German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since one of the topics in another thread is going WAY off the beaten path.

Here's a place to answer the question above?

Who is afraid of their own dog (even occasionally) and why?

Do you stick your face in your dogs face? Are you afraid it will bite you?

Do you let kids crawl all over your dog(mostly for posters with kids)?

Do you think YOUR dog would ever bite you? special circumstances? or just turn on you??

Fire away:) and play nice

·
Registered
19,157 Posts

Do you think YOUR dog would ever bite you? special circumstances? or just turn on you??

i'm not afraid of my own dogs. When we get a new dog, i keep a close eye on them but i'm not afraid of them. they earn the respect and trust and we're good. Yes, i get in my dogs faces because they need to know it does and will happen and if they insist on doing it to me, i'll do it to them. I'm not afraid they'll bite. I'm afraid they'll have gotten into the cat box and then try to kiss me but beyond that no fear. Yes, my kids (mainly my daughter) has been known to climb on the dogs. However since Zena is no longer living with us for her health (she's with my inlaws in the nice and dry climate of colorado) my daughter doesnt do it very often anymore. No i dont think my dogs would ever bite me. I think they only reason they would bite me would be because they're sick or hurt but i doubt it even then. They get their paw stepped on and they would rather climb into my lab for cuddles kinda like my kids do when they get hurt. I think if i was afraid of my dogs, i wouldnt have them. Plain and simple. that would be asking for trouble.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
im not even slightly afraid of Cody :)

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
I don't trust two of my dogs around small kids. They will harm them, so I won't put the kids in harms way...dogs are crated when kids come around. Teenagers are safe, its the toddler thru 10 that are a "threat" to my nervy dogs. We have two next door neighbor girls that scream and my females want at them. I wish it weren't so...but how do you desensitize these dog to kids? Not many parents will comply with that.
I think Onyx would bite me if I am trimming her nails, taking out stiches(she has given me signals) so I muzzle her. I have no fear of her when I am just sitting around or whatever and am not afraid any other time, but will use a muzzle no problem. Kacie and Karlo will never bite, and I am not afraid of any of my dogs. Nor will the just turn on me.
The subject of "Rage" syndrome is where this idea is coming from? Rage syndrome just doesn't pop up, the dog shows signs of imbalance previous and it never happens out of the blue. Owners may not see those signs however and think the dog is just turning on them for no reason.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I'm not afraid of my dogs...I can't image owning a dog I was afraid of. I can't fathom any circumstance in which my dog would turn on me. I have to say I wouldn't own a dog I couldn't trust.

I had 3 little foster boys here for a couple of months and they crawled all over the dogs. I never worried about them.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I don't trust two of my dogs around small kids. They will harm them, so I won't put the kids in harms way...dogs are crated when kids come around. Teenagers are safe, its the toddler thru 10 that are a "threat" to my nervy dogs.
I think Onyx would bite me if I am trimming her nails, taking out stiches(she has given me signals) so I muzzle her. I have no fear of her when I am just sitting around or whatever and am not afraid any other time, but will use a muzzle no problem. Kacie and Karlo will never bite, and I am not afraid of any of my dogs. Nor will the just turn on me.
The subject of "Rage" syndrome is where this idea is coming from? Range syndrome just doesn't pop up, the dog shows signs of imbalance previous and it never happens out of the blue. Owners may not see those signs however and think the dog is just turning on them for no reason.

exactly. my understanding is rage syndrome is a seizure affecting the emotion part of the brain kinda like a split personality. Without treatment, it will naturally escalate like most diseases can.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have never been 'afraid' of any of my dogs, I've never had a reason to:)

Masi isn't much of a 'kid' dog, she has her few kiddy friends and thats it,,so I don't let strange kids nor stranger adults get physical with her.

My aussie Jynx, well sure if you blow in her face, she's gonna give you a face nip, but it's not to be 'nasty',,,Masi is a nose biter, and again, it's a 'play' thing..

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
This goes for all my dogs - no I am not afraid of any of them, yes I stick my face in theirs, no I am not afraid any of them will bite me.

My son is too young to even crawl yet, he would be 100% safe with my girls who have been around babies in the household. I believe he would be fine crawling on Micah but we'll see how things go. Micah was 2 when I adopted him and an outdoor kennel confined dog. Grew up with kids but didn't interact with them much since he lived outside. He's fine with our son in the household, but we'll reaccess when he becomes mobile. By reaccess I mean we'll see if he's ok with Connor crawling on him. If not he'll hang on the other side of the baby gates until he's more comfortable with a mobile baby.

He will not be allowed to crawl on Dante. Puppies, especially Malinois puppies, and babies just don't mix. :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
to prove my point.... I could NEVER have a dog i didnt trust.

If i didnt trust my dogs 100%... none of this would have ever happened. As far as i'm concerned, i have some of the best dogs ever.

·
Registered
819 Posts
to prove my point.... I could NEVER have a dog i didnt trust.

If i didnt trust my dogs 100%... none of this would have ever happened. As far as i'm concerned, i have some of the best dogs ever.
Oh my!! What wonderful pictures!!!! :wub:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Kzoppa omg I see Mario in the NES there.

On another note very awesome pictures you have there with the dogs and kids.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Kzoppa omg I see Mario in the NES there.

On another note very awesome pictures you have there with the dogs and kids.

yeah my hubby insisted on buying the yobo so he could play mario. i'll wake up to mario music every now and then haha. totally awesome. I think i'll make a thread with just all my pictures of the kids with the dogs as they've grown.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Since one of the topics in another thread

I am not afraid of my dogs. I think that if anyone is afraid of their dog they need to get help for them. I AM afraid of what my dog might do if provoked by someone he's not comfortable with, but I myself am not afraid of them.

I don't usually stick my face in my dogs face because I am not a big fan of dog drool. :blush:. I wouldn't think my dog would bite me though, if I did.

I don't let my son crawl on the dogs. I don't like the idea of him crawling on someone else's dog I don't trust which he would probably do if I let him know it was OK to do at home. Also, I am afraid he will get scratched by their big old claws and need to get stitches. Or an eye injury. Both of what have happened here between him and I, (not from the dogs) and I don't want to ever go through that again if at all possible. So I don't let him get too close when the dogs are roughing around, or I don't allow him to be ground level with the dogs front side when they are laying down.

If my dogs ever bite me or turn on me then they can't live here (or if they bite or turn on anyone). As long as there was nothing out-of-the ordinary happening and they bit unprovoked.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Who is afraid of their own dog (even occasionally) and why? I am not afraid of any of my dogs. I am aware some people are afraid of the Beast- he is big, dark and full of energy...but they don't know him. Even though I am not afraid I am aware- these are animals and though I train them I recognize nothing in life is 100% or perfect.

Do you stick your face in your dogs face? Are you afraid it will bite you? I do stick my face in theirs if I am kissing them- but generally I avoid it- I am afraid they might lick me and THAT I don't like (ick, dog germs :) ). Beast is not really that fond of having your fac in his and he tells you when he has had enough- since we know and respect his body language I am not afraid we will get hurt (he is more likely to roll over on his back and give you the belly than bite)

Do you let kids crawl all over your dog(mostly for posters with kids)? Absolutely not! I don't want kids crawling all over me do you? That's simply rude and I expect more out of my children.

Do you think YOUR dog would ever bite you? special circumstances? or just turn on you?? Old Bitch is starting to lose her site- I could easily see her getting a finger instead of a treat I was holding. Crazy White would rather die than bite ANYTHING...and Beast well I suppose anything is possible (see answer to question one) but I don't think he would...

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I'm not afraid of him. After watching him have the zoomies, pick up a roll of paper towel, throw it in the air, and hit himself in the head with it, he's far too silly to be afraid of.

Although sometimes he's scared the crap out of me when I've come around a corner at night and he's just standing there really still staring at me. But then I go 'boop' him on the nose and he's all silly again.

There's a lot of reasons I don't stick my face in my dog's face(concussion, licking, sudden barking). I'm not afraid he will bite me, I'm just aware that he could and I keep my face away from him. If I was afraid of him biting me, I'd stay away from him completely. But accidents happen, and I want to protect my face.

No, because he does not like it when anyone but me lays on him. He grumbles, gets up, and leaves. He very obviously dislikes it, so I wouldn't let a kid do that to him. I'm mostly concerned about him stepping on children or pushing them over. One time he stepped on my foot and started to shake off, and he ripped up my foot with his nails.

I think he would only bite me because of some medical or genetic problem, it would be completely out of his personality and temperament to bite anyone, even a stranger breaking into the house. I often get the remark that he's too friendly.

I've heard of some dogs getting grumpy when they get older and being more likely to snap, so I'm always watching for signs of that. He has hip displaysia and pannus, so when he's older he might be in pain and have poor eyesight which might make him bite if he's startled and hurt(like someone tripping over him). He's had people trip over him before(like 250 pound people) and he never bit, but he might be different in his senior years.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts

I am not afraid of my dog in the least. Or any other dog I've met, for that matter.

I stick my face and hands in Frag's face all the time, in his mouth, ears, mess with his nose, etc. I also give him kisses, hugs, snuggle him, push him, stand over him, brush his teeth, go into his crate with him, take bones, food, toys from his mouth, etc. all the time.

He's not allowed to interact with kids much though, because he wasn't raised with them and will lick them to death/knock them over and then roll on them. I know he wouldn't hurt them out of fear/aggression, but he would do it accidentally. He's only allowed to meet them when I'm force feeding him treats and when it's in our house and I can call him off.

That said, I still don't see the need to sit/lay near him for no reason. That is paranoia. I don't want him giving me any more bumps on the head, bloody nose/lips, scratching my face, ripping my shirts, or hitting me with his teeth, because he's been known to do all of that and it's not pleasant. He never wants to just sit near/on me or lay near/on me, so what's the point? Why not be away from him where I don't hurt? I trust him 100%, but he can't control the things like that. He couldn't control rage syndrome if it popped up either.

Frag does have a fear issue with strangers in certain situations, but I know he'd never bite me in them because I've put him in the same situation hundreds of times without issue. So, I don't trust him not to bite a stranger if they over-step their boundaries, but I do trust him never to bite me or my family.

The subject of "Rage" syndrome is where this idea is coming from? Rage syndrome just doesn't pop up, the dog shows signs of imbalance previous and it never happens out of the blue. Owners may not see those signs however and think the dog is just turning on them for no reason.
All of the cases of Rage Syndrome (2 or 3) that I've heard of DO just pop up. The dogs goes from being perfectly behaved and healthy one day to jumping off the couch, going into a standing seizure, and following the owner around the house trying to attack them. I'm sure in some cases there may be small warning signs that something is not up to par with your dog, but who would automatically assume that they had anything to do with Rage Syndrome? Not I. I can imagine some forms of aggression or seizures would be signs, but those can all happen on their own accord and I for one would not assume it was rage syndrome. I'd assume my dog had a fear issue, medical issue unrelated, or resource guarding issue, etc.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I am in no way afraid of either of my dogs. I can get in their face, give them kisses, I practically lay on Dallas and rub her belly - she loves it! Willow is not much of a snuggler but she doesn't have a problem if I want to give her some loves every once in a while.
That said, I live alone and they don't get much interaction with kids. Dallas is a little standoffish with most kids. Dallas has been around my nieces and nephews a few times a year since she was a pup but not enough that she is completely comfortable so I watch her closely when the family gets together. Willow is still young and she watches kids with interest but is not quite sure of them either. I will know more when we make the trips home in Nov and Dec.
The funniest thing about Dallas is that most people are intimidated by the way she looks. She is a mutt, most likely Aus. Cattle Dog/Husky but I get all the time that she looks like a Wolf or Coyote. She is the most affectionate, cuddlebug of a dog and will do anything just to get you to rub her belly or let her give you kisses!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Who is afraid of their own dog (even occasionally) and why? I am not afraid of Shenzi.

Do you stick your face in your dogs face? Are you afraid it will bite you? I stick everything in her face. It is important that she knows that I need to check her gums, teeth, eyes, ears, etc. At any time. I learned this when my doberman was having a heart attack and wouldnt let me check his vitals as we raced to the clinic.

Do you let kids crawl all over your dog(mostly for posters with kids)? The kids in my neighborhood love to give shenzi treats, and give her commands. But other than neck rubbing, head scratching and 'leans' it doesnt go any further. Shenzi LOVES kids, and I wouldnt doubt her for an instant, but I dont trust the kids that much TBH.

Do you think YOUR dog would ever bite you? special circumstances? or just turn on you?? Shenzi and me have gotten into our fights and she's given me bruises. If she was going to turn on me I wouldnt have much of a face left-I was giving her a bath yesterday in the shower and was trying to get her to back up. Must have been a little rough inadvertantly because she yelped and quickly turned her head around-and bopped me in the face with her nose :wub:( I should add that she's in the middle of a pyroderma flare up and her stomache is all scabs...hopefully new food stops this!) The point is that if she was going to seriously hurt me she has had many, many chances. She has a VERY soft mouth. Which may not mean much, but I believe in my dog and our bond.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have raised my dogs since they were puppies. I know them inside and out and I'm pretty dog savvy. It's not like I "think" they won't bite me. I can read them. One is a chow mix and the other is shep/rottie mix. I rescued both of them at nine weeks three years apart. And it's not like they aren't dominant, challenging breeds, either. My chow mix is DEATHLY afraid of having his nails trims because of a few bad experiences with techs. Even though it takes three people to hold him down, he has never showed his teeth or growled. They don't need to muzzle him. And, trust me, he is panic-stricken!!!

They are five and eight and have NEVER shown any dominance or aggression towards me. Ever. Of course, I practiced NILIF since I had them. I was more obnoxious with them as puppies than any child could be. They are used to having their paws touched, their rear ends touched, their ears touched. I pet them when they are sleeping. Neither are resource guarders because I never allowed them to be or put them in situations where they felt they had to be. They don't guard toys or food. You can stick your hand in their food dish with no fear (not that I would recommend that to anyone). They have no redirected aggression. They don't even snap when they are startled. They are social with dogs, cats, kids, people.

I can stick my face in theirs at any time with no fear. I kiss and love on them ALL. THE. TIME. They trust me and I've earned it.

I was bitten by a dog when I was five. I had two feet of gauze stuffed in my leg and over thirty stitches. On a five year old, that's a lot! I couldn't walk for months without my stitches breaking open. I still have the scars. It was a neighbor's dog. I grew up with dogs my whole life and was never bit by any of my own dogs (shepherds, labs mixes, hounds, huskies). But I was playing at the neighbors house outside in the late 1970's. It was an abused dog who was tied to a dog house and was eating at the time. (How many things are wrong with that scenario? LOL)

So you would think I would be less trusting. But, no. I'm leery of "other people's dogs" not my own. I don't trust how other people raise their dogs. Period. I've discovered that a whole heck of a lot of people don't know what the **** they are doing.

I also have to say that they both have fabulous temperaments. If they didn't, even with good/consistent training, things might be different. Since they are both rescues, I don't know their background. So in that regard, I am very lucky...and blessed.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Nope not afraid at all. I stick my face in his, I just know when not to do it :D After all he is still a puppy with a bit of a wild side from time to time.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts