German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I was really hoping that you were going to define working dog as a working dog. One that could do SAR, LE, Military,therapy, PP, and or sport. There will be varying degrees of drive in one litter that may or should be able to fill multiple roles. you could easily have a litter of 8 pups where any of these roles could be an option. One or two may just go to pet homes from same litter. The key is health, balanced drives, and temperament. A good breeder will breed for balance not extremes or sport titles.
Feel free to elaborate on any. I was asked, and personally, I have no use for a military dog of le dog but if you have opinions, let them be know. My Initial idea was to encompass all but I know that is a wide range. Would love to hear all opinions. All dogs from sports kennels are not sports prospects. All dogs from militRy kennels are not prospects. Etc. etc. I’ve heard stories of sports dogs being scared of a stop sign. Completely unacceptable in my opinion. Sports are meant to be a breed test imo. If your sports dogs are scared of everyday obj, welll........

Idc if they can heel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
370 Posts
She was one of the black ones right? She seemed like a very serious pup who truly loved to "work". Would love to see her now!
Yep. She is black. Perfect relationship with her handler. She was recently bred to a Wildhaus SAR dog. Great looking pups. I can't wait to see what they do. It's been amazing to be around this wonderful example of working line breeding.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Amira was the one that really liked her nose I think. I remember watching the videos of them as pups. And I'm certain it was her that was always wandering after her nose. I really wish I could see what this litter turns out like.

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
Wildhaus website has the progress of the individual litters. They do have a fb group, but it is private and only accessible to the WH pup owners/breeders. I really loved this litter, they are all dispersing to new homes this weekend. I also look forward to how they all progress.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The question about what defines good temperament has to be qualified as “good for what?” Ideally a GSD should be good with children. Ideally they should be socially “normal” and have discernment as to what is a threat and what isn’t. Handler aggression can be caused by genetics and learned and we want dogs with handler hardness and hardness to the helper. The problem is when the breed is bred to be an ideal pet and working dog. Sometimes you end up losing valuable working traits when breeders also strive to breed very social, stable dogs. Nothing wrong with that but there is a place for dogs that are not good pets and too much breeding for Rin Tin Tin dilutes the gene pool. It is happening in all the protection breeds post 911. There needs to be some extreme dogs in the gene pool to keep the breed viable as a working dog. Liability and social perception are factors. If people breed away too much from what made the breed great, such as an overemphasis on sport traits, is what leads to dilution of the breed. The trend is to breed more and more prey based dogs that are very social rather than aloof. It is happening in some of the best KNPV Mal crosses as well along with all the protection sports being diluted. It is fine to prefer a social, high prey dog but too much emphasis on selecting for those traits will and have led to a loss of valuable genetics.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I don’t think it’s as “needle in a haystack” as some people want to pretend it is. In one litter alone, I have produced a police K9, an IGP titled dog, and a dog living with 3 children in the home. It’s more so having an HONEST opinion about the dogs being bred, and not kennel blindness or resentment. Breed to do better. If you already think you’re the best, then you’re already doing it wrong.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Yeah, I really don't know much about the topic, but last time I looked there was only 1 standard for all GSDs!

Of course there will be outliers, but really, how can a single standard accommodate a 3 way split LOL!

Character

The German Shepherd Dog must be well-balanced (with strong nerves) in terms of character, self-assured, absolutely natural and (except for a stimulated situation) good-natured as well as attentive and willing to please. He must possess instinctive behaviour, resilience and self-assurance in order to be suitable as a companion, guard, protection, service and herding dog.
I don't see an either or an or in that last statement!

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
A good breeder will breed for balance not extremes or sport titles.
This here is right on the money!!!

It's the GSD standard. It's required in the very definition of the breed. What amazes me, and trust me this whole debate is somewhat new for me, as I have always preferred just working with the dog's and leaving these matters to philosophers, but there is a standard. The very definition of what a GSD should be!

How that is debatable is a mystery! You either breed to that standard, or you don't much care about the breed!

But, getting back to the original question of "Who is the best breeder"?

That one, friends, is not possible to answer! But if I were to guess, it's someone most all of us have never heard about!

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
The biggest thing I see wrong with people in the German Shepherd world is this. People want a dog that looks powerful when doing bitework. But they don't want a dog with true aggression. They want the training to give the illusion of power, aggression, civil. But they don't want a dog that is truly powerful, with offensive aggression and real civil. Smoke and mirrors.
the best dogs in my opinion "at least in my small training world" would be sportwaffen dogs. The dogs are the real deal yet very stable and safe.
That being said. I am sure there are many others out there, ON HERE that breed dogs that are also the real deal yet stable/balanced. I just haven't been exposed to those breeders in real life.
I take that back. I have been exposed to a few wildhaus dogs. Very nice dogs. Connall is a steward of the breed. Can't wait to see what his daughter brings.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Wow, thanks for the shout out! I love all my dogs, and would personally work every single one of them. That being said they aren't for everyone and there is things that I like and dislike about each litter. Things to improve on. I think it's going to be a few generations before I get the "perfect" dogs. We all have a different idea of what that is. For me it's about balanced drives, health and bullet proof nerve. I try to not use the "flavor of the month" stud as I think in a couple generations, what's our gene pool going to look like? I don't want my dogs to be kennel dogs, but active members of the family. My childhood GSD was exactly that. Great with all of us kids, watched over our livestock, went on family trips with us, horseback rides with my mom and sister and so on. She did it all. That set my view of what a GSD should be. My favorite things about Kimber, are on a competition field, people love her. She hasn't been on a help yet who hasn't commented about her. I work with multiple LE agencies every week, and I've gotten many offers from them to make her street dog. Yet in the home, with my client dogs, she is a pet. She just is content doing what I'm doing. She's my heart dog for sure. Her progeny, is showing to be the same. Sixx, who I'm possibly doing a litter with this fall, is just like Kimber. Her owner works LE seminars and training and various swat teams have tried to buy her. Yet when at home, his young daughter play dress up with the dog, paints her nails and so on. That is what I love about this breed and in my opinion what makes them unique over the other popular working breeds.

The Wildhaus, Amira litter looks amazing! I wanted one so bad!!!!! I just don't have space right now :(

I also like what @GatorDog is doing with her program. I've been enjoying watching the progress.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts