is truly awesome. Alexis really strives for sound temperament and health, as well as the ability to do anything the future owners may want to pursue, and she’s really there for her puppy buyers. There are dogs from the first two litters doing IPO, other bite sports, herding, nosework, agility... You can find her on Facebook (Feuergarten German Shepherds) or try messaging her in this board (GatorDog)
My wife and I can't wait to meet our new pup from Alexis! We have followed Carma for awhile now and once we seen she was bred to another excellent Sire in Cidman vom wolfsdreieck we just had to call her. She answers all of our questions big or small daily and had been such a pleasure to work with. I wouldn't hesitate as these pups will go quick. They were born 7/7.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
My wife and I can't wait to meet our new pup from Alexis! We have followed Carma for awhile now and once we seen she was bred to another excellent Sire in Cidman vom wolfsdreieck we just had to call her. She answers all of our questions big or small daily and had been such a pleasure to work with. I wouldn't hesitate as these pups will go quick. They were born 7/7.
Alexis is awesome. Carma is awesome. Carma’s puppies are awesome. You will not be disappointed! My girl is 3 now and there isn’t a day that goes by that I am not reminded of how lucky I am to have her.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts