German Shepherds Forum banner

Who here lives in an apartment?

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  arycrest 
#1 ·
Is there anybody here who lives in an apartment with their GSD? How does your dog like it?

I live in a spacey apartment with a backyard large enough for the GSD to walk around and do his "business" as well as baths and brushing. I want to adopt a particular GSD, but the owner voiced his concerns about the dog being used to a large backyard, which I completely understand.

However, I told him that I can be with the dog all day and give him the proper exercise and mental stimulation that the 8 m/o puppy needs, but he wasn't entirely convinced.

I am by no means experienced, but I've had the pleasure of interacting/babysitting well-behaved GSDs and not-so-well-behaved GSDs, and I've done my fair share of research as well. I've read that German Shepherds can adapt to apartments, but this pup comes from a working line, so I'm not entirely sure.

All answers are greatly appreciated =)

#3 ·
I used to live in an apartment and it was fine. I now have a 1/2 acre for the dogs and sometimes I think I like not having a yard better. They get into more stuff in their own, on a leash I was able to control their intake of sticks, bark, and insects:(

#4 ·
Mine is a working line and he gets along just fine in my 440 sq ft apartment. I think he actually likes it better than the house I lived in previously because we get out more to get his physical and mental stimulation, so he gets more focused time with me. Not that he didn't get much of that with the house, but it was also easy to let him out in the yard, throw a ball a couple times then come back in and hang around. Here we go out and walk, we find new parks to play fetch in, we practice obedience in nearby stores and along our walks.

Being in an apartment just means being more committed to getting your dog out and about for stimulation.

#6 ·
I had two adult dogs in an 800sq ft apartment. They did just fine. We were in an apartment for 2 years. No problems.

#7 ·
I never had a dog in apartment but as long as the dog gets exercise you should be fine. If you have a yard where he can go potty and your at home anyway I don't see a problem.

My guy is pretty much within 5 feet of me all the time anyway, so the size of the living space doesn't really make a great deal of difference to him! :)

#8 ·
I live in a townhouse and my two shepherds do great! The key is to get out an be active with your dog daily. I don't believe the yard matters. I would never leave a GSD unsupervised even if I had a huge fenced yard, too much can happen if not supervised.
I take my two out individually, train, play with flirt pole, throw a ball, and just interact with them as individual. My husband and I walk them together every night about 3-5 miles. It takes work but if you truly love the breed and your pet it is well worth it!!

#9 ·
I also lived in a townhouse, 2 floors, a total of 800 square feet, with a small fenced in yard. I had two GSDs and they got along great ... we went to the park everyday (except when the weather was really mega nasty), lots of play time, dog training, walks around the neighborhood, etc. As long as the apartment management allows GSDs, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't get one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.